11.30.18

BUILD Weekend Listen: November 30

In our BUILD Weekend Listen panels music aficionados discuss the latest singles, albums and trends in the massive industry that is music.

View Transcript

** As Captioned Live **

>>> WOW. THIS IS A WILD CROWD. WELCOME TO THE WEEKEND LISTEN, EACH FRIDAY WE DISCUSS AND RECOMMEND NEW MUSIC RELEASES FOR YOU AT HOME. JOINING ME TODAY ARE SENIOR HE HAD IT -- EDITOR AT HUFF POST AND ALSO JAMEER POND.

>> I THINK IT IS BECAUSE I DID THE WAVE.

>> ALL RIGHT. THIS IS A LOADED FRIDAY FOR NEW RELEASES. KIND OF REMINDS YOU BACK IN THE DAY QUARTER FOUR IS WHEN ALL THE BIG ALBUMS WOULD DROP AND I THINK THIS IS LIKE THE LAST EFFORT FOR THE MUSIC INDUSTRY BEFORE YOU HEAD OUT FOR THE HOLIDAYS. SO MEEK MILL, HE HAS A NEW ALBUM OUT. THIS IS LOADED. EVERYBODY IN HIP HOP IS ON THIS RECORD. AND WE HAVE A SONG TO CHECK OUT, "DANGEROUS.” \M IT WAS NIGHTS LIKE THIS FOR THE RIGHT LIKE THIS, NEVER REALLY SPENT NO TIME LIKE \M \M SECOND TIME KNOWING I MIGHT NOT HIT, WHAT I LOOK LIKE BITCH \M \M LOOKING IN YOUR EYES, IT IS DANGEROUS, I CALL IT ANGEL DUST \M \M NO CHAINS ON YOU, THEY GET TANGLED UP, NEVER FELT LIKE THIS \M \M

>>> MEEK IS CUSSING. THAT WAS DANGEROUS, ONE OF MANY, MANY TRACKS. I THINK THERE ARE 19 TRACKS ON THIS ALBUM. SOUNDS GREAT. BUT I WANT TO TALK ABOUT THE LINK UP HE HAS WITH DRAKE. THERE IS A LOT OF HEADLINES TO GET INTO WITH THIS RECORD. BUT LET'S START WITH GOING BAD WHICH IS THE DRAKE SONG. WHAT DID YOU THINK ABOUT THAT ONE?

>> I LOVE IT. I THINK IT IS EXTREMELY DRAKEESQUE.

>> WHAT DOES THAT MEAN IN 2018?

>> WELL, WHAT DOESN'T IT MEAN?

>> WELL, LIKE HE IS A PRETTY ECLECTIC GUY. SO WHAT DO YOU MEAN?

>> I THINK DRAKE -- FOR ME, HE HAS BEEN ON AUTOPILOT FOR LIKE THE MAJORITY OF -- YEAH, I SAID IT. DRAKE HAS A SOUND. AND HE JUST GOES STRAIGHT THERE. AND YOU KNOW, HE DOESN'T LIKE DO A LOT OF WIGGLE ROOM. SO I FEEL LIKE DRAKEESQUE IS NOT BAD, IT IS GOOD. IT IS DRAKE. SO IT IS A VERY DRAKE RECORD. AND I ALWAYS LIKE DRAKE AND MEEK TOGETHER.

>> AND HE HAS A LINE IN THE SONG, HE HAS MORE SLAPS THAN THE BEATLES. AND HE IS GETTING IN THAT UPPER ECHELON OF BILLBOARD RECORDS. BUT AS A FAN OF MUSIC AND SOMEONE WHO INTERVIEWS ARTISTS, HOW DO YOU COMPARE THE STREAMING AGE TO WHAT THE BEATLES ACHIEVED?

>> I JUST DON'T KNOW IF YOU CAN REALLY COMPARE THE BEATLES. BUT THE BEATLES ARE THE BEATLES. BUT TO THAT SENSE, YEAH, DRAKE IS EVERYWHERE THESE DAYS. AND I DIDN'T LIVE DURING THE BEATLES ERA, BUT THE BEATLES ARE STILL 50 YEARS LATER, WHITE ALBUM JUST GOT RELEASED AND PEOPLE ARE BUYING IT FOR CHRISTMAS AND THE HOLIDAYS AND IT STILL HOLDS UP TODAY. I'D BE CURIOUS TO SEE WHETHER DRAKE'S MUSIC HOLDS UP 50 YEARS FROM NOW.

>> AND JAY-Z HAD SOME WORDS FOR RICK ROSS. AND THIS VERSE HAD TO BE WRITTEN LIKE THIS WEEK. HE TALKS ABOUT THE RACKETEERING CHARGES, AND WITH JAY AND THESE THOUGHTS ON THE BILLBOARD CHARTS, HE SAYS WE USED PRAISE BILLBOARD AND NOW WE SAY ARE YOU DUMB. WE'VE CHANGED RULES BECAUSE OF SAMSUNG DEALS AND WHAT NOT. HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT JAY'S COMMENTS?

>> I MEAN, WHAT IS -- HOW LONG IS THE SHOW? THAT'S ALL I WANT TO SAY.

>> THE FLOOR IS YOUR.

