12.13.18

Natalie Portman & Director Brady Corbet Discuss "Vox Lux"

Directed by Brady Corbet, "Vox Lux" begins in 1999 when teenage Celeste (Raffey Cassidy) survives a violent tragedy. After singing at a memorial service, Celeste transforms into a burgeoning pop star with the help of her songwriter sister (Stacy Martin) and talent manager (Jude Law). Celeste's meteoric rise to fame dovetails with a personal and national loss of innocence, consequently elevating the young powerhouse to a new kind of celebrity: American icon, secular deity, global superstar. By 2017, adult Celeste (Natalie Portman) is mounting a comeback after a scandalous incident almost derailed her career. Touring in support of her sixth album, a compendium of sci-fi anthems entitled, "Vox Lux," the indomitable, foul-mouthed pop savior must overcome her personal and familial struggles to navigate motherhood, madness and monolithic fame.

View Transcript

>>> THANKS, EVERYBODY. WELCOME TO BUILD. I'M YOUR HOST RICKY CAMILLERI. THE LIFE OF THE POP STAR HAS LONG BEEN THE SUBJECT OF MOVIES, BUT ONLY ONE IN RECENT MEMORY HAS WANTED TO CONTEND WITH WHAT IT MEANS TO BE A HUMAN WHO IS ALSO A GLOBAL PRODUCT, A THING THAT MILLIONS AND MILLIONS OF PEOPLE USE TO SATIATE, SEDATE OR FEEL HOPE IN AN INCREASINGLY HOPELESS WORLD. THAT'S BRADY CORBET'S MOVIE CALLED "VOX LUX" STARRING NATALIE PORTMAN. LET'S TAKE A LOOK.

>> SO FROM THE PUBLIC'S PERSPECTIVE, THIS HAS BEEN AN EMOTIONAL FEW YEARS FOR YOU. CAN YOU TELL US WHAT AUDIENCES CAN EXPECT FROM THE NEW ALBUM.

>> THIS IS A CULMINATION OF MY LIFE'S WORK SO FAR. MY SHOW ABOUT REBIRTH.

>> SO TELL ME, HOW MANY OF YOU HAVE CRIED YOURSELF TO SLEEP AT NIGHT? PEOPLE HAVE BEEN TRYING TO TAKE ME DOWN FOR YEARS. BUT I WON'T STAY DOWN.

>> CELESTE, COME ON. EVERYBODY'S DOWNSTAIRS.

>> IT IS A WEIRD WORLD WE LIVE IN. AND THE WAY I'VE CHOSEN TO LIVE MY LIFE --

>> PLEASE DON'T FOLLOW ME.

>> GOES AGAINST SOME PEOPLE'S VIEWS ON THINGS.

>> CAN I GET A QUICK PICTURE WITH YOU?

>> MOM, I'M WORRIED ABOUT YOU.

>> YOU'RE WORRIED ABOUT ME? ALL THAT MATTERS IS THAT YOU HAVE AN ANGLE. I'M SCARED.

>> KEEP IT SIMPLE.

>> I'M SICK OF EVERYBODY TREATING ME LIKE I'M NOT A PERSON! \M\M

>> YOU WANTED A SHOW? I GAVE THEM A SHOW.

>> EVERYBODY, PLEASE WELCOME DIRECTOR BRADY CORBET AND THE WONDERFUL NATALIE PORTMAN. HI. [ APPLAUSE ]

>> HI.

>> THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR BEING HERE AND THANK YOU FOR MAKING THIS MOVIE. IT IS A VIEW OF --

>> THANK YOU FOR HAVING US.

>> IT IS A VIEW OF POP STARDOM WE HAVEN'T SEEN YET. USUALLY THEY'RE QUITE SENTIMENTAL, EVEN IF THE POP STAR HAS ISSUES OR A PROBLEM, USUALLY IT IS A DRUG PROBLEM OF SOME KIND AND IN THE END THEY COME OUT FOR THE BETTER. THIS IS NOT THAT. AND THANK GOD FOR IT. SO HOW DID IT START? WHAT MADE YOU WANT TO TAKE ON A ROLE LIKE THIS?

>> WELL, WHEN I GOT THE SCRIPT FROM BRADY, I WAS JUST SO BLOWN AWAY BY THIS CHARACTER BECAUSE SHE SEEMED VERY, VERY REAL, LIKE A REAL PERSON BECAUSE SHE WAS SO MANY DIFFERENT THINGS, LIKE, SHE COULD BE A COMPLETE MONSTER AND SHE COULD BE QUITE TOUCHING AND SHE COULD BE COMPLETELY ARTIFICIAL AND THEN SHE HAD, LIKE, MOMENTS OF BEING AUTHENTIC AND IT JUST FELT LIKE A REALLY INCREDIBLE CHALLENGE. AND THEN ALSO REALLY SPEAKING TO KIND OF THE WORLD WE LIVE IN RIGHT NOW WHERE POP CULTURE AND POLITICS AND VIOLENCE, EVERYTHING IS KIND OF, LIKE, PRESENTED IN THIS SAME WAY, LIKE WE'RE GETTING OUR NEWS IN -- ABOUT ALL OF THESE THINGS AS IF THEY HOLD THE SAME WEIGHT AND VALUE.

>> YOU MENTIONED THAT HER CHARACTER IS ALL OF THESE THINGS SORT OF WRAPPED INTO ONE AND WE HAVE SOME SCENES WHERE SHE IS ONE OF THOSE THINGS AND SOME SCENES WHERE SHE IS ANOTHER. THERE IS ONE SCENE, WE SAW IT IN THE TRAILER, YOU'RE FREAKING OUT IN THE BACK OF A STAGED ARENA, AND THAT SEEMS TO BE THE CULMINATION OF ALL OF THOSE THINGS. I LOVE THE PERFORMANCE IN THAT SCENE SO MUCH. YOU'RE DOING MULTIPLE LAYERS OF HER IN THAT MOMENT. I FOUND THAT SCENE TO BE REALLY HILARIOUS BECAUSE HOW SPOILED IT IS AND WHAT IT TURNS OUT SHE'S UPSET ABOUT IN THAT MOMENT. CAN YOU TALK ABOUT SORT OF CALIBRATING THE SCENE LIKE THAT AND WHAT KIND OF CONVERSATIONS YOU ARE HAVING GOING INTO THAT?

