11.20.18

Tichina Arnold & Tisha Campbell Chat About Hosting The "Soul Train Awards"

"The Neighborhood" follows Dave Johnson (Max Greenfield) as he and his family arrive from Michigan to an LA community quite different from their previous small town. However, their opinionated next-door neighbor Calvin Butler (Cedric the Entertainer) is wary of the newcomers, certain that they'll disrupt the culture on the block. Dave realizes that fitting in with the new community is more complex than he had expected, but if he can find a way to connect with Calvin, there's an excellent chance of making the new neighborhood a great place to live. Tichina Arnold and Tisha Campbell visited BUILD to talk about the CBS series.

View Transcript

>>> THANKS SO MUCH. WELCOME TO BUILD. I’M YOUR HOST RICKY CAMILLERI. WE HAVE SOMETHING REALLY FUN FOR YOU TODAY. YOU LOVE OUR NEXT GUESTS AS BEST FRIENDS ON ONE OF THE FUNNIEST SITCOMS OF ALL TIME, "MARTIN". THIS WEEKEND, YOU CAN SEE TISHA CAMPBELL AND TICHINA ARNOLD TOGETHER AGAIN WHEN THEY HOST THE SOUL TRAIN AWARDS. LET’S TAKE A LOOK.

>> YOU NEED TO FIX THIS.

>> THEY TRY TO GIVE YOU THE BIGGER DRESS.

>> NO. DID YOU FIX IT?

>> OF COURSE, I DID.

>> THIS IS THE SOUL TRAIN AWARDS. IT'S ABOUT TOGETHERNESS.

>> I TOLD THEM TO GIVE ME THE BIGGER ONE.

>> SHE DOESN'T NEED AIR CONDITIONING. SHE’S PART WHITE. THEY DON'T GET COLD.

>> PLEASE WELCOME --

>> THANK YOU. THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT.

>> HOW EXCITED ARE YOU FOR TISHA CAMPBELL AND TICHINA ARNOLD? [ CHEERS AND APPLAUSE ]

>> THE TWO OF YOU ARE SO MUCH FUN. WE WERE DOWN STAIRS SHOOTING A VIDEO. SO MUCH FUN, SOME OF THE FUN GUESTS WE’VE EVER HAD.

>> WE REALLY GOT ON HIS NERVES.

>> PLEASE, GOD NO.

>> WE HAVE KNOWN EACH OTHER SINCE WE WERE 11 AND 12. I SAY 11 AND 12 BECAUSE SHE WANTS EVERYBODY TO KNOW I'M OLDER THAN HER.

>> HOW DID YOU TWO MEET?

>> ON AUDITION.

>> SHE’S FROM NEWARK.

>> I'M FROM JAMAICA, QUEENS.

>> WHATEVER. WHAT HAPPENED WAS WE WOULD SEE EACH OTHER ON AUDITIONS ALL THE TIME.

>> WE JUST BECAME FRIENDS. IT BECAME ABOUT IF I DON'T GET IT I WANT YOU TO GET IT. WE WERE EACH OTHER'S CHEERLEADERS.

>> THE FIRST TIME YOU GOT CAST TOGETHER WAS "LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS", RIGHT?

>> DID WE DO OTHER STUFF?

>> WE WERE EACH OTHER'S UNDER STUDY SOMETIMES.

>> I TOOK OVER FOR -- I NEVER ACTUALLY DID IT. YOU GOT ANOTHER JOB OR SOMETHING.

>> WE DIDN'T WORK TOGETHER. WE WERE GOING TO REHEARSE TOGETHER. "LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS" WAS THE FIRST ONE. THAT WAS A GOOD QUESTION.

>> THE ANSWER IS YES.

>> BY THE TIME YOU WERE DOING IT TOGETHER WERE YOU CLOSE FRIENDS AT THAT POINT OR DID YOU KNOW EACH OTHER FROM AUDITIONS?

>> WE GOT CLOSER DOING "LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS.”

>> IT WAS CHEAPER TO FILM IN LONDON SO WE STAYED IN LONDON FOR EIGHT MONTHS FILMING THERE. YOU HAVE TWO YOUNG BLACK KIDS, ONE FROM NEWARK, ONE FROM QUEENS. WE USED TO GO TO HYDE PARK AND JUST MAKE UP DANCES.

>> ALL WE HAD WAS EACH OTHER. IT WAS A CULTURAL SHOCK FOR US.

>> WE USED TO SNEAK INTO THE CLUBS.