>> JAY-Z AT THE TENDER AGE OF 48, ALMOST 49, IS UPPING THE ANTE AGAIN. AND IT IS NOT JUST AGAINST HIMSELF, BUT IT IS AGAINST THE GAME. LIKE HE IS RAISING HIS FLAG AND SAYING I'M GOING TO KEEP GOING AS LONG AS I CAN. AND YOU HEAR THESE RHYMES AND IT IS AMAZING. HE IS SO SHARP AT 48. I MEAN HE IS TALKING ABOUT BILLBOARD -- SORRY BY THE WAY. BUT TALKING ABOUT BILLBOARD, KANYE, THE PRESIDENT. AND JUST SO WITTY. HIS PUNCH LINES ARE SHARP. HE IS THE G.O.A.T. JAY-Z IS THE G.O.A.T. THAT'S ALL I HAVE TO SAY.

>> IT IS ONE OF THESE THINGS WHERE SOMETIMES YOU'LL BE LIKE WHAT IS SO GREAT -- I DON'T SAY THIS. I LOVE JAY-Z. BUT SOMETIMES YOU HEAR PEOPLE ESPECIALLY YOUNG FANS THAT SAY WHAT IS SO GREAT ABOUT JAY. BUT HE COMES OUT WITH THESE VERSES AND YOU'RE LIKE THIS IS SO MUCH BETTER THAN ANYTHING. IT IS JAY AND THEN THERE IS JUST SUCH A SPACE BEFORE YOU TALK ABOUT ANYBODY ELSE. BUT IT IS COOL TO SEE OF COURSE DRAKE AND WHATEVER THEY HAD GOING ON A COUPLE YEARS AGO. CARDI B IS ON THIS ALBUM. 21 SAVAGE. KODAK BLACK. I MEAN IT REALLY IS A STAR-STUDDED AFFAIR. IT WILL BE QUITE THE RACE TO NUMBER ONE ON THE BILLBOARD 200 IN A COUPLE WEEKS BETWEEN THIS AND A BUNCH OF OTHER SONGS THAT WE'LL TALK ABOUT. LET'S GET INTO THE NEXT ONE. THIS IS CALLED ELO AND THIS IS VERY CONFUSING. THIS IS COLD PLAY. THEY ARE NOT CALLS THEMSELVES COLD PLAY, TRYING TO BE COOL OR SOMETHING, BUT CHECK IT OUT. \M\M \M\M

>> DO YOU EVEN KNOW WHAT IT MEANS?

>> I LOOKED IT UP. I THINK IT IS THE UNITS. I DON'T KNOW -- I REALLY DON'T KNOW WHY COLD PLAY DECIDED TO CHANGE THEIR NAME FOR THIS, BUT I DO KNOW LIKE A COUPLE YEARS AGO REMEMBER CHRIS MARTIN WAS LIKE I'M NOT DOING MUSIC AS COLD PLAY ANYMORE. WE'RE GOING TO TOUR, BUT IT WON'T BE COLD PLAY ANYMORE. IT WAS VERY CONFUSING. BUT HE WAS LIKE I'M NOT RETIRING. SO I THOUGHT MAYBE THIS WAS AN EXTENSION OF THAT. SO --

>> WE DON'T KNOW.

>> I READ IT LIKE A FAN SAYING I'M EXCITED BUT VERY CONFUSED. I MEAN YOU LISTEN TO THIS, IT IS CLEARLY COLD PLAY. YOU'RE NOT REALLY HIDING UNDER --

>> TERRIBLE HIDING SPOT.

>> BUT THE INTERESTING THING ABOUT IT SONG, IT IS RELEASED IN TANDEM WITH GLOBAL CITIZEN IN AFRICA. SO IT IS GOING FOR A GOOD CAUSE. IT IS GOING TO END -- TRYING TO END GLOBAL POVERTY. AND SO PROCEEDS FROM THE SINGLE AND THAT KIND OF THING GOES TO THAT. SO THAT IS GOOD TO SEE. IT FEATURES PHARRELL I BELIEVE AND LIKE ANOTHER ARTIST. SO IT IS COOL. AND IT IS CATCHY AND IT HAS A GOOD VIBE AND ALSO REALLY POSITIVE. SO I'M ALL ABOUT THAT ON A FRIDAY. GOOD VIBES OUT IN THE WORLD.

>> TOTALLY.

>> MY QUESTION THOUGH, WHEN YOU RELEASE SINGLES LIKE THIS, HOW MUCH OF THE MONEY IS REALLY GOING? BECAUSE WHO IS BUYING SINGLES ANYMORE?

>> THAT'S RIGHT.

>> I REMEMBER WHEN WE ARE THE WORLD CAME OUT, I KIND OF REMEMBER IT, BUT IF YOU THINK ABOUT THAT OR LIKE LIVE AID THAT RAISE AWARENESS, ARE WE REALLY RAISING MONEY FOR THIS CAUSE. WHO IS BUYING THESE ALBUMS.

>> FOR ME IT WAS THE U2 iPOD, WASN'T THAT SUPPOSED TO GO TO SOMETHING?

>> I COULDN'T EVEN DELETE IT. LIKE I WANTED THE SPACE.

>> FOR BACK IN THE DAY THOUGH, THERE WAS ALSO LIKE A U2 iPOD LIKE A BLACK AND RED -- YEAH, YEAH. APPARENTLY YOU BOUGHT THAT -- I WAS LIKE MOM, THIS IS FOR THE KIDS!

>> AND SO THIS I'M HOPING THE RAISING AWARENESS THING IS THERE. I THINK BEYONCE IS PERFORMING, A HUGE SLATE OF PERFORMERS.

>> AND THERE IS A PHOTOGRAPHER THAT TOLD ME THAT HE IS GOING THERE AND HE WAS SHOWING ME THE STAGE, IT WAS LIKE MASSIVE.