>> IT WAS NATALIE'S FIRST SCENE.

>> REALLY?

>> IT WAS THE FIRST THING WE SHOT ON DAY ONE WITH -- WHEN SHE ARRIVED. WE DOVE INTO, SHE DOVE IN, AND I TRIED TO KEEP UP. THE THING IS THAT -- WHEN WE ARRIVED, WE HAD TO EXECUTE WHAT WAS ON THE PAGE BECAUSE THIS PASHOS AND THIS SORT OF DARK COMEDY MELODRAMA, ALL THESE INGREDIENTS WERE IN THERE. BUT, OF COURSE, THEN IT IS UP TO US TO MAKE IT FUNCTION. AND FORTUNATELY BECAUSE WE HAD VERY LITTLE TIME TO SHOOT THE WHOLE FILM, THE FILM WAS SHOT IN 22 DAYS, AND NATALIE SHOT THE FILM IN TEN DAYS INCLUDING HER FINAL STAGE PERFORMANCE.

>> HOW MANY DAYS WAS THE FINAL STAGE PERFORMANCE?

>> ONE AND A HALF DAYS. THEREFORE SHE SORT OF SET THE TONE AND FORTUNATELY EVERYONE ELSE INCLUDING MYSELF FOLLOWED HER LEAD. I MEAN, THE THING IS THAT WE HAD ENOUGH DISCUSSIONS ABOUT THE STYLE AND TONE OF THE FILM THAT WE WERE ALL VERY MUCH ON THE SAME PAGE, BUT IT REQUIRED SOME REAL BRAVERY ON HER PART AND I WAS IMPRESSED ALSO.

>> YEAH, I ASKED BRADY A LOT ABOUT, LIKE, WHAT KIND OF DRUGS SHE WAS TAKING. AND SO HE INTRODUCED ME TO THE --

>> TO KETAMINE.

>> NOT THE ACTUAL EXPERIENCE, BECAUSE I'M A MOTHER OF TWO, I'M NOT GOING TO, LIKE, GO METHOD AND START TRIPPING.

>> TAKE A VACATION.

>> I WATCHED A LOT OF K-HOLE VIDEOS ON YOUTUBE WHICH ARE -- I MEAN, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THEM, NOT TO DO IT, DON'T ANYBODY GO DO IT, BUT --

>> THIS IS RIDICULOUS, TO BE A FLY ON THE WALL WATCHING NATALIE PORTMAN WATCH K-HOLE VIDEOS ON YOUTUBE.

>> THERE ARE A LOT OF THEM. IT IS SURPRISING. IT IS WILD. IT IS, LIKE, YOU CAN GO UP AND THEN GO DOWN AND GO BACK UP AGAIN AND THEN BE TOTALLY NORMAL AND THEN KIND OF GO DOWN AGAIN. I WAS, LIKE, WHAT IS THIS? WHAT IS THIS SUBSTANCE? VERY INTERESTING. SO IT WAS KIND OF A FUN ONE TO PRETEND BECAUSE IT CAN KIND OF VACILLATE BETWEEN BEING, LIKE, TOTALLY OUT OF IT AND THEN LOTS OF ENERGY AND THEN REALLY EMOTIONAL AND THEN, LIKE, ABLE TO PERFORM, YOU KNOW, AND IT KIND OF GOES ALL THOSE PLACES.

>> SOMEONE WHO IS SO INEBRIATED LIKE THAT AND SO MUCH OF THEIR EMOTIONS ARE A FUNCTION OF THE SUBSTANCE THAT THEY'RE ABUSING AT THE TIME, HOW DO YOU CONNECT TO THEM AS A PERFORMER? HOW DO YOU FIND THEIR -- OFTENTIMES YOU WANT TO FIND THE CORE OF WHAT MOTIVATES THAT PERSON, BUT SO MUCH OF THEIR MOTIVATION IS THE INEBRIATION, CAN YOU FIND THAT?

>> SHE'S SUCH A NARCISSIST, IT IS ALSO, LIKE, WHAT IS IMPORTANT TO HER IS, LIKE, HERSELF AND HOW OTHER PEOPLE SEE HER AND HOW SHE LOOKS AND SO -- BUT IT IS REAL. I MEAN, IT IS REAL. IT IS PAINFUL TO HER. SO --

>> HER ENTIRE LIFE HAS BEEN BUILT ON THAT.

>> WHAT SHE'S SAYING IS COMPLETELY ABSURD, HER SENTIMENT IS ABSURD, BUT HOW SHE FEELS ABOUT IT IS VERY, VERY REAL. AND ULTIMATELY THE SCENE IS QUITE DISTURBING. IT IS VERY FUNNY UNTIL IT'S NOT. AND THE FILM IS LIKE THAT IN GENERAL. IT IS FUNNY UNTIL IT'S NOT.

>> THE FILM OPENS WITH A -- ESSENTIALLY THE FIRST PART OF IT WHEN WE SEE CELESTE AS A CHILD SORT OF BECOMING THE BLOSSOMING POP STAR IF YOU WILL. IT OPENS IN A BURST OF SORT OF SENSELESS VIOLENCE AND TRAGEDY. WHERE DID THAT SPAWN FROM FOR YOU. WHERE DID THAT CONNECTION COME FROM FOR YOU. NOT JUST POP STARDOM BORN FROM TRAGEDY, BUT THE KIND OF -- I DON'T WANT TO GIVE ANYTHING AWAY FOR AN AUDIENCE WHO HASN'T SEEN IT, BUT THAT SPECIFIC KIND OF TRAGEDY LINKED TO WHO WE ARE NOW AND THE POP STARDOM.

