12.14.18

Karen Gillan Discusses Her Film, "The Party's Just Beginning"

"The Party's Just Beginning," directed and written by Karen Gillan, begins with the life of Liusaidh (Gillan), a young Scottish woman living with her parents in the Scottish Highlands. After a recent tragedy, her behavior is reckless, drunken, and often results in brief, casual liaisons. One such fling with a visitor to the town (Lee Pace) results in several other chance occurrences and in turn, begins the tale of three interwoven and still separate life narratives.

View Transcript

>>> OH, HELLO WORLD. WHAT IS UP? WELCOME TO BUILD. I’M YOUR HOST MATT FORTE. WE'RE HERE LIVE AT THE BUILD STUDIO IN NEW YORK CITY. OUR NEXT GUEST HAS BEEN IN ALL YOUR FAVORITE STUFF. YOU'VE SEEN HER COVERED IN BLUE ACROSS A WHOLE BUNCH OF MARVEL MOVIES. AND YOU FIRST FELL IN LOVE WITH HER ON "DR. WHO". BUT DID YOU KNOW THE WHOLE TIME BETWEEN ALL OF THAT STUFF, SHE'S BEEN WRITING AND DIRECTING BAD ASS SHORT FILMS? BECAUSE SHE HAS. NOW SHE'S MADE HER DEBUT WITH "THE PARTY'S JUST BEGINNING" AND IT IS A FANTASTIC FILM EXAMINING SMALL TOWN LIFE, HOW WE DEAL WITH LOSS. IT HAS ONE HELL OF A SOUND TRACK. THIS FILM IS AWESOME. SHE IS AWESOME. THE GREAT KAREN GILLAN IS HERE. HOW DO WE FEEL ABOUT KAREN? ARE WE EXCITED? ARE WE EXCITED? THAT'S RIGHT. WOO, INDEED, MY FRIENDS. WE'LL BRING HER OUT IN A SECOND. BUT FIRST I BELIEVE WE HAVE A TRAILER FOR THE FLICK. LET'S RUN THAT CLIP.

>> YOU'RE LOOKING A WEE BIT PUFFY AT THE MOMENT. THE BAGS UNDER YOUR EYES ARE STARTING TO DOMINATE.

>> OVERACTIVE IMAGINATION. WHY ARE WE SETTLING FOR SUCH BLATANT --

>> I LIKE IT. WHAT DO YOU THINK?

>> I THINK IT'S SENSATIONAL.

>> JOIN ME IN STARTING A NEW EXISTENCE WITHIN OURSELVES. COME ON! HUH? WHO'S WITH ME? YOUR LOSS.

>> YOU DON'T HAVE ANY HOPE. WORST OF ALL, YOU DON'T HAVE A BOYFRIEND.

>> MORNING, MISS.

>> WORST OF ALL?

>> I JUST WORRY ABOUT YOU.

>> BOY, YOU'RE A MESS.

>> I WASN'T ALWAYS LIKE THIS. IT'S COMING UP ON A YEAR NOW.

>> SOMETIMES IT FEELS LIKE THE WORLD'S GONE DEAD. I CAN'T TELL IF THEY CAN'T HEAR ME OR THEY'RE IGNORING ME. \M\M WHY ARE YOU SO HAPPY ALL THE TIME?

>> WHAT?

>> YOU'RE SMILING.

>> WHAT DO YOU MEAN?

>> STOP SMILING. STOP SMILING.

>> I'M NOT.

>> I CAN OFFER YOU A LIFE MORE MAGIC THAN ANY MUSHROOM EVER PICKED. A PERFECT EXISTENCE. LET'S NEVER GO OUT THERE.

>> LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, RIDICULOUS AMOUNT OF NOISE. KAREN GILLAN. IT'S KAREN GILLAN RIGHT HERE.

>> HELLO. WOW. THIS IS VERY EXCITING.

>> THIS IS VERY EXCITING. I AGREE.

>> I'VE WATCHED SO MANY OF THESE ON THE INTERNET. AND I'VE ALWAYS WANTED TO, LIKE, LOITER IN THE BACKGROUND ON THE STREET SO I COULD BE IN THE BACK OF THE SHOT.

>> FIRST OF ALL, I DON'T KNOW WHAT'S BEEN STOPPING YOU. BUT PLEASE TAKE -- FOLLOW THAT URGE.

>> ONE DAY, I WILL. WHEN YOU LEAST EXPECT IT.

>> DOESN'T MATTER WHO'S HERE. WE'RE JUST GOING TO BE LIKE, IS THAT KAREN? IS KAREN OUTSIDE RIGHT NOW? IT'S GOING TO BE FANTASTIC. WELL, CONGRATULATIONS ON THIS FILM.

>> THANK YOU.

>> ON BEING HERE AND NOT LOITERING ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE WINDOW BUT RATHER BEING HERE IN THE CHAIR.

>> IT'S BETTER ON THIS SIDE.

>> THERE'S HEATING IN HERE. IT'S COLD OUTSIDE. I AM SO EXCITED TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT THIS FILM, ABOUT THIS PROJECT. IT'S A WONDERFUL FILM. YOU SHOULD BE PROUD.

>> THANK YOU.

>> YOU REALLY SHOULD. BEFORE WE GET INTO THAT, HOW IS LIFE RIGHT NOW? HOW'S PRESS GOING? HOW’S EVERYTHING GOING?

>> IT'S GOING GREAT. I MEAN, YEAH. SORT OF FEEL ON TOP OF THE WORLD. BECAUSE I GET TO PUT MY MOVIE OUT INTO THE WORLD.

>> IT'S OUT IN THE WILD NOW.

>> YOU CAN WATCH IT. YOU CAN JUDGE IT. IT'S A DOUBLE EDGED SWORD.

>> TRUE. GOOD WITH THE BAD. PEOPLE CAN JUDGE IT. IT'S GETTING JUDGED REALLY WELL. I WILL SAY THAT. HAVE YOU NOT BEEN PAYING ATTENTION TO THAT?

>> I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO STAY OFF THE INTERNET A LITTLE BIT OUT OF PURE FEAR. HOWEVER, I'VE BEEN SEEING A FEW OF THE RESPONSES AND IT'S BEEN REALLY POSITIVE. I'M JUST SO HAPPY PEOPLE AREN'T HATING IT. YOU KNOW?

>> NOBODY HATES IT. I CAN TELL YOU THAT. CERTIFIED FRESH, ROTTEN TOMATOES. STILL FRESH.

>> THAT'S EXCITING.

>> NOT THAT THAT MATTERS. IT DOES AND IT DOESN'T.

>> IT DOESN'T MATTER UNTIL YOU'RE FRESH AND THEN IT MATTERS.