>> THAT SOUNDS LIKE A GREAT MOVIE. I WANT TO SEE THE MOVIE OF TWO ACTRESSES BEING SHIPPED OFF TO LONDON ALONE.

>> YOU HAVE TO GIVE US CREDIT FOR THAT. YOU GOT TO SHARE THAT.

>> OF COURSE.

>> ABSOLUTELY.

>> THEN THE TWO OF YOU GET CAST ON MARTIN TOGETHER. DID THEY KNOW?

>> SHE WAS ADAMANT ABOUT THEM NOT KNOWING.

>> MARTIN ASKED HER TO DO THE ROLE ON MARTIN. THEY HAD JUST DONE HOUSE PARTY.

>> SO WHEN HE ASKED, I WAS LIVING WITH HER AT THE TIME. I DIDN'T QUITE MOVE YET. I WAS GIVING L.A. A SHOT.

>> SHE WENT THERE.

>> I WAS ACTUALLY UP FOR TWO OTHER PILOTS. I DIDN'T REALLY WANT MARTIN. IT WAS THIS OTHER PILOT THAT I REALLY, REALLY WANTED. IT WAS CALLED MAIN STREET. HAD IT GOT PICKED UP I WOULD NOT HAVE DONE MARTIN.

>> I HAD A SERIES PICKED UP AND SOMETHING IN ME SAID NO. THE SERIES WAS PICKED UP FOR LIKE 13 EPISODES.

>> MARTIN DIDN'T KNOW I WAS STAYING WITH HER AT THE TIME. HE CAME OVER TO DROP THE SCRIPT OFF TO HER AND TALK ABOUT THE SHOW. I HAD ALREADY AUDITIONED. HE WALKED IN AND SAID -- DO YOU KNOW EACH OTHER? I THINK HE THOUGHT WE SET HIM UP. [ LAUGHTER ] THE WAY SHE GOT THE ROLE IS BECAUSE -- HE SAID EVERYBODY WAS COMING IN, HI. SURE, OKAY. READY TO START? SHE CAME IN THERE LIKE THIS. Y'ALL READY?

>> BECAUSE MY BRAIN WAS JUST -- PEOPLE DON'T REALIZE PAM WAS ORIGINALLY WRITTEN FOR A HEAVY SET WOMAN. ALL THE JOKES WERE FAT JOKES BASICALLY. I WAS LIKE HOW AM I GOING TO PULL THIS OFF BECAUSE OBVIOUSLY I'M NOT FAT.

>> BUT!!

>> THANKFULLY THAT WASN'T DONE.

>> EXACTLY. I WAS A LITTLE OFF PUT BY IT. I HAD TO LITERALLY GO IN MY AUDITIONS AND BE HERSELF. THEN SHE BECAME THE GINGER. I'M THE MARYANN AND I BECAME THE GINGER. IT'S A GILLIGAN'S ISLAND REFERENCE. SHE IS OLD.

>> WHAT WAS IT LIKE WITH THE TWO OF YOU ON SET ALL THE TIME AS BEST FRIENDS? HOW OFTEN DID THEY TELL YOU TO STOP?

>> NEVER. NOT ON MARTIN. WE CAME TO WORK AND LAUGHED EVERY DAY. IF YOU WATCHED THE SHOW, YOU WILL HEAR US LAUGHING AT EACH OTHER'S SCENES.

>> THE QUESTION WAS, DID THEY HAVE TO CALM US DOWN?

>> NOT REALLY.

>> I WOULD SAY WE ARE THE MOST PROFESSIONAL PEOPLE YOU CAN EVER WANT TO WORK WITH. RIGHT NOW WE HAVE A LOT OF FUN WITH YOU BECAUSE WE KNOW WE COULD. WE ARE VERY PROFESSIONAL. WE COME TO WORK. WE TAKE WHAT WE DO VERY SERIOUSLY. WE COME FROM A VERY OLD SCHOOL WAY OF WORKING. MY GRANDMOTHER USED TO TELL ME YOU HAVE TO BE EXTRAORDINARY IN ORDER TO BE CONSIDERED AVERAGE. THAT MEANS YOU HAVE TO BE EXTRAORDINARY. SO WE ALWAYS CAME WITH OUR A GAME BECAUSE BACK IN THE DAY WE WERE COMPETING AGAINST SOME FIERCE, FIERCE WOMEN LIKE REGINA KING, VIVICA FOX.

>> FRANK OZ AUDITIONED EVERY COLOR, EVERY CREED. I ASKED HIM, I WAS LIKE HOW DID YOU GET BACK TO US? HE SAID BECAUSE YOU GIRLS BOUGHT SOMETHING THAT NOBODY ELSE BOUGHT. I THINK IT WAS BECAUSE WE KNEW EACH OTHER. WE ALREADY --

>> WE WERE SINGING TOGETHER.