>> I REMEMBER COLUMBINE IN 1999, IT WAS SOMETHING EXTREMELY UNUSUAL. AND IT ROCKED THE NATION. AND NOW THIS HAPPENS SO FREQUENTLY, THERE HAVE BEEN AS MANY MASS SHOOTINGS AS THERE HAVE BEEN DAYS IN THE YEAR, THAT THE THINGS HAVE CHANGED QUITE A BIT IN THE LAST 20 YEARS, THAT THIS IS THE NEW NORM. AND SO I DECIDED TO EXAMINE THE NATION SINCE THEN. SINCE THAT YEAR, SINCE THINGS CHANGED.

>> THERE IS A LINE IN THE FILM, EXCUSE ME FOR PARAPHRASING, I SAW THE FILM A COUPLE OF WEEKS AGO, SOMEONE SAYS SOMETHING TO THE EFFECT OF THESE PEOPLE, IN REGARDS TO THE SECOND SHOOTING, THESE PEOPLE ARE ESSENTIALLY TRYING TO USE CELESTE'S STARDOM AS A MEANS TO BREAK THROUGH THE NOISE. I TOOK THAT AS THE IDEA OF HUMAN BEINGS STRUGGLING AND BREAKING THROUGH THE WHITE NOISE OF POP CULTURE AND TRASH POLITICS. IS THAT SOMETHING YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT IN REGARDS TO MASS TRAGEDY?

>> I MEAN, SURE, CERTAINLY. THE THING IS THAT THE FILM ISN'T ABOUT ONE THING. IT IS ABSOLUTELY ABOUT THE INTERSECTION OF FAME AND INFAMY AND HOW THEY ARE ONE AND THE SAME. ESPECIALLY WITH THIS ADMINISTRATION. AND --

>> YOU SAID COLUMBINE ROCKED THE NATION. I STARTED THINKING ABOUT WHAT ROCKS THE NATION NOW, IT IS, LIKE, I ACTUALLY DON'T KNOW.

>> IT IS HARD TO SHAKE US NOW. I MEAN, THE COASTS ARE UNDER WATER. WE HAVE GOT BIG, BIG FISH TO FRY THIS CENTURY. AND YET THE THING IS THAT THERE SEEMS TO BE A LITTLE BIT OF -- A BIT DISCONNECTED FROM THE REALITY OF THESE ISSUES BECAUSE WE'RE INUNDATED WITH SO MUCH INFORMATION THAT WHAT IS NEWS AND WHAT IS ENTERTAINMENT OR SOMETHING -- AN ARTICLE THAT IS DISTRACTION VERSUS SOMETHING VERY, VERY SIGNIFICANT THAT YOU SHOULD BE PAYING ATTENTION TO. PEOPLE DON'T KNOW WHAT TO PAY ATTENTION TO ANYMORE. AND, YOU KNOW, WE'RE AT THE BEGINNING OF A TECHNICAL REVOLUTION, AND THE INFORMATION AGE IS SOMETHING VERY NEW. I GREW UP IN A HOUSE UNTIL I WAS NINE OR TEN YEARS OLD WITHOUT THE INTERNET. MY DAUGHTER WILL NEVER EXPERIENCE THAT. AND SO I THINK THAT WE'RE STILL FIGURING IT OUT AND WE'RE TRYING TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO BE HUMAN AND HOW TO STAY CONNECTED TO -- AND REMAIN EMPATHETIC DURING A PERIOD WHERE WE'RE INUNDATED WITH SO MUCH TRAGIC INFORMATION ON A MINUTE BY MINUTE BASIS.

>> NATALIE, AN OBVIOUS QUESTION, YOU GREW UP IN THE SPOTLIGHT FOR BETTER OR WORSE, HOWEVER YOU REMEMBER IT, AND SO DOES CELESTE AND I'M WONDERING IF THERE WAS A PART OF YOU THAT RELATED TO CELESTE IN THE WAY THAT A QUOTE OR SOMETHING YOU SAY CAN BE MISREPRESENTED AND USED AGAINST YOU AND BECOME THE BIGGEST NEWS OF YOUR YEAR, THE BIGGEST ISSUE OF YOUR YEAR AT THAT TIME.

>> OH, YEAH, I MEAN, OF COURSE, I THINK THAT -- I DON'T HAVE THE EXTENT OF FAME THAT THE CHARACTER HAS IN THIS FILM, AND I THINK IT IS ALSO VERY DIFFERENT FOR ACTORS BECAUSE YOU'RE ALWAYS PLAYING A CHARACTER WHERE AS A POP STAR YOU'RE KIND OF A VERSION OF YOURSELF, SO IT FEELS MORE PERSONAL IF PEOPLE ARE, LIKE, ATTACKING YOUR PERFORMANCE OR YOUR PERSONA OR SOMETHING WHERE AS AN ACTOR YOU CAN KIND OF HIDE.

>> I THINK WE STARTED TO IN THE LAST TEN YEARS EXPECT ODDLY A LOT MORE FROM ACTORS AND PERSONAL INTERVIEWS WHEN IT COMES TO THEIR POLITICS AND IF AN ACTOR FOR WHATEVER REASON HAS A SLIGHT DISAGREEMENT, THE MASS ABOUT A POLITICAL IDEA, EVERYONE STARTS ATTACKING THEIR PERFORMANCES AND THEIR WHOLE CAREER AT THAT POINT AND I FIND THAT STRANGE.

>> I THINK THAT, YOU KNOW, IT IS SORT OF WHAT BRADY'S BEEN TALKING ABOUT WITH THIS WEALTH OF INFORMATION THAT BECAUSE THE NEWS CYCLE NEEDS NEW STORIES ALL THE TIME, THAT THEY'RE LOOKING FOR SCANDAL, CONTROVERSY, SOMETHING NEW ALWAYS. SO, YES, YOU GET SUCKED INTO IT OFTEN, MUCH MORE OFTEN THAN WHEN I WAS, YOU KNOW IN THE PUBLIC EYE TEN YEARS AGO. BUT THE INTERESTING THING IS THAT IT ALSO HAS LESS WEIGHT. SO, LIKE, IT ALSO DISAPPEARS, LIKE, YOU'RE SAYING, IT IS, LIKE, THE FACT THAT THERE IS SO MUCH OUT THERE, DILUTES THE IMPORTANCE OF ANY PARTICULAR STORY, LIKE NOTHING STICKS, SOMETHING THAT IS A BIG SCANDAL TODAY, TOMORROW IS SOMEONE ELSE'S SCANDAL WHICH IS THIS WEIRD SITUATION WHERE IT IS JUST THIS SORT OF CAPITALISM OF NEWS, I THINK, HAS TO DO WITH WANTING MORE AND MORE AND MORE STORIES.