>> RIGHT? THEN IT MATTERS. THEN IT'S THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IN THE WORLD. WELL, LIKE I SAID, IT'S A GREAT MOVIE. AND RIGHTFULLY SO, NOBODY'S HATING IT. LET'S GET INTO IT. I'M EXCITED TO TALK TO YOU ALL ABOUT IT. ESPECIALLY THE WRITING BIT. I READ A THING SOMEWHERE THAT SAID THIS WAS A LONG-TIME PASSION PROJECT OF YOURS. I'M CURIOUS, YOU KNOW, WAS THIS A STORY THAT YOU HAD KICKING AROUND IN YOUR HEAD FOR AWHILE OR WERE YOU SORT OF SERENDIPITOUSLY INSPIRED WHEN YOU WENT HOME FOR THE FIRST TIME? LIKE, WHERE DID THIS START? WHERE DID THE SEED GET PLANTED?

>> I WROTE THE SCRIPT ABOUT SIX YEARS AGO WHEN I WAS, LIKE, FILMING OTHER THINGS AND ACTING IN OTHER PROJECTS. SO IT WOULD BE LIKE MY SIDE PROJECT. IT ALL BEGUN BECAUSE I READ A STATISTIC THAT THE SUICIDE RATES IN SCOTLAND WHERE I'M FROM ARE HIGHER. I WAS LIKE WHY? WHY IS THIS HAPPENING IN THIS PART OF THE WORLD? AND SO I JUST DECIDED I WANTED TO EXPLORE IT IN A MOVIE. HOWEVER, I WANTED TO WRITE SOMETHING FROM A FEMALE PERSPECTIVE, NATURALLY. AND SO THAT'S WHY THE LEAD CHARACTER IS A FEMALE KIND OF COPING WITH THOSE KIND OF INCIDENTS WITHIN THE TIME.

>> YEAH. FOR SURE. YOU WERE WORKING ON OTHER THINGS. THIS WAS SORT OF LIKE YOUR SIDE PROJECT. AS YOU LOOK BACK AND WATCH THIS FILM NOW, DO YOU SEE IF YOU WERE SUBCONSCIOUSLY INFLUENCED BY WHATEVER YOU WERE WORKING ON AT THE TIME?

>> WHICH WAS "GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY.” SO YEAH.

>> THAT IS FOLDED ALL THROUGHOUT THIS.

>> I MEAN, NOT THAT I'M AWARE OF, BUT, LIKE, OF COURSE I WOULD HAVE BEEN INFLUENCED BY AT LEAST THE DIRECTORS I WAS WORKING WITH. AND JUST LIKE PICKING UP SO MANY AMAZING TIPS ON HOW TO BE A DIRECTOR. I'VE BEEN SO FORTUNATE TO WORK WITH SOME OF THE BEST DIRECTORS IN THE INDUSTRY. AND SO I'VE JUST BEEN KIND OF, LIKE, TAKING LITTLE PIECES FROM EACH OF THEM AND FORMING MY OWN STYLE.

>> ANY OF THE SCRIPT PAGES HAVE A ROGUE BLUE THUMBPRINT JUST FROM THAT TIME WHERE YOU'RE WORKING IN BETWEEN TAKES?

>> THAT BLUE GETS EVERYWHERE.

>> YOU KNOW, ONE OF THE THINGS THAT I WAS MENTIONING BRIEFLY IN THE BACK AND IN THE INTRODUCTION IS YOU'VE DONE THESE REALLY COOL SHORT FILMS THAT ARE OUT THERE.

>> THANKS.

>> FOR SURE. AND ONE OF THEM IN PARTICULAR "CONVENTIONAL" THAT I WAS ABLE TO FIND ON YOUTUBE AND I WAS WATCHING, THERE'S A LITTLE SOMETHING THAT I KIND OF LIKE A TRICK WE SEE IN THE OPENING OF THE FILM AND MAYBE IT'S ME LOOKING FOR STUFF HERE. BUT I FEEL LIKE YOU'RE REALLY COMFORTABLE AND GOOD AT MONOLOGUING AND GETTING THESE GREAT STRETCHES OF THESE MONOLOGUE MOMENTS.

>> SELF-INDULGENT ACTOR.

>> THERE IT IS. NOT AT ALL. BUT IS THAT A TYPE OF STYLE OR WRITING THAT YOU'RE COMFORTABLE WITH? THAT'S LIKE A PART OF YOUR TOOL BELT? LIKE I CAN GET A GREAT MONOLOGUE IN HERE. I KNOW HOW TO WRITE THOSE.

>> I JUST LOVE A GOOD MONOLOGUE. FROM AN ACTOR'S STANDPOINT, THERE'S NOTHING -- NO, THERE IS SOMETHING MORE FUN WHICH IS A BACK AND FORTH DIALOGUE WITH ANOTHER PERSON. THAT'S MY FAVORITE AS AN ACTOR. BUT, LIKE, JUST A GOOD BREAKDOWN MONOLOGUE IS ONE OF MY PERSONAL FAVORITES. JUST WATCHING SOMEONE SPIRAL WITHOUT EVEN REALLY TALKING TO ANYONE ELSE IN THE MIDDLE OF IT IS -- I JUST LOVE IT. I LOVE PERFORMING IT. I LOVE WATCHING IT. AND SO I HADN'T KNOWN I PUT IT IN BOTH MY FILMS UNTIL YOU POINTED THAT OUT.

>> IT'S NOT LIKE AN OVERT THING, IT'S JUST A COOL LITTLE THING. YOU'RE VERY GOOD AT IT. WHEN YOU TALK ABOUT HOW YOU CAME UPON THIS DISTURBING STATISTIC THAT SORT OF SPAWNED EVERYTHING, AS YOU'RE SORT OF HANDLING AN EXPLORING LOSS AND SUICIDE AND ALL THESE DIFFERENT TOPICS, WERE YOU INTIMIDATED IN TACKLING THOSE AS A WRITER OF COMING OUT IN A RIGHT WAY.

>> SO INTIMIDATED. YOU TREAT THAT SUBJECT MATTER WITH SENSITIVITY. YOU DON'T WANT TO BE CARELESS OR ANY OF THOSE THINGS. AND SO I TRIED TO BE AS CAREFUL AS I COULD AND TO DO MY RESEARCH. HOPEFULLY I HANDLED IT WITH ENOUGH RESPONSIBILITY.

>> I THINK FOR SURE. WHAT WAS THE RESEARCH PROCESS LIKE? WHAT DOES THAT LOOK LIKE?

>> THAT WAS A LOT OF ONLINE RESEARCH TRYING TO UNDERSTAND THE STATE OF MIND OF SOMEBODY WHO'S DEALING WITH THOSE ISSUES. TALKING TO PEOPLE WHO WORK AT HELPLINES AND THAT AREA. JUST KIND OF HEARING PEOPLE'S STORIES AND TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHY THE SUICIDE RATES ARE HIGHER IN THAT PART OF THE WORLD COMPARED TO OTHERS.

>> DID YOU EVER ARRIVE -- I KNOW IT'S KIND OF LIKE A QUESTION THAT CAN'T REALLY BE ANSWERED BUT DID YOU EVER ARRIVE AT SOME KIND OF CONCLUSION OR SOMETHING APPROXIMATE MATING AN ANSWER THAT I CAN SEE.