>> SO COOL TO SEE THE ARTISTS COMING TOGETHER FOR LIKE A REALLY IMPORTANT CAUSE. AND SO IF COLD PLAY IS COMING BACK IN THIS NEW FORM, I'M CURIOUS TO SEE WHAT IS NEXT. BECAUSE LIKE WHAT IS THIS.

>> YEAH, IS IT A ONEOFF.

>> OR WILL WE SEE MORE.

>> AND THEY DON'T GET THE CREDIT I THINK FOR HOW ECLECTIC THEIR COLLABORATIONS ARE. PHARRELL IS ON THIS ONE. AND THEY HAVE DONE ONE WITH BEYONCE. AND YOU MENTIONED SOMEBODY ELSE. OH, CHAIN SMOKERS.

>> SO DEFINITELY STAYING CURRENT AND THAT IS GOOD TO SEE.

>> SO THE UNITS. ALL RIGHT. LET'S GET INTO SONG NUMBER THREE. THIS NEW ALBUM, I CANNOT SAY THIS, A BRIEF INQUIRY. IT IS OUT RIGHT NOW AND FANS ARE GOING CRAZY. AND THIS SONG IS CALLED SINCERITY IS SCARY. CHECK IT OUT. \M WHY CAN'T WE BE FRIENDS, JUST CALLING ME OUT, CALLING ME IN \M \M JUST GOT ONE MORE THING, WHY WE'RE HERE BELIEVING \M

>> ALL RIGHT. THAT WAS FROM THE 1975 NEW ALBUM OUT TODAY. WHAT DO YOU THINK?

>> I LOVE THIS SONG. THE VISUALS ARE AMAZING. I LOVE HOW IN THIS DAY AND AGE WE CAN JUST LIKE ANYTHING -- I REMEMBER I WAS HERE BEFORE TALKING ABOUT THE ARIANA GRANDE WITH THE PIG. LET'S JUST DO A VIDEO WITH A PIG.

>> LIKE A FRIENDS EPISODE.

>> YEAH. BUT I LOVE THE FACT THAT WE'RE THINKING OUTSIDE OF THE BOX. AND THIS SONG IS SO CATCHY. AND I THINK FOR ME, MUSIC IS THERAPEUTIC. AND AT TIMES LIKE THIS, ESPECIALLY ON A GLOOMY FRIDAY, I LOVE SONGS THAT CAN PICK YOU UP LIKE THIS. SO GREAT PICK WHOEVER PICKED IT.

>> THE POWERS THAT BE. IT MAY HAVE BEEN ME. AND IT IS FUNNY THAT YOU BRING UP MUSIC IS THERAPEUTIC. I HAD MADDIE ON MY RADIO SHOW THIS WEEK AND A FAN ASKED WHAT WOULD YOU NEVER DO. HE TALKED ABOUT THE HEROIN ADDICTION. AND HE SAID IF YOU PUT IT INTO SONG, MAYBE YOU COULD WORK IT OUT. AND HE ALWAYS FELT LIKE IT WAS IRRESPONSIBLE TO TALK ABOUT BECAUSE HE UNDERSTOOD THAT HE WAS A ROLE MODEL FOR THESE KIDS AND ANYTHING THAT HE DID WAS INHERENTLY COOL. SO HE WAS WORRIED FOR MANY YEARS THAT IF YOU WERE TO TALK ABOUT THE ADDICTION PROBLEM THAT KIDS WOULD ROMANTICIZE IT, BUT HE IS FINALLY OPENING UP ABOUT IT. AND IT IS A VERY ECLECTIC RECORD. IT IS AN ECLECTIC FRIDAY. AND HE ALSO TOOK ISSUE DURING THE INTERVIEW, THAT ONE WE JUST HEARD, IT IS SORT OF DREAMY POP. BUT THERE ARE ELECTRONIC SONGS ON HERE, AND I CALLED HIM A ROCK SONG AND HE TOOK GREAT OFFENSE TO THAT. HE SAYS HE IS A MODERN ARTIST IN MODERN TIMES. HOW WOULD YOU CHARACTERIZE 1975?

>> IT IS SO CRAZY THAT YOU SAY THAT BECAUSE I WAS LISTENING TO THE ALBUM AND IT WAS KIND OF ROCK AND ROLL BUT IT IS NOT. SO I UNDERSTAND WHY HE FEELS THAT WAY. I FEEL LIKE THIS IS A FRESH TAKE ON MUSIC TODAY AND THERE IS LIKE -- THERE ARE SAD SONGS, AND IT IS REALLY RAW. POTENTIALLY BECAUSE HE'S GOTTEN SOBER, SO MAYBE THAT IS COMING THROUGH. I ACTUALLY REALLY, REALLY LOVE THIS ALBUM AND I CAN'T WAIT TO DIVE INTO IT MORE. I ALMOST LIKE IT BETTER THAN THE LAST ONE.

>> YEAH, A LOT TO GET TO. AND THERE IS ANOTHER ALBUM COMING OUT NEXT SPRING THAT HE'S ALREADY NAMED BUT HE HASN'T WRITTEN IT YET. HOW DO YOU NAME AN ALBUM THAT THERE IS NO MUSIC FOR?

>> AND HAVE THE CONFIDENCE THAT YOU WILL GET THAT DONE.