>> WE WENT TO SCHOOL TOGETHER.

>> OUR CHEMISTRY WAS GREAT.

>> IT WAS ABOUT THE CHEMISTRY. EVERYTHING IS ALWAYS ABOUT CHEMISTRY.

>> YOU SAY THAT EVERY DAY ON MARTIN. WHEN I GO BACK AND WATCH EPISODES OF MARTIN IT'S ONE OF THE FEW SITCOMS THAT YOU GET THE SENSE OF THAT FROM, THAT EVERYBODY WAS HAVING THE BEST TIME IN CRACKING EACH OTHER UP.

>> I DON'T WATCH MYSELF. MY DAUGHTER BINGE WATCHED MARTIN ONE TIME. I WAS LIKE BABY, WHERE ARE YOU? SHE IS LIKE I WAS IN THE ROOM. SHE WAS LIKE I JUST WATCHED MARTIN. MOM, YOU WERE REALLY FUNNY. I WAS LIKE I TOLD YOU I WAS FUNNY.

>> OUR KIDS DON'T THINK WE ARE FUNNY AT ALL.

>> ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS SHOW THEM THE WEEKEND VACATION EPISODE.

>> THAT PARTICULAR EPISODE WE WERE SHORT WHICH MEANS BASICALLY WE NEEDED MORE TIME SO WE HAD TO FILL IT IN. MARTIN WAS LIKE JUST FOLLOW ME. WE GOT TO EXTEND THIS. WHATEVER I DO WE JUST GOT TO MAKE IT UP. I WAS LIKE OKAY. AFTER THERE WAS A PUPPY IN MY ROOM WE EXTENDED THAT THING UNTIL WE GOT IT TO ITS NICE 30 MINUTES.

>> AND YOU BROUGHT IT BACK. YOU DON'T JUST DO THE JOKE ONCE. YOU DO IT TWICE.

>> ROLLING AROUND ON ROLLERS, IT DIDN'T LOOK LIKE ANYTHING LIKE A PUPPY. WE HAD A LOT OF AMAZING PEOPLE BEHIND THE SCENES AS WELL. THEY CAME IN AND WE HAD TO DO THE SHOW. THEY WERE LIKE OKAY. WE HAVE TO HAVE A PREACHER. WE LOOKED AT IT AND THEY HAD IT ROLLING ON THE GROUND. WE WERE LIKE HOW ARE WE SUPPOSED TO ACT WITH A RAT PUPPY.

>> YOU TOLD ME SOMETHING DOWN STAIRS. YOU TOLD ME THIS DOWN STAIRS WHICH I DIDN'T KNOW THAT BRUH MAN FROM THE FIFTH FLOOR, IT WAS AN ACCIDENT. THE FOUR FINGERS --

>> HE MEANT TO PUT HIS FOUR FINGERS UP.

>> LIKE DUDE, THAT IS FOUR FINGERS. WHAT ARE YOU DOING?

>> THE WRITERS WOULD SIT NEXT TO US AT LUNCH JUST TO OVERHEAR WHAT WE WERE TALKING ABOUT. REMEMBER WE WERE TALKING ABOUT NICKNAMES ONE DAY. I HAPPENED TO SAY PEOPLE CALL ME APPLE HEAD. THEN I WENT FROM APPLE TO THE BIGGEST HEAD KNOWN TO MAN. SO MY HEAD WAS JUST -- TOMMY WAS COMPLAINING BECAUSE THEY WERE LIKE HE IS A SHAKESPEAREAN ACTOR. THEY WERE LIKE PEOPLE ALWAYS SAY YOU GUYS JUST WALK INTO THE THING. YOU DON'T HAVE A HOUSE OR A KEY. THEY ARE NOT DEVELOPING MY CHARACTER. THEY WAS LIKE WE ARE GOING TO GET HIM BACK. NOW HE DON'T HAVE NO JOB. EVERY TIME WE SAID YOU AIN'T GOT NO JOB HE WOULD BE SO MAD. MARTIN TAUGHT US HOW TO THINK QUICK ON OUR FEET. THE CAMERAS WOULD JUST ROLL AS YOU CAN TELL. I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE LIKE ANYBODY THAT HAS BEEN TO THE INHOUSE STUDIO AUDIENCE, WHEN YOU CAME TO OUR SHOW YOU LITERALLY WATCHED A LIVE PLAY. IT FELT LIKE CAROL BURNETT AND FRIENDS. IT WAS JUST LAUGHTER AT ALL TIMES.