>> EVERYONE HAS THEIR OWN EXPERIENCES BUT COMMUNICATION IS SOMETHING THAT CAME UP AGAIN AND AGAIN. I MEAN, I THINK -- I'M GENERALIZING, BUT ON THE WHOLE MEN FIND IT HARDER TO COMMUNICATE THEIR EMOTIONS THAN WOMEN DO. AND SO A LOT OF MEN KIND OF WANT TO BURY IT BECAUSE THEY FEEL IT MIGHT BE SHOWING WEAKNESS OR THERE'S STIGMA ATTACHED TO IT. THEREFORE THEY CAN END UP IN SITUATIONS WHERE THEY DON'T FEEL THEY CAN EXPRESS THEMSELVES AND THEN TERRIBLE THINGS CAN HAPPEN FROM THAT.

>> WAS IT EVER -- I DON'T KNOW IF WEIRD'S THE WORD, BUT YOU'RE SITTING THERE AND YOU'RE DELVING DEEP INTO THIS TOPIC AND YOU'RE WRITING THESE CHARACTERS AND YOU GO TO BED AND YOU WAKE UP AND GO TO WORK. YOU'RE LIKE, SO THERE'S GOING TO BE A RACCOON THAT TALKS THREE FEET TO YOUR LEFT. LIKE, BALANCING THOSE TWO WORLDS. WORKING ON "GUARDIANS" AND WORKING ON THIS STORY, HOW DID YOUR BRAIN OSCILLATE BETWEEN THOSE TWO DRASTICALLY DIFFERENT PLANETS?

>> THAT'S SO FUNNY. I NEVER EVEN THOUGHT ABOUT IT. BECAUSE IT JUST BECOMES SO NORMAL. LIKE, YOU'RE TALKING TO A RACCOON NOW THAT'S A HUMAN CROUCHED ON THE FLOOR.

>> EXACTLY. YOU'VE GOT THIS LITTLE DUDE WITH DOTS ALL OVER HIM RIGHT HERE.

>> YEAH. SHAWN GUNN.

>> AND YOU HAVE TO IMAGINE WHAT THE WORLD IS.

>> IT HAD BECOME SO NORMAL FOR ME AT THAT POINT BECAUSE BEFORE THAT I WORKED ON A TV SHOW CALLED "DOCTOR WHO.”

>> NEVER HEARD OF IT.

>> OH, I SEE. A FEW "DOCTOR WHO" FANS IN THE HOUSE. IT WAS NORMAL FOR ME TO TALK TO ALIENS, BEING ON A SPACESHIP.

>> IF THERE'S A SHOW THAT'S GOING TO GET YOU READY FOR THAT, THAT'S IT.

>> IT'S TRUE. I WAS SO NERVOUS MY FIRST DAY ON "GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY.” AND IT WAS JUST A SPACESHIP. I'M LIKE, I'LL SHOW YOU THE ROPES.

>> THAT'S INCREDIBLE. I GOT THIS. I'VE BEEN HERE MANY TIMES BEFORE. LET ME -- YOU KNOW, YOU'VE TALKED ABOUT THIS IN OTHER INTERVIEWS BEFORE. DOING STUFF LIKE "DOCTOR WHO” IT'S OPENED DOORS TO MAKE THE MOVIE YOU WANT TO MAKE. THOSE DOORS THAT IT'S OPENED, DID YOU KNOW EARLY ON THAT YOU WANTED TO WALK THROUGH THEM? OR WAS THIS DESIRE TO MAKE YOUR OWN STUFF SOMETHING YOU FOUND ALONG THE WAY WHILE WORKING ON THOSE PROJECTS?

>> I THINK I KIND OF ALWAYS KNEW I WANTED TO END UP DOING DIRECTING EVENTUALLY. WHEN I WAS A KID I HAD THIS VIDEO CAMERA AND I WOULD MAKE ALL THESE HORROR FILMS AROUND MY HOUSE. I STILL HAVE THEM. ONE DAY I'M GOING TO HAVE TO POST ONE OF THEM.

>> WHY COULDN'T I FIND THOSE ON YOUTUBE?

>> BECAUSE THEY'RE NOT AVAILABLE. THEY'RE NOT OUT YET.

>> NOT RELEASED YET.

>> BUT NO. I WOULD ALWAYS CAST MY PARENTS IN THE ROLES AS WELL. AND I WOULD, LIKE, KILL MY DAD. POOR DAD. WE'RE FINE. WE HAVE A BRILLIANT RELATIONSHIP. WE DO. IT WAS JUST FUNNY. THERE WAS KETCHUP EVERYWHERE. THEY WERE SO ENCOURAGING. THEY WERE LIKE MAKE THIS AND GET KETCHUP EVERYWHERE. WHEN I MADE THIS, IT WAS LIKE THIS SAME THING BUT ON A BIGGER SCALE.

>> WE'RE GOING TO GO DEEP INTO THIS CHILDHOOD HORROR MOVIE THING. YOU CAST YOUR PARENTS. DID YOU REMEMBER ANY OF THE PLOTS YOU CONCOCTED OR THE STORYLINES YOU WOULD BUILD?

>> YEAH. LIKE, THERE WAS ONE WHERE I WAS, LIKE, THIS REALLY NICE SCHOOL GIRL DURING THE DAY. LIKE, HOW WAS WORK, DAD? AND THEN AT NIGHT, I WOULD PUT ON A LONG BLOND WIG AND TAKE OUT A KNIFE AND GO ON A KILLING SPREE.

>> WAIT. HOW OLD WERE YOU?

>> THIS TIME I MIGHT HAVE BEEN, LIKE, 12.

>> OKAY. THAT'S STILL GOOD.

>> THAT WAS ONE OF THE LATER MOVIES. AND THEN IT SORT OF ALL CULMINATED IN THIS BIG FINALE SEQUENCE WHERE I REVEALED MY TRUE IDENTITY TO MY FATHER AND THEN KILLED HIM.

>> DID YOUR PARENTS, LIKE, EVER SHOW THE FILMS TO, LIKE, FAMILY FRIENDS OR WHATEVER?

>> NO.

>> LIKE, LOOK AT WHAT KAREN DID. SHE'S A LITTLE MOVIE MAKER.

>> NO. FUNNILY ENOUGH, THEY DIDN'T WANT TO SHOW A MURDER.

>> I'LL DO THIS FOR YOU, BUT THIS GOES NOWHERE.

>> YEAH. DIDN'T DO THE ROUNDS, THAT ONE.

>> OH, MY GOSH. ALL RIGHT. WELL, YOU KNOW, WE COULD DO A WHOLE INTERVIEW JUST ON THAT. BUT YOU MENTIONED DOING THIS ON A LARGER SCALE. FORGIVE MY IGNORANCE. WERE YOU IN YOUR ACTUAL HOMETOWN THAT YOU FILMED THIS?

>> YES.

>> THIS WAS YOUR HOMETOWN?