>> YOU LITERALLY READ MY MIND. I ASKED HIM LIKE WHERE DO YOU FIND THE CONFIDENCE TO NAME AN ALBUM THAT YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT IT WILL SOUND LIKE AND HE GOES SAME PLACE I FIND CONFIDENCE TO WEAR SUNGLASSES INDOORS. ALL RIGHT. AND SPEAKING OF ROCK MUSIC, I CHOSE THIS NEXT SONG, IT IS FROM GRIMES WHO HAS DONE POP, ELECTRONIC, ALL THAT. AGAIN, ECLECTIC FRIDAY HERE ON WEEKEND LISTEN. AND I THINK THIS IS A PRETTY ROCKING SONG. IT IS WE APPRECIATE POWER AND THIS IS THE VIDEO RIGHT HERE. \M\M

>> SORT OF LIKE NINE INCH NAILS. WHAT DO YOU MAKE OF THAT?

>> WE WERE TALKING ABOUT IT WHILE THE VIDEO WAS PLAYING AND WE DON'T KNOW WHAT SHE'S GOING THROUGH, BUT WE LIKE IT. I LOVE A GOOD ANGRY BOP, VERY AGGRESSIVE. YOU NEED A MIXTURE IN MUSIC THESE DAYS. YOU KNOW, WE NEED SOME OF THAT -- \M\M SO SHE'S BRINGING A LOT OF THAT ENERGY. THE VISUALS ARE GOOD. I'M A HUGE VISUAL PERSON. AND I DON'T KNOW WHERE SHE'S GOING. HOPEFULLY IT IS HEALTHY.

>> AND WHAT JUST HAPPENED, THAT NEEDS TO BE EVERYWHERE. SHE'S BEEN HANGING OUT A LOT WITH ELON MUSK. MAYBE THAT IS HIS INFLUENCE.

>> THIS IS DEFINITELY A ROCK BANGER I AGREE, I LIKE THE VIBE. THE SENTIMENT IS ABOUT ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE AND IT IS BASICALLY COMING FOR YOU WHETHER YOU LIKE IT OR NOT. SO I WONDER HOW MUCH OF THAT HAS BEEN INFLUENCED BY ELON BECAUSE OF HIS STANCE IN THE WORLD. BUT, YEAH, THIS IS THE FIRST SONG I THINK THAT WE'LL HEAR FROM HER FIFTH ALBUM, AND SO I'M EXCITED. HER LAST ALBUM GOT SO MUCH PRAISE. SO A LOT TO LIVE UP TO AFTER COMING OFF OF A REALLY HIGHLY CRITICALLY ACCLAIMED ALBUM.

>> DEFINITELY.

>> AND THIS SONG IS COOL. I DON'T KNOW IF I CAN GET ON THE A.I. VIBE, THE FUTURISTIC PART OF IT, BUT THE SOUND -- BOP.

>> THAT'S WHAT THE KIDS ARE SAYING. THE BOP.

>> BUT THE NINE INCH NAILS VIBE THAT YOU MENTIONED.

>> ALL RIGHT. LET'S MOVE ON TO TRACK NUMBER FIVE ON OUR PLAYLIST. NEXT UP IS TAKASHI 69. IS IT JUST 69 NOW?

>> YEAH, AND THAT WHOLE WAVE IS CONFUSING.

>> WELL, LET'S CHECK OUT -- SO MUCH TO TALK ABOUT HERE. LET'S FIRST PLAY THE SONG. THIS IS MAMA FEATURING NICKI MINAJ AND KANYE WEST. \M\M

>> WHERE DO WE START WITH 69. THERE IS THE ALBUM, THE SONG WE JUST PLAYED WHICH WENT TO NUMBER ONE ON iTUNES THIS WEEK. HE IS FACING LIFE IN PRISON POTENTIALLY BECAUSE OF SOME RACKETEERING CHARGES. WHERE DO YOU WANT TO START?

>> YOU KNOW, I DON'T WISH PRISON ON ANYONE. BUT WE CAN TELL FROM THE YEAR THAT 69 HAS HAD THAT IT WAS EITHER COMING DOWN TO THIS OR EVEN WORSE. AND I REALLY HOPE HIS SITUATION WORKS OUT. BUT AS FAR AS THE MUSIC, SORRY, I'M NOT IMPRESSED.

>> WHY DON'T YOU LIKE IT? I LOVE IT.

>> IT IS NOT LIKE I DON'T LIKE IT. IT IS LIKE FRIED FOOD. YOU CAN'T HAVE IT ALL EVERY DAY. AND WHEN I LISTEN TO THIS ALBUM, I'M LIKE BY TRACK SEVEN, IS THIS A DIABETIC COMA, SO LET'S TURN IT OFF. SOME THINGS I CAN DO AND SOME THINGS I CAN'T. I LIKE MAMA, BUT WHY THE TWO --.

>> A LOT OF SHAKING OF HEADS.

>> I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO MAKE OF IT. HE IS KIND OF INVENTING HIS OWN RULES AT THIS POINT WHICH I LIKE. HE IS NOT AFRAID TO BE HIMSELF. BUT THE MUSIC KIND OF HAS TO MATCH UP AND I DON'T FEEL LIKE THIS ALBUM DOES THAT.

>> HE HAS GREAT BEATS ON IT. I LIKE WHAT HE DOES ON IT. AND THERE IS AN AMAZING JOB ON THE INSTRUMENTAL. HE HAS MARKETED HIMSELF AS A NEW YORK GANGSTER, HE RUNS THE CITY IN HIS OWN WORDS. AND HIS LAWYERS SAY THAT IS ALL FAKE. SO LET'S SAY THAT HE COMES BACK AFTER WHAT HE IS FACING AND I DON'T KNOW WHERE HE GOES FROM HERE BECAUSE HIS WHOLE IMAGE IS THIS LIKE GANGSTER. AND NOW IT IS COMING OUT LIKE WAIT, MAYBE THIS WAS ALL AN ACT.