>> I LOVE CAROL BURNETT.

>> OUR GOAL BECAUSE MARTIN SHOWS AUDIENCES WORK DIFFERENTLY. WE LAUGH LIKE THIS. THAT'S WHAT YOU HEAR. YOU CAN HEAR THE RUMBLE.

>> HOW DO WHITE AUDIENCES LAUGH?

>> OH THEY CLAP. [APPLAUSE]

>> THAT WAS OUR GOAL IS TO HEAR THAT RUMBLE? SO THAT WE KNEW WE WERE DOING --

>> WE ARE PRODUCING PARTNERS NOW. SO AFTER ALL OF THESE YEARS WE FINALLY REALIZE OUR STRENGTH TOGETHER. SO WE THOUGHT IT WOULD BE A GREAT IDEA. WE GOT IN THERE AND PRODUCED EVERY SEGMENT. THE OPENING IS CRAZY. WHEN WE FIRST TALKED ABOUT IT, WE THOUGHT ABOUT ALL OF THE OPENINGS THAT WE HAVE SEEN EVEN RECENTLY. WE DIDN'T WANT IT TO BE LIKE WE ARE GOING TO SHOW OFF OUR TALENTS. TODAY YOU WILL SEE US DANCE. WE DIDN'T WANT THAT. WE DIDN'T WANT DIM THE LIGHTS. WE WANTED PEOPLE TO SEE EVERYTHING BUT INCORPORATE OUR PERSONALITIES.

>> AND BEING IN FRONT OF THE CAMERA FOR SO MANY YEARS, WE HAVE LEARNED AND ABSORBED SO MUCH IN THIS INDUSTRY. TO BE ABLE TO ALLOW -- TO HAVE A PLATFORM TO AFFORD OURSELVES TO BE ABLE TO CREATE AND BUILD OTHER PLATFORMS FOR OTHER PEOPLE, THE SOUL TRAIN OPPORTUNITY WAS GREAT FOR US. YOU HAVE DON CORNELIUS THAT STARTED AN AMAZING BRAND YEARS AGO. HE WAS AHEAD OF HIS TIME. SOUL TRAIN, EVERYBODY REMEMBERS WHEN SOUL TRAIN WAS OUT. YOU KNOW ON SATURDAY MORNING YOU GOT UP AND NOBODY CHANGED THAT CHANNEL WHEN SOUL TRAIN CAME ON. SOUL TRAIN AS A BRAND BRIDGED A LOT OF GAPS FOR SOCIETY. YOU WOKE UP AND SAW YOUR FAVORITE SINGER WITHOUT BUYING A CONCERT TICKET. YOU SAW -- I DON'T KNOW THE ASIAN WOMAN, THE ONE THAT HAD THE LONG HAIR. YOU HAD JODI WATTLY, SO MANY PEOPLE THAT IF YOU WATCH SOUL TRAIN YOU ARE LIKE OH, MY GOD. THAT’S ROSIE PEREZ.

>> SHE WAS DOING THAT SAME DANCE ON SOUL TRAIN.

>> SOUL TRAIN HAS BEEN A CONDUIT FOR SOME AMAZING THINGS. FOR US TO BE A PART OF THE SOUL TRAIN BRAND AND FOR US TO BE A PART OF SOUL TRAIN AWARDS AND TO USHER IN MORE OF THAT LEGACY IS JUST VERY HUMBLING.

>> IS THIS THE FIRST TIME THAT YOU CO-HOSTED SOMETHING TOGETHER?

>> NO.

>> WE COHOSTED THIS THING FOR B.E.T.

>> NAACP.

>> IT'S NOT AIRED OR ANYTHING. THEY NEVER PUT US TOGETHER.

>> WE USED TO GO TO AWARD SHOWS THAT EXECUTIVES THOUGHT YOU SIT UP THERE.

>> SIT DOWN!

>> WHY?

>> BECAUSE WE STEAL FOCUS.

>> YOU THINK THAT IS WHAT IT IS?

>> WE CAN BE LOUD SOMETIMES.

>> WHAT HAS IT BEEN LIKE FOR THE TWO OF YOU? YOU HAVE AN AWARDS SHOW. YOU ARE WORKING WITH WRITERS. YOU AS PRODUCERS ARE SAYING THAT IS US AND THAT IS NOT US. THAT IS FUNNY TO US.