>> IT WAS, YES. SO SOME OF THOSE LOCATIONS IN THE MOVIE WERE PLACES I REALLY DID EAT CHIPS AFTER A NIGHT OUT. AND MY FRIENDS ARE THE EXTRAS IN THE MOVIE. YEAH. AND SO IT WAS REALLY COOL. IT DOES FEEL AUTHENTIC EVEN THOUGH THE STORYLINE IS DEFINITELY FICTIONAL. HOWEVER, WE SHOT A LOT OF THE INTERIORS IN GLASGOW BECAUSE IT'S A BIGGER CITY.

>> SINCE YOU WERE SO FAMILIAR IN YOUR HOMETOWN, HOW MUCH OF THE MOVIE COULD YOU ALREADY SEE IN YOUR HEAD? I WANT TO DO THIS IN THIS SPOT WHERE THIS HAPPENED.

>> PRETTY MUCH ALL OF IT. I WROTE IT TO REAL LOCATIONS. THEN I STORY BOARDED THE WHOLE MOVIE MYSELF BEFORE EVEN STARTING WORK ON IT.

>> LIKE, YOU DID THE WHOLE THING YOURSELF?

>> THE WHOLE THING. OH, MY GOD. YEAH. BUT IT WAS AMAZING BECAUSE THEN I COULD SORT OF JUST WATCH THE MOVIE. AND THEN OBVIOUSLY WE DEVIATED FROM THAT WHEN I HIRED A DP AND HE WAS INCREDIBLE AND HAD HIS OWN IDEAS. THEN WE CAME UP WITH BETTER STUFF.

>> THAT'S SO AMAZING. WHAT WOULD YOU SAY OTHER THAN LEE PACE, WHAT DID YOU BRING WITH YOU FROM THOSE BIG PROJECTS THAT YOU'VE DONE? YOU MENTIONED BRIEFLY EARLIER GETTING TO SEE THE OTHER DIRECTORS, BUT WATCHING HOW SOMETHING OF THAT SCALE, SAY, GUARDIANS OR ANY OF THE AVENGERS FILMS, WHAT DID YOU BRING WITH YOU WHEN YOU WERE ON YOUR SET? DID ANY OF THAT TRANSFER? OR WAS IT JUST TOO DIFFERENT A WORLD?

>> THAT'S AN INTERESTING QUESTION. BECAUSE IT IS TOTALLY DIFFERENT BECAUSE THEY'RE GIANT HUGE MOVIES AND THIS WAS THE TINIEST MOVIE EVER. IT WAS A THREE-WEEK SHOOT. MAD, MAD RUSH. WE DIDN'T HAVE ANY OF THE LOVELY PERKS THE BIG MOVIES HAVE. HOWEVER, ULTIMATELY IT FELT LIKE THE SAME THING. WHEN IT CAME DOWN TO IT, SOMEBODY SHOUTED ACTION. WAIT. IT WAS ME. I, LIKE, FORGOT, BECAUSE I DON'T USUALLY DO IT. SOMEBODY, OH WAIT I DID THAT.

>> THAT WAS YOU.

>> AND THEN IT WAS KIND OF THE SAME. SO I FEEL LIKE I MUST HAVE TAKEN A LOT OF MY EXPERIENCES FROM THOSE MOVIES AND DEFINITELY FROM THE DIRECTORS I'VE WORKED WITH. LIKE JAMES GUNN AND THE RUSSO BROTHERS. JUST ALL OF THESE AMAZING PEOPLE I'VE COME ACROSS AND LEARNED FROM.

>> YOU KIND OF HAVE A FRONT ROW SEAT TO A MASTER CLASS --

>> IT'S AMAZING. I GET TO SHADOW THE BEST ONES.

>> YOU'RE SHADOWING THE BEST NAMES OUT THERE. IT'S HARD NOT TO ABSORB SOMETHING.

>> OF COURSE.

>> YOU JUST MENTIONED THERE WAS A NAME -- THAT'S RIGHT, IT WAS ME. DID THAT HAPPEN OFTEN ON THE SET LIKE YOU HAD TO DO SOMETHING THAT WAS DIRECTORY, BUT YOU DIDN'T REMEMBER YOU WERE THE DIRECTOR?

>> YEAH. BECAUSE I'M USED TO BEING THE ACTOR AND HAVING SOMEONE TO TURN TO LIKE, WAS THAT OKAY? BUT THERE WAS NO ONE. I HAD TO ASK MYSELF. WAS THAT OKAY? YES, YES, IT WAS. THAT WAS BRILLIANT, IN FACT. YOU'RE SO GOOD AT THIS.

>> WELL DONE, KAREN. WE SHOULD DO THAT AGAIN TOMORROW? BACK AND FORTH WITH YOURSELF. WHAT ABOUT LEE? HOW'D YOU GET HIM INVOLVED IN THE FILM?

>> I CAN'T BELIEVE I GOT LEE PACE. HE'S SO AMAZING. HOW DID THAT EVEN COME ABOUT?

>> WAS THAT PRETTY SIMPLE, STRAIGHTFORWARD?

>> I THINK SO. SO WE'D WORKED TOGETHER ON "GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY.” WE WERE BAD GUYS TOGETHER. AND I NEEDED SOMEONE TO PLAY DALE. I WAS LIKE, WE'RE RUNNING OUT OF TIME. I THOUGHT LEE PACE WOULD BE AMAZING BUT HE'D NEVER DO IT IN A MILLION YEARS. I SORT OF TEXTED HIM AND SAID WOULD YOU BE INTERESTED IN THIS TINY MOVIE IN SCOTLAND WITH ME. HE READ THE SCRIPT AND SAID YES. HE CAME TO SCOTLAND. IT'S ONE OF THOSE MOMENTS WHERE YOU'RE LIKE, I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT WORKED.

>> THAT'S AMAZING. YOU GUYS WERE GREAT IN THIS FILM. I'M GETTING THE SIGNAL WE NEED TO TURN IT TO THE AUDIENCE IN A SECOND. BUT I'D BE CRAZY NOT TO TALK ABOUT SOMETHING THAT REALLY STOOD OUT. THE SOUND ON THIS FILM AND THE USE OF MUSIC AND SOUND. THERE'S A SCENE IN PARTICULAR THAT I'LL TALK ABOUT WITHOUT SPOILING TOO MUCH, BUT THERE'S A CREAKING NOISE.

>> OH, THE CREAK.

>> THE WAY YOU USE THAT TO KEEP WHAT SHE JUST SAW SORT OF LINGERING WITH HER AND THE WAY IT COMES BACK AND RECALLS MEMORIES FOR HER. IT'S FREAKING AMAZING. I LOVED THAT WHOLE SEQUENCE. SO COOL. I'M CURIOUS NOT JUST THAT SEQUENCE SPECIFICALLY BUT FOR YOU AS THE DIRECTOR, AS THE WRITER, WHAT WAS YOUR APPROACH? HOW IMPORTANT WAS SOUND TO YOU? HOW MUCH OF THAT DID YOU HAVE TO CONSTRUCT AND FIND AS YOU WERE MAKING THE FILM AND COMING UP WITH THESE DIFFERENT MOMENTS AND SEQUENCES?