>> COULD IT REALLY BE AN ACT, ALL THESE FEUDS, EVERYTHING?

>> I DON'T KNOW.

>> I FEEL LIKE IT IS NOT. I DON'T KNOW.

>> I HONESTLY THINK IT IS AN ACT. IN 2018, IF  --  LET'S SAY HE CAME OUT TODAY, RIGHT, HE WOULD MAYBE BE A LITTLE MILDER. BUT THEN HE WOULD INTENSIFY.

>> IT USED TO BE THE CHAMPION IN THE CULTURE AND NOW I FEEL LIKE WE HAVE PRIORITIZED ENTERTAINMENT.

>> HE IS SUCH AN INTERNET PERSONALITY THAT I FEEL LIKE -- THAT IS HOW I KNOW OF HIM MORE THAN THE MUSIC.

>> AND IT ALMOST DOESN'T MATTER IF HE WAS A GANGSTER OR NOT BECAUSE IT WAS ENTERTAINING. AND WE TALKED ABOUT MEEK AND DRAKE BEFORE. DID ANYONE REALLY CARE -- DO THE MASSES REALLY CARE THAT DRAKE DID NOT WRITE THAT SONG?

>> NO.

>> THEY JUST DIDN'T CARE.

>> THEY DON'T EVEN KNOW.

>> EXACTLY. BUT YOU BRING UP A GREAT POINT IN TERMS OF HIS SOCIAL MEDIA ANTICS. DO YOU FEEL IT OVERSHADOWS THE MUSIC?

>> THAT'S RIGHT. AND I LIKE THE GUEST APPEARANCES. I LIKE THAT KIND OF STUFF. BUT I'M JUST NOT -- I DON'T KNOW.

>> IT IS NOT ON PAR AS WHAT IT WAS BUILT UP TO BE BECAUSE IF YOU ARE GOING TO CALL YOURSELF THE KING OF NEW YORK AND YOU'RE GOING TO BE THIS BRAGGING TYPE OF GUY AND THE MUSIC DOESN'T LIVE UP, IT IS JUST A BIG LET DOWN.

>> I WILL SAY THOUGH, BECAUSE IT SEEMS LIKE I'M THE ONLY 69 FAN ON THE STAGE NOW, BUT HE IS 10 FOR 10 ON THE BILLBOARD TOP 100. MY WHOLE STANCE ON THE SOCIAL MEDIA STUFF IS I GET IT, HE IS ENTERTAINING AND I GET THAT HE HAS GARNERED AN INCREDIBLE FOLLOWING BECAUSE OF IT, BUT I THINK THE MUSIC IS LIKE -- THERE IS TIMELESS MUSIC AND THEN MAYBE THIS ISN'T TIMELESS, BUT I'M WITHIN 2018 AND I JUST WANT TO HAVE A GOOD TIME RIGHT NOW.

>> HE DOES HAVE SONGS LIKE THAT WHICH I DO APPRECIATE. BUT AGAIN, A WHOLE ALBUM'S WORTH? CAN ANYBODY DO IT?

>> NOT GOING TO BE BOPPING.

>> NOT DOING THAT.

>> AND I THINK THIS GUY IS IN THE CONVERSATION. CHANCE THE RAPPER HAS A COUPLE NEW SONGS OUT. THIS ONE IS CALLED THE MAN WHO HAS EVERYTHING. \M\M \M\M \M\M

>> A LITTLE TASTE OF THE NEW STUFF FROM CHANCE THE RAPPER. AND WE WERE TALKING BEFORE THE SHOW ABOUT CHANCE IS IN AN INTERESTING SPOT. HE HAD A MASSIVE MIX TAPE BUT HASN'T DROPPED THE FOLLOWUP ALBUM. HE IS GETTING HIS LIFE IN ORDER, HE HAS BEEN ENGAGED AND SEEMS HIS PRIORITIES ARE IN THE RIGHT PLACE. BUT WHAT DO YOU THINK OF HIM IN 2019?

>> HE IS EVERYWHERE. AND I THINK HE WAS IN LIKE AN AMAZON PRIME MOVIE HE IS WORKING ON. HE JUST ANNOUNCED THAT HE WILL BE HOSTING -- OR JUDGING A NETFLIX SHOW ABOUT THE HIP HOP INDUSTRY, CARDI B. SO I FEEL LIKE IS DIVERSIFYING HIMSELF OUTSIDE OF THE HIP HOP/RAP SORT OF WORLD AND TRYING TO BECOME MORE THAN JUST CHANCE THE RAPPER. SO THAT IS COOL. I'M INTO THAT.

>> DEFINITELY.

>> AND I ALSO LOVE THAT WE TALKED ABOUT BEING IN ENTERTAINMENT AS OPPOSED TO STRICTLY MUSIC. AND EVERY TIME I TURN ON THE TV, ONE FOOT IN THE DOOR, ONE FOOT IN THE GRAVE.

>> THAT IS A GOOD CHANCE.

>> THANK YOU. I PRACTICED. BUT HE HASN'T HAD TO MAKE AN INFLUX OF MUSIC BECAUSE HE HAS BEEN DOING PHILANTHROPY WORK. AND I THINK THESE TIMES, YOU DON'T NECESSARILY NEED TO MAKE MUSIC TO BE STILL RELEVANT? MUSIC. SO WHATEVER HE DROPS, HIS FANS ARE GOING TO FLOCK. THAT'S JUST WHAT IT IS. BUT IT IS A TESTAMENT TO THE OLD KIND OF WAY THAT MUSIC WORKS. WE JUST GIVE YOU A LITTLE AND KEEP YOU WAITING. WE DON'T HAVE TO PUT OUT SEVEN, EIGHT, NINE TRACKS EVERY THREE MONTHS. GIVE YOU A LITTLE BIT, GO AWAY. SO NOW PEOPLE ARE WAITING.