>> WHO CAN BETTER TELL YOU A STORY THAN YOURSELF. WE ARE A PART OF THIS ICONIC BRAND. WE WANTED TO MAKE SURE THAT YOU WEREN'T WATCHING ACTORS OR TWO PEOPLE THAT LOVE TO SING AND DANCE AND WE HAVE DONE IT AND WE USE SOUL TRAIN TO GET OUR -- IT'S NOT ABOUT -- THIS IS ABOUT SOUL TRAIN. WE WANT TO MAKE SURE THAT WE REPRESENT THIS BRAND IN A WAY THAT HAS ALWAYS BEEN A PART OF OUR CULTURE AND WE WANT TO MAKE SURE THAT THE STUDIO AUDIENCE AND THE AUDIENCES THAT ARE WATCHING AT HOME, THAT THEY ARE LAUGHING AND ENGAGED.

>> THERE HAS TO BE A CRAZY FEELING FOR THE TWO OF YOU AS TWO WOMEN WHO HAVE KNOWN EACH OTHER SINCE THEY WERE 11 AND 12 AND PROBABLY WERE WATCHING SOUL TRAIN AT THAT TIME ARE NOW HOSTING IT TOGETHER.

>> IT'S CRAZY.

>> FOR US IT WAS AN ICONIC MOMENT FOR US. THIS IS SOMETHING THAT HAS BEEN A PART OF US SINCE WE WERE KIDS. AND THEN WE HAD A RESPONSIBILITY, TOO. I THINK THAT WE WANTED TO MAKE SURE THAT AS TWO PEOPLE COMING TOGETHER, STANDING ON THE STAGE, THAT ALL GENERATIONS WERE INCLUDED.

>> SEE HOW WE ARE HAVING A CONVERSATION. WE ARE TALKING TO A WHITE MAN, TWO BLACK GIRLS TALKING TO A WHITE MAN ABOUT SOUL TRAIN. THIS IS HOW IMPACTFUL SOUL TRAIN WAS. SO FOR US TO BE ABLE TO BE A PART OF THAT --

>> I THINK MARTIN WAS IMPACTFUL LIKE THAT, AS WELL. MARTIN WAS WATCHED BY A WIDE AUDIENCE.

>> NOT UNTIL LATER, THOUGH.

>> REALLY? MARTIN DID NOT KNOW -- WE HAD --

>> WE HAD CRITICS -- MARTIN SHOULD BE --

>> I MEAN LIKE IN THE HOUSE THAT I GREW UP IN MY FAMILY LOVED MARTIN.

>> IT WASN'T UNTIL IT WAS SYNDICATED. YOU WERE PROBABLY WATCHING IT.

>> YOU WERE WATCHING IT ON FOX THURSDAY NIGHTS.

>> FOX WAS A SYNDICATED NETWORK BACK THEN.

>> IT'S NOT A REAL NETWORK, BUT A SYNDICATED NETWORK.

>> YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN.

>> WASN'T THE LINEUP YOU LIVING SINGLE UNDER COVER?

>> WE CALL IT BLACK ON THE BLOCK.

>> THERE IS 9-YEAR-OLD WHITE ME LOVING IT.

>> WHICH IS WHY WE LOVE SHOW BUSINESS. WE HAVE DONE THIS SO LONG BECAUSE SHOW BUSINESS FOR US, THE BUSINESS OF SHOW HAS ALLOWED US A PLATFORM TO BE ABLE TO SPEAK TO THE WORLD.

>> TO THE WORLD.

>> TO COMMUNICATE WITH THE WORLD. THIS IS WHY WE NEED THE ARTS. WE NEED TO BE ABLE TO BE A PART OF THE THINGS THAT WE ARE A PART OF. US PRODUCING IS MAKING SURE THAT WE KEEP THE INTEGRITY OF THAT.

>> WHAT CAN WE EXPECT FROM THE TWO OF YOU IN TERMS OF BRINGING THOSE GENERATIONS TOGETHER?

>> WE MADE SURE THAT WE INCORPORATED TODAY'S ARTISTS AND YESTERDAY'S ARTISTS. WE DID DO A TRIBUTE TO THE '90s. WE ARE ALSO QUEENS OF TODAY. WE WANTED TO MAKE SURE THAT PEOPLE REALLY GOT THAT FROM US, THAT THEY REALLY GOT A SENSE OF, YOU KNOW, GENERATION X, Y, MILLENNIUMS. Y? Z. AND BABY BOOMERS COULD HAVE A FEELING OF BEING INVOLVED AND REALLY ENJOY THE SOUL TRAIN AWARDS. WE WANTED TO PAY HOMAGE TO GREAT ARTISTS.