>> IT WAS INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT TO ME. AND THOSE CREAKS WERE IN THE SCRIPT. SO IT WAS ALREADY A DECISION THAT I JUST THOUGHT OF AND I DON'T KNOW WHERE IT CAME FROM, BUT I THOUGHT THIS IS GOING TO BE COOL. SO I'M GLAD YOU LIKED IT.

>> IT WAS. IT WAS REALLY COOL. IT WAS JUST IS A REALLY NEAT WAY, AGAIN, TO USE SOUND TO KEEP AN EMOTION GOING, KEEP A VIBE GOING. THE SOUND TRACK'S AMAZING. YOU USE MUSIC TO BUILD A LOT OF TENSION.

>> YEAH. THAT WAS OUR AMAZING COMPOSER. I HAD NO PLANS FOR THIS THUMPING PARTY SOUND TRACK WHICH IS SO STRANGE TO ME NOW. IT SEEMS LIKE, OF COURSE, THAT'S IT. IT'S PART OF THE IDENTITY OF THE MOVIE. BUT HE JUST OFFERED IT UP ONE DAY IN POST-PRODUCTION AND WE ALL KIND OF SAT THERE IN THE EDIT AND WENT, OH, THIS IS KIND OF PERFECT.

>> YEAH. IT MAKES IT ITS OWN THING. LIKE, IT'S SUCH A BIG PART OF IT.

>> YEAH. HUGELY.

>> LAST COOL MOMENT WHEN SHE PULLS THE SWEATER OVER AND BACK UP. THAT WAS A COOL MOMENT TOO. GOOD JOB.

>> YEAH. WE HAD CUT UP A JUMPER AND LITERALLY PUT IT OVER THE CAMERA LENS.

>> THAT'S SO COOL. ALL RIGHT. SO ONE LAST THING BECAUSE I WOULDN'T BE DOING MY JOB IF I DIDN'T BRING THIS UP. HERE WE GO. NOW, I KNOW YOU GET THIS EVERYWHERE AND I KNOW YOU CAN'T SAY ANYTHING.

>> IS IT AVENGERS?

>> MAYBE IT IS, MAYBE IT'S NOT. HERE WE GO. ALL RIGHT. SO THE TRAILER JUST DROPPED. WE ALL KNOW THAT. THAT WE CAN AGREE ON. SO I GOT TO ASK YOU SOMETHING. HERE'S WHAT I WILL ASK YOU BECAUSE I CAN'T ASK YOU ABOUT THE FILM AND STORY. WHY WOULD I WANT TO KNOW ANY OF THAT? WHAT I WANT TO KNOW IS YOU, KAREN, AS A PERSON WHEN SOMETHING LIKE THAT HAPPENS, WE ALL GET VERY EXCITED. DO YOU GET EXCITED TOO? OR DO YOU DREAD THAT NOW I'VE GOT TO GO OUT AND TAP DANCE AROUND ALL THESE QUESTIONS THAT I CAN'T ANSWER? LIKE, WHAT IS YOUR EMOTION WHEN A BIG TRAILER LIKE THAT DROPS OR A BIG THING HAPPENS? HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT IT?

>> JUST AS EXCITED AS EVERYBODY ELSE. YEAH, BECAUSE I HAVEN'T SEEN IT UNTIL -- LIKE, THEY DON'T SHOW ME IN ADVANCE. SO I'M LIKE, OH, MY GOD. THAT'S PROBABLY MY FIRST REACTION.

>> DID I MAKE IT?

>> AM I THERE?

>> THAT'S REALLY INTERESTING TO THESE MOVIES. THE LEVEL OF SECRECY IS SO MUCH SO I HEARD YOU SAYING ON ANOTHER THING THAT YOU DON'T EVEN REALLY KNOW -- YOU HAVE JUST ENOUGH CONTEXT TO GIVE THEM YOUR SCENE. BUT THAT'S ABOUT IT. LIKE, YOU DON'T KNOW.

>> I DON'T KNOW HOW IT FITS IN. I MEAN, I WANT TO WATCH THE MOVIE BECAUSE I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO EXPECT. I DON'T KNOW THE STORY.

>> YOU'RE SEEING IT FOR THE FIRST TIME.

>> ABSOLUTELY.

>> WHICH FANS ARE MORE INTENSE? MARVEL OR WHO FANS? PICK A FAVORITE. DO IT! DIVIDE THE CROWD!

>> I CAN'T DO THIS! WHOEVER LIKES BOTH WINS.

>> THERE YOU GO. WELL DONE.

>> DIPLOMATIC.

>> THAT'S WHY WE LOVE YOU. THANK YOU FOR INDULGING ME. THANK YOU FOR MAKING THIS INCREDIBLE MOVIE. LET'S ANSWER SOME AUDIENCE QUESTIONS. FIRST QUESTION IS GOING TO BE HERE. GO FOR IT!

>> HI. I LOVE THE FILM AND I WANTED TO TOUCH AGAIN ON MUSIC BECAUSE IT WAS SO POWERFUL IN THE MOVIE. SO I WAS WONDERING IF USING MUSIC TO KIND OF DROWN OUT LIFE IS RELATIVE TO YOU AT ALL IN YOUR REAL LIFE.

>> 100%. I THINK MOST PEOPLE CAN PROBABLY RELATE TO TURNING TO MUSIC IN TIMES OF NEED OR, YOU KNOW, WHEN YOU'RE FEELING DOWN YOU MIGHT LISTEN TO SOMETHING THAT INDULGES THAT DOWNESS OR LIFTS YOU UP AND IS MORE JOVIAL. THIS CHARACTER, SHE JUST TURNS TO PARTYING IN GENERAL WHEN SHE'S NOT FEELING GREAT ABOUT HERSELF. AND THAT DEFINITELY INCLUDES, LIKE, THUMPING RAGING MUSIC AND ALCOHOL THAT SORT OF LENDS ITSELF WELL TO THAT MUSIC. BUT I THINK IT'S A PRETTY NATURAL HUMAN REACTION AND PRIMAL TOO.

>> DO YOU HAVE A PARTICULAR SONG THAT YOU FIND YOURSELF GOING TO THAT, LIKE, THIS IS MY GO-TO TRACK? IF I'M HAPPY, I LISTEN TO THIS. IF I NEED A PICK ME UP, THIS IS THE SONG I GO TO. OR IS IT MORE ECLECTIC? MORE ALL OVER?

>> IF I NEED A PICK ME UP, I LISTEN TO SOME CLASSIC ROCK.

>> YEAH?

>> YEAH. LIKE FREE, CREDENCE CLEARWATER.

>> BAD ASS.

>> JUST SOME FUN POUNDING GUITAR MUSIC.