>> AND BECAUSE HE IS KIND OF AN INDEPENDENT ARTIST, NOT REALLY TIED TO A RECORD LABEL, HE CAN DO THAT. THIS IS SORT OF RELATED TO THE HOLIDAYS. HE TALKS ABOUT SANTA CLAUS AND GIFT, PREFERRING JESUS OVER SANTA AND ALL THIS STUFF. SO IT IS TIMELY SO RELEASE IT, WHY NOT.

>> AND SPEAKING OF THE HOLIDAYS, THE JEREMIAH MIX TAPE, ANYBODY KNOW ABOUT THIS? IT IS GREAT. I FEEL LIKE IT GOT LOST IN THE HOLIDAY MADNESS. BUT CHECK IT OUT. ALL RIGHT, THIS ONE, THIS MIGHT BE THE BUSIEST MAN IN MUSIC. THIS IS CALLED NOTHING LIKE YOU. CHECK IT OUT. \M\M \M\M

>> THERE YOU GO. KICK IT OFF, JAMEER.

>> YEAH, I'M A HUGE FAN. WHAT HE DOES -- HE IS A WONDERFUL DEEJAY TOO, HE IS ONE OF THOSE PRODUCERS THAT REALLY INDICATES -- HE CATERS AROUND ARTISTS AND THEY HAVE A GREAT RELATIONSHIP. SO IT IS GOOD TO SEE HIM BRANCHING OUT AND DOING MORE NONTRADITIONAL STUFF. I LOVE IT.

>> I DIG THAT TRACK AND I KNOW THAT HE HAS DONE A LOT OF REMIXES THIS YEAR. AND I THINK FANS ARE PROBABLY WELCOMING HIS OWN STUFF. THERE ARE SOME INSTRUMENTALS, TOO WHICH IS KIND OF COOL. SO YEAH.

>> COOL STUFF HEADING INTO THE WEEKEND. AND WE HAVE SOME AUDIENCE MEMBERS THAT I WOULD LOVE TO GET THEIR GUEST PICKS. BECAUSE THERE IS SO MUCH MUSIC OUT. LET'S GO HERE FIRST. DO WE HAVE A LIGHT? THERE YOU GO.

>> I'M ALL FOR SUPPORTING THE NEW YORK ARTISTS.

>> DO YOU LIKE 69?

>> NO. I GREW UP WITH HIS --

>> YOU ARE REALLY TRYING. I GET IT.

>> I DO NOT. I HAVE A STRANGE STORY ABOUT HIM TOO. ANYWAY, I'VE BEEN LISTENING TO -- ACTUALLY HE IS A FRIEND OF MINE, BUT HE MAKES REALLY GOOD MUSIC, HIS NAME IS JACOB DEIL. HE STARTED OUT IN SOUND CLOUD. HE IS ON ALL THE STREAMING PLATFORMS NOW AND HAS AN ALBUM COMING OUT. AT THE BEGINNING OF DECEMBER, HE WORKS WITH JAY CRICH WITH OFF RECORDS. BUT HE JUST DROPPED A SINGLE WHEN I DIE, IT IS AVAILABLE ON ALL STREAMING PLATFORMS AND IT IS REALLY GOOD.

>> YOU'RE DOING GREAT ON THE PROMO GAME RIGHT NOW. GIVE US ONE SONG THAT WE SHOULD CHECK OUT. IS IT THE NEW ONE? IF SOMEONE IS WATCHING, WHAT IS ONE SONG THEY SHOULD CHECK OUT.

>> I WOULD SAY PILLS.

>> PILLS.

>> WHICH IS ON SOUND CLOUD. IT IS HIS BIGGEST SONG THAT PEOPLE REALLY LIKE. IT IS OFF OF MISCOMMUNICATION WHICH IS HIS FIRST MIX TAPE.

>> IS THAT ABOUT MEDICINE?

>> IT IS ABOUT GROWING UP. BUT HE HAS LIKE GOOD LYRICS. HE HAS ACTUAL LIKE GOOD LYRICS.

>> THAT IS COOL. ALL RIGHT. THANK YOU SO MUCH. VERY COOL. ALL RIGHT. WE HAVE A COUPLE MORE PICKS FOR SOME AUDIENCE FEEDBACK.

>> YEAH, SO BASICALLY THERE IS THIS ARTIST THAT I REALLY LIKE, HER NAME IS RENA. AND BASICALLY SHE WAS BORN IN JAPAN, BUT GREW UP IN BRITAIN. SHE DROPPED HER DEBUT LAST YEAR. PEOPLE REFER TO HER AS ASIAN BRITNEY SPEARS. BASICALLY SHE HAS HAD A PRETTY GOOD YEAR. SHE HAS DROPPED THREE SINGLES. AND HER MOST RECENT THIS WEEK IS CALLED FLICKER. AND IT IS JUST A REALLY FUN CATCHY UPBEAT LIKE SELF-CONFIDENCE LIKE BOP. AND THE STORY BEHIND IT IS ALSO REALLY COOL AS WELL BECAUSE OF HER LAST NAME. SHE TOLD THE STORY OF HOW BASICALLY A TEACHER BUTCHERED HER LAST NAME IN SCHOOL WHEN SHE WAS SUPER YOUNG AND SO SHE SORT OF CRIED BECAUSE OF IT. AND THAT IS WHEN SHE FIRST REALIZED THAT SHE WAS DIFFERENT AND SHE TURNED IT AROUND AND MADE IT MORE ABOUT SELF EMPOWERMENT.