>> IT FORCED A KIND OF SELF-CARE IDEA AS A CONSUMER OF NEWS FOR ME, I CAN'T UNDERSTAND OR KNOW MOST OF THIS STUFF. I HAVE TO STICK TO WHAT I THINK IS IMPORTANT. IT STRIKES ME -- YOU GET TO REALLY PLAY A POP STAR BY THE END OF THE MOVIE. WE GET A 10, 15 MINUTE AMAZING SEQUENCE OF YOU DANCING AND DOING THESE SONGS, HAS THAT -- WAS THAT EVER A DREAM OF YOURS TO DO SOMETHING LIKE THAT?

>> I DON'T KNOW THAT IT WAS, LIKE, AN ACTUAL GOAL OF, LIKE, I'M GOING TO BE A POP STAR ONE DAY, NEVER FELT THAT, BUT DEFINITELY LOVED, LIKE, YOU KNOW, BEING IN FRONT OF THE MIRROR WITH THE HAIR BRUSH, YOU KNOW, DOING MADONNA SONGS KIND OF THING.

>> A DIFFERENT VERSION OF ANY OF THAT, IN TERMS OF WHAT YOU'RE DOING PERFORMANCE WISE.

>> YES. THIS WAS A FULL ON -- IT WAS REALLY FUN, REALLY FUN TO DO. BUT I DIDN'T HAVE LITERAL POP STAR ASPIRATIONS.

>> YOU HAD A DAY AND A HALF TO SHOOT THAT SEQUENCE? AND HOW LONG WERE YOU WORKING WITH THE CHOREOGRAPHER BEFOREHAND AND SORT OF LEARNING THE SONGS?

>> MY HUSBAND, SO THAT WAS VERY EASY TO COORDINATE, LUCKILY. AND VERY LUCKY TO GET TO WORK WITH HIM ON THIS AND, YES, WE GOT TO WORK AT HOME, WHICH WAS FANTASTIC. AND, YEAH, WE WORKED A LOT BECAUSE WE HAD SUCH A SHORT TIME TO SHOOT THAT IT JUST HAD TO BE, LIKE, COMPLETELY PREPARED.

>> AND ALSO SHORT AMOUNT OF TIME TO PREPARE, I MEAN, HE PUT IT TOGETHER SO QUICKLY.

>> YEAH, WE HAD ABOUT A MONTH TO PREPARE, BUT WE JUST -- WE REALLY RAN IT SO THAT WHEN WE -- WHEN WE ACTUALLY DID IT, IT WAS READY.

>> IT WENT OFF WITHOUT A HITCH. THE THING IS, IT IS BECAUSE OF NATALIE AND BEN AND THE GIRLS THAT WE WERE ABLE TO PULL IT OFF. BECAUSE, I MEAN, THERE IS A LOT OF -- ON SET IN THE MOVIE, A LOT OF CHOREOGRAPHY AND NOT DANCE CHOREOGRAPHY, BUT CHOREOGRAPHY IN THE SCENES THEMSELVES. BLOCKING. HOWEVER, BECAUSE OF THE INTENT OF THE SCENE WAS TO SHOOT IT LIKE A ROCK DOCUMENTARY, SO OUR ONLY JOB WAS TO CAPTURE IT AND WE JUST WANTED TO GET OUT OF THEIR WAY. AND FORTUNATELY THEY PROVIDED US ENOUGH FOOTAGE IN A DAY AND A HALF FOR IT TO MAKE SOMETHING OUT OF IT, NOT JUST SOMETHING, BUT 13 1/2 MINUTES OF MOVIE.

>> WITHIN THAT SEQUENCE, WE GET ALL OF THESE SHOTS OF HER YOUNG FANS PAINTED UP, STARING AT HER IN AWE, CRYING, SORT OF FREAKING OUT, AND, WELL, IN MOST MOVIES ABOUT POP STARS OR DOCUMENTARIES ABOUT POP STARS, THAT WOULD FEEL BEAUTIFUL AND EMPOWERING, THERE IS SOMETHING ABOUT THE SHOTS AND THIS MOVIE WHERE IT FEELS KIND OF HORRIFYING. THERE IS SOMETHING HORRIFYING ABOUT THEIR OBSESSIVENESS OF THIS POP STAR AND HOW MUCH SHE MEANS TO THEM. WAS THAT INTENTIONAL ON YOUR PART OR JUST ME READING INTO SOMETHING.

>> EVERYTHING IN THE FILM IS INTENTIONAL. NO, OF COURSE. BUT I MEAN, BUT, YES, ABSOLUTELY. THE THING THAT IS INTERESTING IS THAT THE FOOTAGE IS FROM REAL SHOWS. IT IS NOT -- IT IS NOT -- THEY'RE NOT EXTRAS. PART OF THE REASON IT IS SO POWERFUL IS THAT IT WASN'T DIRECTED, JUST REAL FOOTAGE OF PEOPLE AT SHOWS.

>> WHAT CAN I ASK YOU WHAT SHOWS YOU TOOK THOSE FROM?

>> NO.

>> WHAT POP STARS DID YOU LOOK AT, TO INFLUENCE THIS? WAS THERE ANYONE YOU WERE THINKING OF IN PARTICULAR?

>> I TRIED TO AVOID --

>> NOT THE PERSONAL STUFF, OBVIOUSLY.

>> SURE, SURE. IN GENERAL, WE WANTED TO CREATE SOMETHING OF OUR OWN. THAT EVOKES A LOT OF THE FAMOUS CHARACTERS FROM THE LAST 25 YEARS, BUT NOT TO POINT TO ANYONE SPECIFICALLY. SO IT WAS A WIDE RANGE OF ARTISTS FROM, YOU KNOW, FROM 1980 UP UNTIL THIS YEAR.