>> DID THAT STEM FROM BEFORE "GUARDIANS" OR DID YOU LEARN OF NEW MUSIC WHILE YOU WERE WORKING ON THEM? I FEEL LIKE A NEW GENERATION OF PEOPLE HAVE BEEN EXPOSED TO AWESOME CLASSIC ROCK AND SONGS OF THAT GENERATION BECAUSE OF THAT MOVIE.

>> YEAH, I THINK THAT DID INTRODUCE ME IN SOME WAYS TO THE '70s. I LIKED MUSIC AROUND THAT ERA ANYWAYS. BUT I DID FIND MORE AND HE PLAYED THEM WHILE FILMING THE MOVIE.

>> REALLY? SO YOU WOULD HEAR THAT ON SET.

>> WE ALL HAD EAR PIECES. WE ALL SORT OF UNITED BY THIS ONE MUSICAL FORCE WHICH REALLY, REALLY DOES AFFECT THE PERFORMANCES.

>> YEAH. THAT IS INTERESTING. SO IT'S ALMOST LIKE IT WAS CHOREOGRAPHED AND YOU WERE ALL FEELING THE SAME VIBE AT THE SAME TIME.

>> YEAH. ALL REACTING SLIGHTLY DIFFERENTLY BUT UNITED IN SOME WAY.

>> MY GOSH. YOU THINK YOU'LL IMPLEMENT THAT ON A FUTURE PROJECT YOU DO?

>> I WOULD LOVE TO. I KNOW HOW MUCH OF A DIFFERENCE IT MAKES TO AN ACTOR. THANK YOU FOR YOUR QUESTION. WE'VE GOT A FEW MORE. NEXT ONE IS GOING TO BE RIGHT HERE. GO FOR IT.

>> HELLO.

>> HI.

>> I WANT TO START OFF BY SAYING I'VE BEEN A FAN SINCE "DOCTOR WHO" AND I LOVE EVERYTHING YOU DO. BAD ASS IN EVERYTHING.

>> THANK YOU.

>> MY QUESTION WAS HOW DIFFERENT IS WORKING ON SOMEBODY'S FILM VERSUS WORKING ON YOUR OWN?

>> GOOD QUESTION. YOU KNOW, IT'S PRETTY DIFFERENT. YOU'VE GOT SO MUCH MORE RESPONSIBILITY WHEN IT'S YOUR OWN MOVIE. YOU CAN'T TURN TO THE DIRECTOR AND BE LIKE, WELL, THIS ISN'T VERY GOOD. YOU KNOW? I JUST ACTED IN IT. I MEAN, THERE'S THIS WHOLE OTHER, YOU KNOW, YOU HAVE TO LEAD THE CHARGE. HOWEVER, IT KIND OF MAKES IT EASIER IN A WAY BECAUSE THERE'S NOBODY TO ANSWER TO ALMOST. YOU DO HAVE CREATIVE FREEDOM AS AN ACTOR. SOMETIMES THAT'S GOOD, SOMETIMES THAT'S BAD. BECAUSE IT IS GOOD TO COLLABORATE AND HAVE TWO BRAINS ON SOMETHING RATHER THAN ONE. THERE IS SOMETHING SO FREEING ABOUT BEING ABLE TO DO WHATEVER THE HELL I WANT. AND I WOULD GIVE MYSELF OPTIONS LIKE FIVE DIFFERENT TAKES. THEN I WOULD CONSTRUCT THE PERFORMANCE IN THE EDIT. IT WAS REALLY FUN TO WORK ON MY OWN MOVIE. IT'S SOMETHING I WOULD LOVE TO DO AGAIN.

>> THANK YOU FOR THAT QUESTION. WAS THERE -- DID YOU EVER, LIKE, PHONE A FRIEND? DID YOU GET TO A POINT WHERE YOU WERE LIKE, I NEED ANOTHER SET OF EYES? OR DID YOU SOLDIER THROUGH AND SAY I WANTED THIS, I'M GOING TO FIGURE THIS OUT.

>> WE ONLY HAD THREE WEEKS TO SHOOT IT. SO THERE WASN'T MUCH TIME FOR ME TO BE DELIBERATING WITH ANYTHING. YOU HAD TO GO FOR IT. I HAD AN AMAZING PRODUCER ON THE MOVIE WHO WAS MY EYES BEHIND THE MONITOR. I WOULD BASICALLY TELL HER TO LOOK FOR CERTAIN THINGS DURING TAKES AND I'D BE LIKE, DID WE GET IT? AND I'D BE LIKE, OKAY.

>> IT'S SOMETHING.

>> YEAH. THERE WAS SOMETHING IN THE SHOT. AND SO SHE REALLY KIND OF HELPED ME A LOT IN THE PROCESS.

>> WE'VE GOT TIME FOR TWO MORE. TWO MORE QUESTIONS. NEXT ONE IS RIGHT HERE IN THE MIDDLE. GO FOR IT.

>> HI. I HAVE A QUESTION FROM MY FRIEND KAREN WHO COULDN'T BE HERE TODAY BUT SHE ADMIRES YOU SO MUCH AS WE ALL DO.

>> THANKS, KAREN.

>> SO COULD YOU TOUCH MORE UPON YOUR ACTUAL EXPERIENCE ON SET BEING BOTH THE DIRECTOR AND THE ACTOR AND LIKE YOU SAID WHAT IT MEANS TO SAY ACTION AND THEN THROW YOURSELF INTO THE SCENE AND HOW YOU DEALT WITH ALL OF THAT?

>> YEAH. IT WAS MULTITASKING TO THE HIGHEST DEGREE. I MEAN, BECAUSE YOU'RE THINKING ABOUT THE SHOTS. YOU'RE THINKING ABOUT THE OVERALL STORY AND WHERE IT FITS IN. AND YOU'RE THINKING ABOUT YOUR OWN PARTICULAR PERFORMANCE. AND IT WAS -- I MEAN, IT WAS ACTUALLY -- IT FELT KIND OF NATURAL IN A WAY. LIKE, IT DIDN'T FEEL AS OVERWHELMING AS I EXPECTED IT TO. THERE IS A WEIRD MOMENT WHERE I REALIZED I NEED TO SHOUT ACTION. SO I'D BE INTENSELY IN A SCENE. THEN I'D BE LIKE, CUT. AND THEN BACK INTO IT. IN TERMS OF ACTING, LIKE, THERE WAS A COUPLE OF TIMES I HAD SOME CRYING SCENES AND I FOUND IT DIFFICULT TO TAB INTO IT WHICH I HAVEN'T EXPERIENCED TOO MUCH BEFORE BECAUSE I'M USUALLY GETTING IN THE ZONE FOR AWHILE AND I DIDN'T HAVE THAT LUXURY THIS TIME. SO I ACTUALLY COULDN'T CRY. I REMEMBER, LIKE, SHOUTING TO THE WHOLE CREW, I'M TOO HAPPY! I'M DIRECTING A MOVIE! I CAN'T CRY! AND THEN THERE'S NOTHING WE COULD DO. LIKE, NOTHING WAS HAPPENING.

>> SO YELL OUT, THE MOVIE'S BEEN CANCELED. GOT IT, ROLL.