>> OH, MY GOSH.

>> BETTER ARTISTS?

>> OLD SCHOOL JOKE THAT WE HAVE. BACK IN THE DAY LIKE THAT MEANT A LOT TO PEOPLE. YOU WANTED TO BE TOP BILL. THAT IS WHAT ACTORS WANT.

>> WE DON'T CARE. IT'S ABOUT THE WORK.

>> REALLY FOR US AND THE REASON WHY OUR CAREERS HAVE BEEN SO LONG AND VAST IS BECAUSE WE UNDERSTAND WHAT WE ARE DOING. OUR JOB AS ARTISTS IS TO SERVE OTHER PEOPLE, IS TO SERVE YOU. IT'S NOT TO SERVE OURSELVES. SO WHEN YOU KEEP THAT IN PERSPECTIVE LIKE THAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A CELEBRITY AND AN ARTIST. WE KNOW THAT WE ARE SERVING OTHER PEOPLE. THAT'S IMPORTANT TO US. KNOWING WHY YOU ARE DOING THIS BUSINESS, WE WERE ALWAYS DIFFERENT BECAUSE WE WERE ALWAYS DOING IT TO HELP OTHER PEOPLE.

>> SHOW BUSINESS IS LIKE YOUR BOYFRIEND I ALWAYS SAY. WHEN IT'S NOT FEEDING YOU OR TAKING YOU OUT, WHEN IT IS NOT SAYING HOW MUCH HE LOVES YOU AND NOT GIVING YOU WHAT YOU WANT, DO YOU STILL LOVE IT? ARE YOU STILL IN LOVE WITH IT? I SAY TO PEOPLE WHATEVER INDUSTRY YOU ARE IN, JUST LOVE WHAT YOU DO. I WANT TO WAKE UP EVERY DAY DOING WHAT I LOVE.

>> AND THERE ARE MANY PEOPLE THAT DON'T. WE MUST NOT TAKE THAT FOR GRANTED. I DON'T MEAN TO BRING THE ROOM DOWN, BUT THE REASON WHY WE CAN HAVE SO MUCH FUN IS BECAUSE WE ARE DOING WHAT WE LOVE DOING.

>> ABSOLUTELY. LET'S GET QUESTIONS FROM AUDIENCE.

>> I HAVE A QUESTION. WE WILL COME TO YOU IN JUST A SECOND.

>> HI.

>> I WANTED TO SAY THAT I'M ENJOYING YOUR CHEMISTRY NOW AND I CAN SEE WHY YOU WORK SO WELL TOGETHER ON TV. I WANTED TO ASK, IS THERE GOING TO BE ANY NEW THINGS THAT YOU GUYS ARE GOING TO DO OUTSIDE OF SOUL TRAIN, SOMETHING MORE LONG TERM TOGETHER ON TV AGAIN?

>> BEAUTIFUL COLOR YOU ARE WEARING. YOU LOOK SO PRETTY.

>> THAT'S HOW YOU SUCK UP.

>> I LOVE THAT COLOR. I'M INTO STYLE.

>> WE JUST CREATED A PRODUCTION COMPANY CALLED TNT ENTERTAINMENT. WE WILL BE DOING THINGS BEHIND THE SCENES CREATING A LOT OF CONTENT FOR OTHER PEOPLE AS WELL AS OURSELVES.

>> WE ARE DOING A PODCAST. IT WILL BE HUGE.

>> I'M EXCITED ABOUT THAT.

>> THE WAY WE HAVE SET IT UP SO THE SPONSORS AREN'T RIDICULOUSLY TURNED OFF BY US. THE FIRST HALF WE WILL KEEP IT CLEAN. THE SECOND HALF WE WILL ANNOUNCE GET YOUR KIDS OUT THE ROOM. NOW IT'S TIME. WE LOVE BEING VULGAR. WE ARE VULGAR.

>> IT'S THE BEST.

>> I DON'T LIKE IT. IT'S IN YOUR SPIRIT.

>> I LOVE IT, TOO.

>> THE LORD IS WORKING ON MY MOUTH.

>> HE HAS BEEN WORKING ON YOU FOR YEARS.

>> ONE MORE QUESTION AND THEN WE HAVE TO WRAP IT UP.

>> HELLO. I'M AN OBSTETRICIAN. A QUESTION WOULD BE FOR THE INTERNET ERA, WHAT IS A GREAT WAY THAT YOU NETWORK?

>> OFF THE INTERNET SINCE WE LIVE IN SUCH AN INTERNET-BASED WORLD.