>> IT IS FASCINATING TO KNOW THAT YOU CHOSE SIA TO DO THE SONGS. SHE IS A POP STAR, SO MUCH MORE OF A DECONSTRUCTIONIST IF YOU'VE SEEN HER LIVE PERFORMANCES, IT IS HER, NOT CLEAR IF SHE'S LIP-SYNCHING OR WHAT IS GOING ON AND THE SONGS THEMSELVES ARE IN SOME WAYS A DECONSTRUCTION OF POP AT THIS POINT. WHAT KIND OF CONVERSATIONS DO YOU HAVE? I SEE CELESTE AS A KIND OF CLASSIC POP STAR. STILL EXISTING IN THE 2000 TO 2005 REALM.

>> ONE THING THAT IS REALLY INTERESTING ABOUT SIA AND WHY SHE WAS SO APPROPRIATE FOR THIS IS THAT BECAUSE OF HER FACELESS PERSONA, IT MEANT THAT THESE SONGS COULD BE NATALIE'S CHARACTER'S SONGS AS OPPOSED TO JUST, YOU KNOW, NINE ORIGINAL SIA TRACKS. AND THAT REALLY APPEALED TO ME. THE OTHER THING THAT APPEALED TO ME IS THAT SIA HAS BEEN MAKING POP MUSIC FOR 20 YEARS. AND SO SHE HAS A CATALOG THAT GOES AS FAR BACK AS THIS FILM'S STORY DOES. AND, YOU KNOW, THE SENSE IN 2001 SOUNDED DIFFERENT THAN THE SAMPLES SOUND NOW. AND SO IT WAS EASY TO GET GRANULAR ABOUT IT BECAUSE OF HER EXPERIENCE. I MEAN, MOST OF THESE PEOPLE ARE BETWEEN 18 AND 23 YEARS OLD, RIGHT?

>> I THINK CHECK MY EKG, MY HEART IS A HOUSE BEAT, MIGHT HAVE BEEN MY FAVORITE LYRIC OF CELESTE'S.

>> I MEAN --

>> IT STUCK WITH ME FOR A LONG TIME.

>> IT IS AN AMAZING SONG. THE SOUNDTRACK COMES OUT TOMORROW. I'M HOPING I HEAR IT EVERYWHERE.

>> YOUR PERFORMANCE IS ONE OF -- I WAS TRYING TO SAY THIS IN THE GREEN ROOM, ONE OF MY FAVORITE KINDS OF PERFORMANCES IN THE SENSE WHERE YOU FEEL LIKE THE ACTOR IS REALLY RELISHING THE MOMENTS AND HAVING A GOOD TIME WHILE PERFORMING. I THINK I SAW A QUOTE RECENTLY WHERE DAVID LYNCH TOLD NICOLAS CAGE IT IS NOT WORTH DOING IT UNLESS YOU'RE HAVING FUN BECAUSE THE AUDIENCE HAS TO HAVE FUN TOO. WE HAVE A SENSE THAT YOU'RE HAVING FUN. WAS IT LIKE THAT FOR YOU ON SET?

>> ABSOLUTELY. THE WRITING WAS SO SPECIFIC, AND BRADY GAVE A LOT OF FREEDOM, LIKE, A LOT OF THE SCENES ARE SHOT IN ONE CONTINUOUS TAKE, SO YOU GET TO DO IT ALL THE WAY THROUGH, WHICH IS VERY RARE AS AN ACTOR. THEY KIND OF CHOP UP INTO LITTLE PIECES OF SCENES, SO TO GET TO DO THE SCENE ALL THE WAY THROUGH AND HAVE THESE INCREDIBLE WORDS AND GET TO DO THINGS I JUST -- I WOULD NEVER SAY OR DO ANY OF THESE THINGS IN MY REAL LIFE, SO --

>> LARGER THAN LIFE KIND OF NASTY CHARACTER.

>> YEAH. LIKE TOTAL, YOU KNOW, KIND OF THE WAY SHE RELATES TO OTHER PEOPLE IS JUST VERY EXTRAVAGANT AND SOMETIMES UNKIND, OFTEN UNKIND AND SO IT WAS, YOU KNOW, IT WAS DEFINITELY A GREAT OPPORTUNITY TO GET TO DO AND JUST KIND OF GO WILD.

>> ONE OF THE OTHER GREAT PERFORMANCES IN THE MOVIE WE HAVEN'T TALKED ABOUT YET IS JUDE LAW WHO PLAYS A SLEAZE, LIKE NO OTHER. HE'S REALLY AMAZING IN THIS MOVIE. WHAT WAS IT LIKE WORKING WITH HIM, BECAUSE, I MEAN, YOU SAID YOU HAD TEN DAYS TO SHOOT? WAS IT YOUR ENTIRE SEQUENCE IN THE MOVIE AND WITH THAT, YOUR CHARACTER IS SUPPOSED TO HAVE, YOU KNOW, 20 YEARS OF HISTORY -- VERY WEIRD HISTORY, WE COME TO FIND OUT. DID YOU PREP, DID YOU TALK AT ALL OR JUST JUMP IN?

>> WE DIDN'T TALK BEFORE. BUT THE LUCKY THING IS JUDE AND I HAVE KNOWN EACH OTHER FOR 20 YEARS, THIS IS OUR FOURTH MOVIE WE HAVE GOTTEN TO DO TOGETHER, WHICH IS VERY LUCKY. SO IT WAS INCREDIBLE BECAUSE WE DID HAVE -- WE HAVE A VERY DIFFERENT HISTORY, OF COURSE, THAN THESE CHARACTERS DO --

>> HAD TO CLARIFY THAT.

>> YES. BUT THERE IS A LEVEL OF COMFORT AND FAMILIARITY THAT WE HAVE AND ESPECIALLY JUST THE TRUST THAT YOU WANT FROM ANOTHER ACTOR, ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU'RE DOING KIND OF CRAZY THINGS IN SCENES TOGETHER THAT, YOU KNOW, YOU FEEL THE ABILITY TO JUST GO WILD AND NOT HAVE THEM JUDGE YOU AND HE'S -- AND KNOW THAT THEY HAVE THE KIND OF SPONTANEOUS INSTINCTS TO JUMP IN AND TRY THINGS AND CHANGE THINGS WITH YOU SO THAT YOU'RE REALLY GETTING TO PLAY WITH EACH OTHER. AND THAT WAS -- THAT WAS REALLY FUN AND REALLY LUCKY AND HE'S JUST PHENOMENAL.