>> JUST FULL TEARS. I ACTUALLY ENDED UP DOING RESHOOTS FOR MYSELF. THAT'S THE BEAUTY OF BEING THE DIRECTOR. YOU CAN BE LIKE, WE'LL GET THIS ANOTHER DAY.

>> THAT'S PRETTY WILD. DID IT TAKE YOU TIME TO FIND THE CONFIDENCE TO BE LIKE, YOU KNOW WHAT? IT'S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN NOW. WERE YOU IN YOUR HEAD AT FIRST?

>> YEAH. I REALLY TRIED. YEAH. AND WHEN I REALIZED IT WASN'T GOING TO HAPPEN, OF COURSE THERE'S THAT ELEMENT OF DISAPPOINTMENT IN YOURSELF. LIKE, WHY COULDN'T I DO THIS? IN RETROSPECT, OF COURSE IT'S BECAUSE I WAS ALL OVER EVERYTHING AND MY HEAD WASN'T FOCUSED ON JUST THE ACTING. SO IT WAS REALLY -- IT'S HARD TO JUST CRY ON CUE. ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU'RE THAT HAPPY.

>> IT'S LIKE A JOYOUS MOMENT. GREAT QUESTION. WE'RE GOING TO DO ONE MORE. ONE FINAL QUESTION. IT IS RIGHT HERE.

>> HI.

>> HI.

>> SO I WAS WONDERING IF YOU HAD ANY ADVICE FOR FUTURE FILM MAKERS. BECAUSE, LIKE, I KNOW YOU ARE A WOMAN IN THE FILM INDUSTRY AND IT'S REALLY INSPIRATIONAL TO SEE, LIKE, A STRONG WOMAN DIRECT AND WRITE HER OWN STUFF. I KNOW I WANT TO GO INTO FILM. SO I WAS WONDERING IF YOU HAD ANY ADVICE.

>> DO IT! THAT'S NOT GREAT ADVICE. BUT ALSO JUST DO IT. WE DEFINITELY NEED MORE FEMALES. SO I ENCOURAGE THIS WHOLEHEARTEDLY. PLEASE DO IT. I WOULD SAY -- I MEAN, I WOULD SAY IN THIS GENERATION, WE COULD BE SELF-GENERATING BECAUSE WE HAVE SO MUCH ACCESS TO CAMERAS AND WAYS TO UPLOAD THINGS ONLINE. I WOULD SAY START MAKING STUFF. LIKE, JUST START DOING IT NO MATTER WHAT LITTLE MONEY YOU HAVE TO DO IT. JUST FIGURE OUT A WAY. GET IT OUT THERE. AND THEN YOU'RE JUST GOING TO GET BETTER AND BETTER.

>> THAT'S A GREAT QUESTION. THAT WAS A GREAT ANSWER. GUYS, THANK YOU FOR BEING SUCH AN INCREDIBLE AUDIENCE. WE'RE GOING TO WRAP IT UP IN A SECOND. THE LAST THING I WANT TO ASK AND I'VE BEEN THINKING ABOUT THIS EVER SINCE WE FOUND OUT YOU DID ALL THOSE SHORT FILMS WHEN YOU WERE LITTLE THAT WERE HORROR THEMED. AND I'M THINKING OF "CONVENTIONAL,” WHICH IS KIND OF HORROR THEMED. AS YOU MOVE ONTO YOUR NEXT PROJECT AND AS WE'RE IN A TIME GOING OFF OF THAT LAST POINT, SOME PEOPLE SAYING WE DON'T HAVE ENOUGH FEMALE FILM MAKERS OUT THERE. BUT ESPECIALLY IN THE HORROR GENRE. ARE YOU AT ALL EYEING THE POSSIBILITY OF DOING A SCARY HORROR MOVIE? BIG DEAL DO IT?

>> 100%. OH, YEAH. DEFINITELY. THAT'S MY DREAM. I MEAN, YEAH. I KILLED MY OWN FATHER. I'M READY.

>> WHAT MORE OF A PEDIGREE DO YOU NEED? I KILLED MY FATHER ON CAMERA. THAT'S HOW MUCH YOU WANT IT. THAT'S FANTASTIC. YOU'VE GOT TO PROMISE WHEN THAT MOVIE COMES TO PASS BECAUSE IT WILL, YOU'VE GOT TO COME BACK AND TELL US ABOUT IT.

>> SOUNDS LIKE A PLAN. DEAL.

>> ALL RIGHT. COOL. GUYS, THE FILM "THE PARTY'S JUST BEGINNING," IT SOUNDS LIKE SOME OF YOU HAVE ALREADY SEEN IT. FOR THOSE THAT HAVEN'T, IT IS ON VOD RIGHT NOW. IT'S IN SELECT THEATERS AS WELL. GO OUT AND SEE IT. IT IS A FANTASTIC FILM. YOU DID A WONDERFUL JOB. EVERYBODY, MAKE SOME NOISE AND JOIN ME IN THANKING THE GREAT KAREN GILLAN RIGHT HERE.

>> THANK YOU.

Sherri Shepherd & Gabriel Iglesias

Individually, both Gabriel Iglesias and Sherri Shepherd are a blast! So you could imagine the riot we had with them taking the stage together...I mean this photo gives you an idea! 😂Be sure to watch our time with the "Mr. Iglesias" stars! (Photo Credit: Jammi York /BUILD )

Robin Givens

If you love her in "Riverdale," then get ready for an even edgier, more ambitious Robin Givens in the newest OWN series! Find out what she enjoyed most about filming the first season of "Ambitions." (Photo Credit: Jammi York /BUILD )

Emily Ratajkowski & Theo James

Quite the pair! 😍These two lovely actors teamed up to bring to life the new movie, "Lying & Stealing." Hear all about their experience working together and the awesome locations they filmed at.

(Photo Credit: Mike Pont /BUILD )

Chris Moukarbel & Lady Bunny

We're always overjoyed whenever a legend takes our stage! We sat down with the one and only Lady Bunny and director Chris Moukarbel to discuss the new HBO documentary, "Wig." P.S. Lady Bunny had some things to say about reality stars now! 👀

(Photo Credit: Mike Pont /BUILD )

Bella Thorne

Bella Thorne has no problem keeping it real and we applaud her for that! Don't miss this very candid and deep conversation we had with the actress, and now author, about her new book, "The Life of a Wannabe Mogul," career and life.