>> THAT IS INTERESTING BECAUSE THIS IS WHERE I'M A LITTLE OLD SCHOOL. MY MOTTO IS IT IS NICE TO BE IMPORTANT BUT MORE IMPORTANT TO BE NICE. WHATEVER IT IS YOU DO AND HOWEVER WAY YOU COMMUNICATE, JUST BE PLEASANT EVEN WHEN YOU DON'T FEEL LIKE IT. BE PLEASANT UNTIL YOU CAN'T DO IT ANYMORE.

>> THAT'S REALLY NASTY.

>> I TALK TO EVERYBODY BUT NOT IN THE BATHROOM. CAN I WASH MY HANDS? THE INTERNET IS INTERESTING. MY DAUGHTER IS A PART OF THIS NEW -- THE ONLY REASON WHY I'M ON SOCIAL MEDIA IS BECAUSE SHE PICKED UP MY PHONE AT THE AGE OF 3 AND I WAS LIKE I'M GOING TO PLAY SPONGEBOB FOR HER SO SHE WON'T CRY. THIS CHICK TOOK HER THUMB WITH ONE HAND AND WENT STRAIGHT TO YOUTUBE. I WAS PETRIFIED. I WAS LIKE WHAT AM I GOING TO DO? I HAVE TO LEARN THIS. THAT'S WHEN I WAS ON MY SPACE. I HAVE A LOT OF MY SPACE FOLLOWERS. IT WAS CRACKING. THEY KNOW WHO MY SPACE IS.

>> I'M NOT WITH YOU RIGHT NOW.

>> I'M NOT WITH IT. I LEARNED SOCIAL MEDIA. BECAUSE IT IS EVER EVOLVING --

>> BRING IT BACK.

>> CONTINUE TO LEARN YOURSELF. THAT'S AN OLD WOMAN'S SAYING. CONTINUE TO LEARN YOURSELF. LEARN HOW -- BUY BOOKS. THERE IS A GREAT BOOK THAT SOME MAN HAS OUT THAT HE SHOWS YOU HOW TO DO INSTAGRAM.

>> IT'S A MAN.

>> GOOD LUCK ON FINDING THAT.

>> HE HAS LIKE SHOWS AND ALL OF THAT.

>> SHE SAID OUTSIDE OF THE INTERNET.

>> OUTSIDE OF THE INTERNET.

>> BE NICE TO PEOPLE, JUST HOW YOU ARE TALKING TO ME. I WILL REMEMBER YOU IF YOU COME BACK UP TO ME AND SAY COULD YOU -- YOU HAVE TO BE ENGAGING.

>> YOU HAVE TO ENGAGE WITH PEOPLE. I THINK THAT IS REALLY GETTING OUT.

>> BUILD RELATIONSHIPS.

>> IT'S VERY IMPORTANT FOR US TO TALK TO YOU GUYS. THIS IS OUR FAVORITE PART OF THE DAY IS BEING ABLE TO TALK TO YOU.

>> I LOVE AOL.

>> YOU SUCK UP.

>> YOU CAN COME BACK ANYTIME.

>> I STILL HAVE AN AOL ACCOUNT. MY ACCOUNT IS THE AOL ACCOUNT.

>> SHE IS KEEPING OUR LIGHTS ON. I CAN'T REALLY ARGUE WITH THAT. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR BEING HERE. I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO SUNDAY'S AWARD SHOW SO MUCH. IT IS ON B.E.T. NOVEMBER 25.

>> 8:00 EASTERN STANDARD TIME. 7:00 CENTRAL STANDARD TIME. TISHA AND TICHINA! GIVE A BIG ROUND OF APPLAUSE. [ APPLAUSE ]

Emily Ratajkowski & Theo James

Quite the pair! 😍These two lovely actors teamed up to bring to life the new movie, "Lying & Stealing." Hear all about their experience working together and the awesome locations they filmed at.

(Photo Credit: Mike Pont /BUILD )

Chris Moukarbel & Lady Bunny

We're always overjoyed whenever a legend takes our stage! We sat down with the one and only Lady Bunny and director Chris Moukarbel to discuss the new HBO documentary, "Wig." P.S. Lady Bunny had some things to say about reality stars now! 👀

(Photo Credit: Mike Pont /BUILD )

Bella Thorne

Bella Thorne has no problem keeping it real and we applaud her for that! Don't miss this very candid and deep conversation we had with the actress, and now author, about her new book, "The Life of a Wannabe Mogul," career and life.