>> I FEEL LIKE I KNOW THIS ARTIST. DID SHE SING ORDINARY SUPERSTAR?

>> YES.

>> SHE'S AMAZING. SHE'S FANTASTIC.

>> YEAH, SHE'S AMAZING. IF YOU SEE HER LIVE, IT IS LIKE WOW. SHE IS LIKE A POP STAR IN THE MAKING.

>> SO GOOD SHE DID A SHOW IN NEW YORK HERE, I FORGET WHERE.

>> AND YEAH, SHE HAD TWO SHOWS.

>> SHE'S FANTASTIC.

>> DO WE HAVE ONE MORE PICK FROM THE AUDIENCE? THERE WE GO.

>> THANK YOU. I WAS IN VERMONT FOR THANKSGIVING AND I HAPPENED UPON THIS LITTLE INDY HIP HOP SHOW AND I SAID WHAT THE HELL, I'LL CHECK IT OUT. AND I WAS BLOWN AWAY BY THIS GUY CALLED HUMBLE AMONG. THAT IS HIS NAME. JUST ONE GUY. AND HE WORKS WITH A COUPLE DIFFERENT DEEJAYS AND HE MAKES SOME OF HIS OWN BEATS. HE IS NOT A RAPPER LIKE IN THE SENSE OF CHANCE THE RAPPER. HE IS VERY NERD CORE, VERY OFF BEAT, SPECIFIC WEIRD REFERENCES. HE JUST PUT OUT AN EP CALLED HALLOWEEN BUT IT IS STILL SUPER RELEVANT. DEFINITELY CHECK IT OUT. HE IS ON ALL THOSE SOUND CLOUD AND ALL THOSE ONLINE THINGS. HUMBLE AMONG. AND HE JUST DID A REALLY COOL SONG CALLED DON'T SHOOT WITH A CAT CALLED JUDAS BOOTH WHICH KIND OF ADDRESSES THAT WE'RE IN A WORLD GONE MAD. IT IS REALLY DEEP STUFF. IT WILL GIVE YOU ALL THE FEELS. SO CHECK IT OUT ON YOUR ECLECTIC FRIDAY. GIVE A SHOUT TO HUMBLE AMONG.

>> ARE YOU HUMBLE AMONG?

>> NO, I'M NOT HIM. I'M NOT AFFILIATED. I'M NOT PAID TO GIVE HIM A SHOUT OUT. JUST DOING IT OUT OF THE FACT THAT I'M A FAN.

>> IS IT SPOKEN WORD KIND OF STUFF?

>> I MEAN HIS FLOW IS -- IT IS JUST DIFFERENT. IT IS JUST FITTING AS MUCH SYLLABLES IN EACH LINE AS HE CAN. IT IS VERY DENSE.

>> INTERESTING. THANK YOU SO MUCH, DUDE. ALL RIGHT. WELL, HUMBLE AMONG AND THEN I WON'T EVEN TRY TO SAY HER NAME, BUT I AM A FAN OF THE ARTIST THAT YOU MENTIONED. AND THEN PILLS. RIGHT ON. COOL. ALL RIGHT.

>> WE'RE BOTH LIKE --

>> I KNOW WHAT I'M DOING.

>> ALL RIGHT, GUYS. THANK YOU BOTH SO MUCH FOR STOPPING BY AND THANK YOU FOR WATCHING. WE'LL BE BACK NEXT FRIDAY WITH A NEW PLAYLIST FOR YOU.

Sebastian Stan

Always a pleasure to sit down with the great Sebastian Stan. From working with Nicole Kidman on "Destroyer" to his role as Winter Soldier in the MCU, listen to what the actor had to say. (Photo Credit: Mike Pont /BUILD )

William Jackson Harper

We had a blast kicking our week off with William Jackson Harper of NBC's "The Good Place!" Hear what it's like on the set of the hit show and why he loves working with Kristen Bell. (Photo Credit: Jammi York /BUILD )

Killer Mike, host of Netflix's "Trigger Warning with Killer Mike," on BUILD Series

Talk about being woke! 😳 Our conversation with Killer Mike of Run The Jewels and Netflix's "Trigger Warning" was one for the books. It's a must-watch! (Photo Credit: Mike Pont /BUILD )

Beatrice Vantapool, Matt Medved, Lauren Moraski & Kevan Kenney

From Ariana Grande's new song to Logic's place in the industry, be sure to tune in to our discussion with our 4 music experts! (Photo Credit: Mike Pont /BUILD )

Adam Conover

Adam Conover definitely doesn't ruin everything; the proof is our awesome chat with him. Find out how the investigative comedian came up with the show, "Adam Ruins Everything." (Photo Credit: Mike Pont /BUILD )

Baron Davis & Brandon Armstrong

Our hilarious chat with "WTF Baron Davis" stars will leave you "balling!" See what we did there. 🤣...Make sure to tune in to hear all about the new Fuse series. (Photo Credit: Mike Pont /BUILD )

Mary Wiseman, Sonequa Martin-Green, Anthony Rapp & Anson Mount

We had the pleasure of talking with the stars of "Star Trek: Discovery" about season 2 of the CBS series. If you want to live long and prosper then check out our convo with this awesome cast. 🖖 (Photo Credit: Mike Pont /BUILD )

Melissa B. Miller Costanzo & Molly Ringwald

If there's anyone who knows a thing or two about coming-of-age stories it's Molly Ringwald. Watch our discussion with Ringwald and director Melissa B. Miller Costanzo about their film, "All These Small Moments." (Photo Credit: Jammi York /BUILD )