(Photo Credit: Noam Galai /BUILD )

Tessa Thompson & Chris Hemsworth

It's unfair how good-looking they are! 😩Find out what they had to say about teaming up again to shoot the new  "Men in Black: International." We couldn't forget our time with these two even if they used on a neuralyzer on us! 😎

(Photo Credit: Jammi York /BUILD )

Monét X Change with Gene Graham, Blaze & Fever

Oh, the tea that was spilled in this week's episode of "The X Change Rate"! Besides talking the latest in pop culture, Monét sat down with some folks behind the "This One's for The Ladies" documentary. And if you're a fan of "The Price is Right," you're in for quite the treat! 🤣🍆  (Photo Credit: Jammi York /BUILD )

Stana Katic

The Amazon Prime series, "Absentia," is back for another season! 🙌Stana Katic gave us some deets on what viewers can expect and her rewarding experience as lead and producer on the show thus far. Tune in! (Photo Credit: Jammi York /BUILD )

Julia Stiles

Sometimes wealth comes from the shadiest business as we see in Julia Stiles' great new show, "Riviera." Watch her explain how her character, Georgina, and the show has evolved from season 1 to season 2.  (Photo Credit: Jammi York /BUILD )

Sutton Foster, Miriam Shor, Molly Bernard & Peter Hermann of TV Land's "Younger" on BUILD Series

We always love having the "Younger" folks at BUILD and, honestly, we always will! 😍This time around we sat down to chat with Sutton Foster, Miriam Shor, Molly Bernard and Peter Hermann about what awaits viewers in season 6 of their hit series. (Photo Credit: Mike Pont /BUILD )

Jake Miller

Needless to say, we aren't the only ones who love Jake Miller! 💛Fans haven't been able to get enough of his latest EP, "Based On a True Story," and he's so appreciative of it. Check out our chat with the great and humble artist. (Photo Credit: Mike Pont /BUILD )

Elaine Welteroth

You are "More Than Enough" and if you don't believe it, let author and former Teen Vogue editor Elaine Welteroth convince you. Our discussion with Elaine about her book will leave you feeling empowered. Make sure to tune in! (Photo Credit: Jammi York /BUILD )

Alexandra Shipp, Jessie T. Usher, Regina Hall & Tim Story

These folks are some bad motherf...🤭We're only talking about the cast & director of "Shaft!" Hear all about the fun time Jessie T. Usher, Regina Hall, Alexandra Shipp and Tim Story had making the third installment of the popular blaxploitation film. (Photo Credit: Mike Pont /BUILD )

Carrie Preston & Niecy Nash

You know the ladies of "Claws" had to come with their nails on point! 💅Find out what awaits viewers in season 3 of the TNT drama from stars Niecy Nash and Carrie Preston. (Photo Credit: Jammi York /BUILD )

Monét X Change with RuPaul and Anthony Rapp

We kicked off the first "The X Change Rate" of Pride month with the one and only RuPaul and we put his pop trivia knowledge to the test! Monét also sat down with her "scissor sister" (insider 🤣) and "Star Trek: Discovery" star Anthony Rapp. Be sure to tune in! (Photo Credit: Jammi York /BUILD )

Jo Koy

🗣Netflix watchers be on alert cause Jo Koy is "Comin' In Hot!" ☄️We had a great time talking with the charmingly funny guy about his latest Netflix special that is sure to leave viewers cracking up. (Photo Credit: Mike Pont /BUILD )

Behati Prinsloo

She's a supermodel who not only makes time for the runway but to save rhinos; you gotta love her! Tune into our talk with Behati Prinsloo about her work with the organization, Save the Rhino Trust Namibia. 🦏 (Photo Credit: Mike Pont /BUILD )

Samira Wiley

Absolutely loved having Samira Wiley of "The Handmaid's Tale" stop by! ❤️ 🧡 💛 💚 💙 From what she's learned from her character to what she's taking away from her other hit series, "Orange Is the New Black," we had a great conversation with her.  (Photo Credit: Mike Pont /BUILD )

Sanaa Lathan

Always a pleasure having Sanaa Lathan! The lovely actress talked about her experience working on the rebooted classic sci-fi series headed by Jordan Peele, "The Twilight Zone." So do yourself a favor and replay our chat with her. 😬 (Photo Credit: Mike Pont /BUILD )

Wanda Sykes

Wanda Skyes is not normal...she's far above average with her outstanding activism, wit and comedy! She joined us to talk about her new Netflix special. Trust us, you're going to want to hear what she had to say! 😏 (Photo Credit: Noam Galai /BUILD )

Ellen Page, Alan Poul, Lauren Morelli, Charlie Barnett, Laura Linney & Zosia Mamet

Look at those smiles! 😁 These beautiful people are responsible for what's sure to be Netflix watchers' newest obsession, "Tales of the City." Hear what the cast and creators had to say about modernizing the 90s miniseries.

(Photo Credit: Noam Galai /BUILD )

Tyga

There aren't too many people that shine as bright T-Raww! 🤩Hip-hop lovers are in for quite the treat with Tyga's new album, "Legendary." Tune into to see who's featured in it.

(Photo Credit: Jammi York /BUILD )

Alycia Debnam-Carey, Colman Domingo, Danay Garcia, Austin Amelio & Jenna Elfman

They may star on a show all about death but these fine folks give us life! 🥰 Find out what zombie-infested fates await your favorite characters in the new season of the hit AMC series, "Fear the Walking Dead." 👀

(Photo Credit: Noam Galai /BUILD )

Patrick Page & Amber Gray

Put these two master actors on a stage and it's no surprise that you have a Tony-nominated musical. If you're a fan of Broadway's "Hadestown" or just stellar musicals in general, be sure to watch our chat with Patrick Page and Amber Gray. (Photo Credit: Mike Pont /BUILD )

Monét X Change & Colman Domingo

This picture is an understatement of how much fun we had with Colman Domingo on The X Change Rate! 🤑We talked Iggy Azalea leaving social media, we found out who Colman would "beat" or "eat" and so much more. Don't miss Monét being Monét! (Photo Credit: Noam Galai /BUILD )

Gabrielle Green, Ryan Alessi, Kate Godfrey, Chinguun Sergelen, Reece Caddell, Lex Lumpkin & Nathan Janak

These kids are the future and they're funny! 🤣Now although they have some big shoes to fill, they're up for the challenge! Check out how the young budding stars felt about joining the reboot of the beloved Nickelodeon sketch comedy, "All That." (Photo Credit: Michael Koehler /BUILD )

Albert Hammond Jr

Musician Albert Hammond Jr stopped by the studio to give us some details about his new single, "More to Life." Make sure to tune in to see what "Queer Eye" member sent him a super supportive video message! 👀 (Photo Credit: Jammi York /BUILD )

Kel Mitchell

90s kids rejoice...Kel Mitchell and "All That" are back! 🙌 The former star, who now co-executive produces alongside Kenan Thompson, told us all about the nostalgic and new bits in the show that will have audiences cracking up.

(Notice the orange soda on the side 😏)

(Photo Credit: Jammi York /BUILD )

DeWanda Wise

DeWanda Wise is as lovely as she is gorgeous, we promise you! 😍🤩 Find out what attracted the "She's Gotta Have It" star to the vibrant role of Nola Darling and how she approaches playing her. (Photo Credit: Mike Pont /BUILD )

Monét X Change & Logan Browning

The X Change Rate is officially open! We couldn't have had a better guest to join Monét X Change on our new show's debut than Logan Browning. Don't miss all the tea cause trust and believe there was some spilled! ☕️✌️ (Photo Credit: Jammi York /BUILD )

of