>> YOU HAVE KIND OF A NONJUDGMENTAL EYE WHEN IT COMES TO THEIR RELATIONSHIP, WHICH, I MEAN, WE CAN INFER IS ONE THAT HAS ITS ISSUES OVER THE YEARS. BUT WHAT MADE YOU WANT TO APPROACH IT THAT WAY AND NOT ADD ANY KIND OF JUDGMENT OF JUDE'S CHARACTER? IT IS NOT CLEAR AT THE END IF HE'S REALLY BETTER OR WORSE FOR HER, YOU KNOW, IS SHE EXACTLY WHAT SHE NEEDS, IS HE EXACTLY THAT SHE NEEDS OR IS HE HER WORST ENEMY?

>> I THINK IT IS ALWAYS A MISTAKE TO SET OUT TO MAKE A FILM ABOUT PEOPLE YOU HATE. AND THESE CHARACTERS ARE -- THEY ARE INCREDIBLE, EXTRAVAGANT NARCISSISTS, ALL OF THEM. HOWEVER, FOR ME I SEE THEM VERY MUCH AS VICTIMS OF THE ERA. AND I THINK THAT THEY HAVE A LOT OF GOOD IN THEM AS WELL. PART OF THE REASON I WANTED TO CAST JUDE IS BECAUSE HE JUST OOZES CHARISMA AND SO AS SOON AS HE -- HE'S A REALLY GENUINELY NICE CHARMING GUY. AND SO AS SOON AS HE SHUTS THAT DOWN, YOU KNOW, IT IS STILL THERE UNDER THE SURFACE.

>> NO MATTER WHAT YOU HAVE HIM DOING, THERE IS A PART OF YOU THAT'S ON HIS SIDE OR WANTS TO WATCH.

>> IT SHOULD BE COMPLICATED. HERE IS THE THING. I THINK THAT ARTIST RELATIONSHIP WITH THE REPRESENTATIVES ARE COMPLICATED IN GENERAL BECAUSE ESPECIALLY PEOPLE WHO STARTED WHEN THEY WERE VERY YOUNG BECAUSE YOU -- A MANAGER THAT HAS BEEN WITH A CLIENT FOR 20 OR 30 YEARS, YOU KNOW, THEY HAVE KNOWN THEM SINCE THEY WERE KIDS, AND THEN THEY TURNED INTO ADULTS. AND SO -- RIGHT BEFORE THEIR EYES, AND SO THINGS DO GET A LITTLE HAZY, LIKE, AT WHAT POINT IS IT OKAY TO HAVE A DRINK WITH YOUR CLIENT THAT YOU MET HAD THEY'RE 14 BUT NOW THEY'RE 22? AND SO THINGS GET FUZZY PRETTY QUICKLY. AND SO I DIDN'T THINK OF THE CHARACTER AS PARTICULARLY LECHEROUS, JUST THOUGHT THE CHARACTER WAS REALISTIC. AND IN GENERAL THAT'S HOW I FEEL ABOUT THE CHARACTERS.

>> THAT'S A TESTAMENT TO THE STORY TELLING IN THE MOVIE, THERE IS SO MUCH LEFT OUT YET SO MUCH IN THERE THAT YOU CAN INFER A LOT OF WHAT HAS HAPPENED WITH THE CHARACTERS BEFOREHAND, IN THE SCENES YOU'RE SORT OF VERY SELECTIVELY CHOOSING WHAT WE SEE, THAT ALLOWS US TO IMAGINE DIFFERENT ELEMENTS OF WHAT HAS HAPPENED IN THEIR LIVES OR WHO THEY REPRESENT.

>> SURE. THE THING ABOUT THESE RISE AND FALL STORIES IS THAT THERE ARE CERTAIN BEATS THAT THEY ALWAYS HIT. PART OF THEM IS BECAUSE IN REAL LIFE A LOT OF THESE CLICHES ALSO HAPPEN TO BE TRUE. BUT WHAT IT ALLOWED US TO DO IS ESSENTIALLY OMIT ALL OF THE PARTS THAT WOULD BE PURELY FUNCTIONAL AS OPPOSED TO INTERESTING. AND I THINK IT IS HARD TO WATCH A FILM WHERE, YOU KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU'RE GOING TO GET IN EACH BLOCK OF, YOU KNOW, IN ACT ONE YOU KNOW WHAT TO EXPECT, IN ACT TWO YOU KNOW WHAT TO EXPECT, IN ACT THREE YOU KNOW WHAT TO EXPECT. IN OUR CASE WE CUT OUT ACT TWO BECAUSE WE ALL KNOW -- WE ALL KNOW MORE OR LESS WHAT HAPPENS IN THE INTERIM OF WHEN SHE'S 15 AND WHEN SHE'S 31 YEARS OLD. SO I TRIED TO PUSH AND PULL THE NARRATIVE ALONG IN THIS WAY WHERE YOU, YOU KNOW, YOU GET INFORMATION THAT YOU DON'T EXPECT TO GET, AND THEN YOU -- AND THEN ANYTHING THAT WOULDN'T BE INTERESTING OR RELEVANT TO THE VIEWER IS OMITTED.

>> ONE OF THE THINGS YOU DON'T EXPECT TO GET I WANT TO TOUCH ON IT IS THE HISTORY OF SWEDISH POP MUSIC BECAUSE SO MUCH OF OUR FAVORITE POP MUSIC NOW IS COMING FROM SWEDISH PRODUCERS. AND YOU DIVE INTO THIS KIND OF FASCIST HISTORY THAT IT SORT OF COMES FROM. WHERE DID YOU FIND THAT AND CAN YOU TALK ABOUT THAT A LITTLE BIT?