Dianna Agron

There's no such thing as perfect, but Dianna Agron has us thinking otherwise! 😫 From her "Glee" days to her Cafe Carlyle return, the talented actress and musician gave us all the details! (Photo Credit: Mike Pont /BUILD )

Spencer Treat Clark

"Unbreakable" + "Split" = "Glass" which makes us 🤩! Don't miss Spencer Treat Clark share his experience about getting back on-set with Bruce Willis, Samuel L. Jackson and go-kart racing with James McAvoy. (Photo Credit: Mike Pont /BUILD )

Jonas Åkerlund & Mads Mikkelsen

Mads Mikkelsen and director Jonas Åkerlund make one hell of a team and the evidence is "Polar." Hear all about the (freezing 🥶) blast they had filming the new Netflix Original movie. (Photo Credit: Jammi York /BUILD )

Jameer Pond, Shannon Coffey & Kevan Kenney

Check out what our host Kevan, cultural commentator Jameer and comedian/BUILD Brunch host Shannon had to say about #NewMusicFriday in what was a great and hilarious first Weekend Listen of 2019. (Photo Credit: Mike Pont /BUILD )

Steve Zahn, Bradley Whitford, Matthew Carnahan, Stephan Paternot & Lamorne Morris

You ever wonder how the internet came to be? 🤔 Well, here's your chance to find out! Watch our convo with the folks behind Nat Geo's limited series, "Valley of the Boom. (Photo Credit: JP Yim /BUILD )

Haley Joel Osment

The second season of Hulu's "Future Man" is upon us! Find out what Haley Joel Osment likes about working on the comedy and what other projects you can catch him in later this year. (Photo Credit: Jammi York /BUILD )

Megan Boone

From working with the prolific James Spader to sliding into DMs and being more eco-friendly, we had a great time chatting with "The Blacklist" star Megan Boone. (Photo Credit: Mike Pont /BUILD )

Manuel Rulfo-Garcia & Manolo Caro

Vea nuestra entrevista con director Manolo Caro y actor Manuel Garcia-Rulfo sobre su nueva película,"Perfectos Desconocidos." ¡Estarás feliz de haberlo hecho! (Photo Credit: Jammi York /BUILD )

Jenna Coleman

She just gives regal vibes! Jenna Coleman, who plays Queen Victoria on PBS' "Victoria," sat down to talk with us about the acclaimed series. Tune in! (Photo Credit: Jammi York /BUILD )

Alice Eve

If only there were two of Alice Eve, but we'll gladly take the one! 🥰  The "Replicas" star gave us the details of what it was like shooting the film, working with Keanu Reeves and more. (Photo Credit: BUILD /BUILD )

Terry Crews

To know him is to love him! The always motivational and wise Terry Crews stopped by to talk the new season of  "Brooklyn Nine-Nine" and his gig as host of "AGT: The Champions." (Photo Credit: Mike Pont /BUILD )

Catriona Gray

That smile though! 😊 Catriona Gray, aka Miss Universe, Philippines 2018, told us how much she appreciates all her supporters and what fuels her as a person and advocate. (Photo Credit: Mike Pont /BUILD )

Josh Dallas

🗣 We're back and we're calling all Manifesters! Hear what about the "Manifest" script drew actor Josh Dallas to the NBC series. (Photo Credit: Mike Pont /BUILD )

Allison Williams

We were lucky enough to kick off the new year with none other than the lovely Allison Williams! Find out what she enjoyed about joining "A Series of Unfortunate Events". (Photo Credit: Mike Pont /BUILD )

Lyrica Okano

We ended our 2018 on a high note with Lyrica Okano! The star of the Hulu original, Marvel's "Runaways," shared what it's like working for the renowned comic behemoth. (Photo Credit: Mike Pont /BUILD )

Paris Hilton

Now that's 🔥! The one and only Paris Hilton stopped by the studio to chat about her time working on the Netflix documentary, "The American Meme," and more.  (Photo Credit: Mike Pont /BUILD )

Willem Dafoe

Genuinely one of our favorite guests, it's always a pleasure to have the great Willem Dafoe. Watch our discussion about his Vincent Van Gogh portrayal in the film, "At Eternity's Gate." (Photo Credit: Noam Galai /BUILD )

Robert Zemeckis

Robert Zemeckis is the man behind every film we've come to know and love! Hear what he had to say about creating the new unique drama, "Welcome to Marwen." (Photo Credit: Mike Pont /BUILD )

Amy Adams & Steve Carell

It's not every day that we have actors of such magnitude like Amy Adams and Steve Carell! You cannot miss our conversation with the stars of the Golden Globe-nominated film, "Vice."

(Photo Credit: Noam Galai /BUILD )

Cody Simpson

Cody Simpson has made his Broadway debut on the amazing "Anastasia," and we couldn't be happier! Find out what the actor/singer has been enjoying most about the musical. (Photo Credit: Noam Galai /BUILD )

Hailee Steinfeld

She sure can take a photo! 😍 We were ecstatic to talk to the lovely Hailee Steinfeld about her role in the new Transformers film, "Bumblebee," and more! (Photo Credit: Noam Galai /BUILD )

Colson Baker (Machine Gun Kelly), Rosa Salazar, Danielle Macdonald, Lil Rel Howrey & Susanne Bier

Your Netflix list is going to get a bit longer because you're going to want to see "Bird Box!" The film's cast and director shared some of the funniest moments on-set. (Photo Credit: Mike Pont /BUILD )

of