>> I READ A LOT OF MUSIC THEORY AND A LOT OF ESSAYS WHEN I WAS PREPARING THE FILM. AND I FOUND THIS TO BE PARTICULARLY INTERESTING ABOUT THE BIRTH OF ABBA. AND WHICH HAD A MASSIVE IMPACT ALL OVER THE GLOBE. ON K-POP AND POP HERE IN AMERICA.

>> SOS, ONE OF THE GREATEST POP SONGS EVER WRITTEN.

>> MAYBE MY GREATEST SONG EVER WRITTEN.

>> SOS?

>> VERY DRAMATIC, VERY CINEMATIC SONG. SO ANYHOW THE IDEA WAS BASICALLY EVEN THOUGH OUR STORY IS ABOUT IN AMERICA, AN AMERICAN LIVING AND WORKING IN AMERICA, I THOUGHT TO HAVE THIS BRIEF TANGENT WHERE WE LEARN ABOUT THE POP MUSIC AND ITS SOCIOPOLITICAL TIES, IN EUROPE, THAT THAT IS THE PRISM THROUGH WHICH EVERYONE WOULD VIEW THE -- WHAT HAPPENS IN OUR STORY.

>> NATALIE, YOU, I THINK OVER THE COURSE OF YOUR ENTIRE CAREER, YOU'VE BEEN SELECTIVE ABOUT THE DIRECTORS AND THE PROJECTS THAT YOU WORK ON. IF YOU LOOK AT YOUR FILMOGRAPHY, ALL GOOD DIRECTORS, GREAT MOVIES, HOW HAVE YOU BEEN ABLE TO DO THAT? IS THAT JUST GOOD TASTE?

>> THANK YOU FOR SAYING THAT. I'M NOT SURE IT IS ALWAYS TRUE, BUT I MEAN --

>> SELECTIVELY.

>> YEAH, I THINK THAT I HAVE BEEN LUCKY TO HAVE SOME GREAT OPPORTUNITIES AND THAT IT IS ALWAYS -- IT IS ALWAYS MORE INTERESTING IF YOU'RE WORKING WITH A REALLY INTERESTING DIRECTOR AND THAT'S, LIKE THE -- IT IS THE PROCESS IS MORE FULFILLING AND YOU INTERACT MORE AND YOU LEARN MORE AND YOU GET MORE OUT OF IT BECAUSE YOU CAN'T EVER REALLY CONTROL HOW A MOVIE DOES WHEN IT IS OUT, BUT YOU CAN KIND OF CONTROL YOUR EXPERIENCE, NOT CONTROL, BECAUSE THERE IS OBVIOUSLY OTHER PEOPLE, BUT YOU CAN HOPEFULLY BY CHOOSING INTERESTING PEOPLE TO WORK WITH YOU HAVE MORE CONTROL OVER YOUR ACTUAL EXPERIENCE MAKING IT. AND THAT'S WHAT YOU ALWAYS TAKE AWAY, LIKE, THAT'S WHAT YOU REMEMBER AS YOUR EXPERIENCE WHILE YOU'RE SHOOTING.

>> WAS THERE A CONVERSATION YOU HAD WITH BRADY BEFORE SHOOTING THAT MADE YOU THINK, OKAY, THIS IS GOING TO BE A GOOD EXPERIENCE?

>> YEAH, WELL, JUST THE -- SOME OF THE WAYS HE WAS DESCRIBING THE WAY HE WAS THINKING ABOUT THE FILM WERE SO JUST MADE ME THINK IN NEW WAYS AND, OF COURSE, I HAD SCENE HIS FILM HE MADE BEFORE THAT I WAS VERY IMPRESSED BY. AND SO I KNEW THAT HE WAS REALLY TALENTED AND HAD A REALLY INTERESTING IDEA.

>> I LOVE THE FILM. CONGRATULATIONS. IT IS IN SELECT CITIES RIGHT NOW. IT OPENS EVERYWHERE THIS FRIDAY, RIGHT? IT IS CALLED "VOX LUX.” IT IS AN AMAZING PERFORMANCE AND INCREDIBLE FILM BY BRADY CORBET. EVERYBODY GIVE THEM A BIG ROUND OF APPLAUSE FOR BEING HERE.

>> THANK YOU.

>> THANK YOU VERY MUCH. I APPRECIATE IT.

Danny DeVito

If this picture doesn't give it away, we have no problem stating how much of a good time we had sitting down and chopping it up with the one and only Danny DeVito. 😂 Check out our talk!

(Photo Credit: Noam Galai /BUILD )

Jack Dylan Grazer, Zachary Levi, Asher Angel & Mark Strong

One word comes to mind: Shazam! ⚡️ From what it was like on-set to what Marvel character they'd like to face off against, do not miss our awesome chat with the cast of the highly-anticipated DC movie, "Shazam!"

(Photo Credit: Noam Galai /BUILD )

Calum Worthy & Joey King

The young and talented actors Joey King and Calum Worthy discussed their experience filming the new fascinating Hulu anthology series, "The Act." Be sure to tune in! (Photo Credit: Jammi York /BUILD )

Andy Black

Andy Black took us for a deep dive conversation! He told us all about what inspired his latest and most personal LP, "The Ghost of Ohio."  (Photo Credit: Mike Pont /BUILD )

Cassie Randolph & Colton Underwood

Love is in the air and it's looking good! 🥰😩 Colton Underwood and his new girlfriend, Cassie Randolph, came by the studio and reflected on their rollercoaster of a ride on "The Bachelor." Don't miss it! (Photo Credit: Jammi York /BUILD )

Ryan Destiny

There's a reason why Ryan Destiny is on a show by the name of "STAR!" 🤩 Find out what the talented musician/actress had to say about working on the FOX series and what's next for her. (Photo Credit: Jammi York /BUILD )

James Kent & Keira Knightley

The queen of period pieces was among us! 🙇‍♂️ Keira Knightley and director James Kent took the BUILD stage to discuss their new film, "The Aftermath." (Photo Credit: Mike Pont /BUILD )

Andrew Rannells

No lie, Andrew Rannells is as sweet as he looks! So, needless to say, it was a pleasure to sit down and chat with him about his new memoir, "Too Much Is Not Enough." Watch! (Photo Credit: Noam Galai /BUILD )

Cole Sprouse & Haley Lu Richardson

Hands down two of the best and most young actors working today! 🙌 Don't miss our talk with Cole Delbyck and Haley Lu Richardson about "Five Feet Apart," their touching new film. (Photo Credit: Mike Pont /BUILD )

Hoda Kotb

To know her is to love her and we at BUILD are no exception! 😍 The great Hoda Kotb gave us all the details behind her adorable new children's book, "You Are My Happy." (Photo Credit: Noam Galai /BUILD )

Raz-B, Omarion, J-Boog & Fizz of B2K

They still got it! 😎 From working with Diddy on their timeless hit, "Bump, Bump, Bump," to what it was like reuniting, the iconic boy group B2K had us both reminiscing about the 2000s and excited to see what 2019 has in store. Tune in! (Photo Credit: Noam Galai /BUILD )

Bellamy Young

No better guest to have spent International Women's Day with than the genuinely lovely Bellamy Young. Tune in to our talk with her about her work with CARE, her time on "Scandal" and more. She also joined us for an insightful women's panel that you HAVE to watch. (Photo Credit: Mike Pont /BUILD )

New Kids on the Block

Nobody else we'd rather hang tough with than the New Kids on the Block. 😎 From their first impressions of each other to their favorite boy bands, don't miss the blast we had chatting it up with Donnie, Danny, Joey, Jordan and Jonathan. (Photo Credit: Noam Galai /BUILD )

BeBe Zahara Benet & Alexis Michelle

At BUILD we 💖 drag, so we obviously jumped at the chance to sit down and chat with Alexis Michelle and BeBe Zahara Benet! Hear all about the crazy, fun time they had filming their TLC special, "Drag Me Down the Aisle." (Photo Credit: Jammi York /BUILD )

Ricky Whittle

"American Gods" is back for season 2 on STARZ and who better to talk about it with than series lead, Ricky Whittle. From his regiment to play the bulky Shadow Moon to what it's like behind-the-scenes, he gave us all the details. (Photo Credit: Jammi York /BUILD )

Tal Wilkenfeld

When you got it, you got it and trust us when we say Tal Wilkenfeld has got IT! 🤩 Be sure to check out her stellar performance and our great talk with the budding young artist about her debut album, "Love Remains." (Photo Credit: Jammi York /BUILD )

Derrick Baskin

If you love The Temptations, which everyone does of course, then you'll love our chat with this swell guy! Derrick Baskin, star of "Ain't Too Proud," told us all about the new musical. (Photo Credit: Mike Pont /BUILD )

Britt Robertson

Britt Robertson and the Shondaland series, "For the People," are back on ABC for season 2! Find out how the legal drama has changed the actress' view of the world. (Photo Credit: Mike Pont /BUILD )

Allen Kovac & Nikki Sixx

It's not every day we have a music legend like Nikki Sixx in the studio! 🤘 Check out our talk with him and co-producer Allen Kovac about the candid Netflix biopic of his iconic band, Mötley Crüe. (Photo Credit: Mike Pont /BUILD )

Lacey Chabert

Lacey Chabert let us sit with her! 😌​​​​​​ Hear what draws the actress to certain projects and if she'd be up for reprising the role of Gretchen Wieners in a "Mean Girls" reunion. (Photo Credit: Jammi York /BUILD )

Shannon Coffey, Chantal Rochelle & Kevan Kenney

It's that time of the week...#NewMusicFriday! And who better to break down all the new releases of the week than our music experts. Hear what they had to say! (Photo Credit: Mike Pont /BUILD )

Gregg Araki, Kelli Berglund, Avan Jogia & Karley Sciortino

Quite the stylish bunch! 😎 Gregg Araki, Kelli Berglund, Avan Jogia and Karley Sciortino, the people behind STARZ's "Now Apocalypse," sat down to discuss the new show. Watch!

(Photo Credit: Mike Pont /BUILD )

J.K. Simmons

Always a pleasure to have the talented class act J.K. Simmons stop by the studio. We talked with him about his new film, "I'm Not Here," and more. (Photo Credit: Mike Pont /BUILD )

Nina Dobrev

STOP! ✋ And take this time to check out our chat with the beautiful Nina Dobrev about her new CBS sitcom, "FAM." You won't regret it. 😎 (Photo Credit: Jammi York /BUILD )

Kyle Cooke, Amanda Batula, Carl Radke, Lindsay Hubbard, Danielle Olivera, Hannah Berner, Paige DeSorbo and Jordan Verroi

It may be winter but the "Summer House" cast brought the heat! 🔥 Check out our chat with the stars of the Bravo reality series to find out what fun and drama you can expect from the newest season. (Photo Credit: Jammi York /BUILD )

AJ Michalka & Patton Oswalt

Backstage crossover! 🤩 "The Goldbergs" alumni stopped by to chat about their latest comedies. AJ Michalka gave us details about the new series "Schooled" and Patton Oswalt told us what to expect in season 2 of "A.P. Bio." (Photo Credit: Noam Galai /BUILD )

Chiwetel Ejiofor

We obviously know how great of an actor Chiwetel Ejiofor is in front of the camera but now we get to see his work behind one. Hear all about Ejiofor's directorial debut in the new Netflix Original film, "The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind." (Photo Credit: Noam Galai /BUILD )

Harry Shum Jr., Matthew Daddario, Emeraude Toubia & Katherine McNamara

What a beautiful grouping of people 😍...and we're going to miss them! 😭 The final season of "Shadowhunters" is upon us and we had the pleasure of chatting with the cast of the beloved series. (Photo Credit: Jammi York /BUILD )

Rome Flynn

Rome Flynn is a busy man! Not only has he starred in this season of ABC's hit show, "How to Get Away with Murder," but you can also catch him in Tyler Perry's last Madea movie. Tune in to our talk with him. (Photo Credit: Jammi York /BUILD )

The Season 11 Queens of "RuPaul's Drag Race"

Too much slayage in one photo! 😩 From woke words about representation to shady moments about other queens, you absolutely DO NOT want to miss our Monét X Change hosted-chat with the fabulous bunch of "RuPaul's Drag Race" season 11. (Photo Credit: Noam Galai & Mike Pont /BUILD )

of