(Photo Credit: Noam Galai /BUILD )

Tessa Thompson & Chris Hemsworth

It's unfair how good-looking they are! 😩Find out what they had to say about teaming up again to shoot the new  "Men in Black: International." We couldn't forget our time with these two even if they used on a neuralyzer on us! 😎

(Photo Credit: Jammi York /BUILD )

Monét X Change with Gene Graham, Blaze & Fever

Oh, the tea that was spilled in this week's episode of "The X Change Rate"! Besides talking the latest in pop culture, Monét sat down with some folks behind the "This One's for The Ladies" documentary. And if you're a fan of "The Price is Right," you're in for quite the treat! 🤣🍆  (Photo Credit: Jammi York /BUILD )

Stana Katic

The Amazon Prime series, "Absentia," is back for another season! 🙌Stana Katic gave us some deets on what viewers can expect and her rewarding experience as lead and producer on the show thus far. Tune in! (Photo Credit: Jammi York /BUILD )

Julia Stiles

Sometimes wealth comes from the shadiest business as we see in Julia Stiles' great new show, "Riviera." Watch her explain how her character, Georgina, and the show has evolved from season 1 to season 2.  (Photo Credit: Jammi York /BUILD )

Sutton Foster, Miriam Shor, Molly Bernard & Peter Hermann of TV Land's "Younger" on BUILD Series

We always love having the "Younger" folks at BUILD and, honestly, we always will! 😍This time around we sat down to chat with Sutton Foster, Miriam Shor, Molly Bernard and Peter Hermann about what awaits viewers in season 6 of their hit series. (Photo Credit: Mike Pont /BUILD )

Jake Miller

Needless to say, we aren't the only ones who love Jake Miller! 💛Fans haven't been able to get enough of his latest EP, "Based On a True Story," and he's so appreciative of it. Check out our chat with the great and humble artist. (Photo Credit: Mike Pont /BUILD )

Elaine Welteroth

You are "More Than Enough" and if you don't believe it, let author and former Teen Vogue editor Elaine Welteroth convince you. Our discussion with Elaine about her book will leave you feeling empowered. Make sure to tune in! (Photo Credit: Jammi York /BUILD )

Alexandra Shipp, Jessie T. Usher, Regina Hall & Tim Story

These folks are some bad motherf...🤭We're only talking about the cast & director of "Shaft!" Hear all about the fun time Jessie T. Usher, Regina Hall, Alexandra Shipp and Tim Story had making the third installment of the popular blaxploitation film. (Photo Credit: Mike Pont /BUILD )

Carrie Preston & Niecy Nash

You know the ladies of "Claws" had to come with their nails on point! 💅Find out what awaits viewers in season 3 of the TNT drama from stars Niecy Nash and Carrie Preston. (Photo Credit: Jammi York /BUILD )

Monét X Change with RuPaul and Anthony Rapp

We kicked off the first "The X Change Rate" of Pride month with the one and only RuPaul and we put his pop trivia knowledge to the test! Monét also sat down with her "scissor sister" (insider 🤣) and "Star Trek: Discovery" star Anthony Rapp. Be sure to tune in! (Photo Credit: Jammi York /BUILD )

Jo Koy

🗣Netflix watchers be on alert cause Jo Koy is "Comin' In Hot!" ☄️We had a great time talking with the charmingly funny guy about his latest Netflix special that is sure to leave viewers cracking up. (Photo Credit: Mike Pont /BUILD )

Behati Prinsloo

She's a supermodel who not only makes time for the runway but to save rhinos; you gotta love her! Tune into our talk with Behati Prinsloo about her work with the organization, Save the Rhino Trust Namibia. 🦏 (Photo Credit: Mike Pont /BUILD )

Samira Wiley

Absolutely loved having Samira Wiley of "The Handmaid's Tale" stop by! ❤️ 🧡 💛 💚 💙 From what she's learned from her character to what she's taking away from her other hit series, "Orange Is the New Black," we had a great conversation with her.  (Photo Credit: Mike Pont /BUILD )

Sanaa Lathan

Always a pleasure having Sanaa Lathan! The lovely actress talked about her experience working on the rebooted classic sci-fi series headed by Jordan Peele, "The Twilight Zone." So do yourself a favor and replay our chat with her. 😬 (Photo Credit: Mike Pont /BUILD )

Wanda Sykes

Wanda Skyes is not normal...she's far above average with her outstanding activism, wit and comedy! She joined us to talk about her new Netflix special. Trust us, you're going to want to hear what she had to say! 😏 (Photo Credit: Noam Galai /BUILD )

Ellen Page, Alan Poul, Lauren Morelli, Charlie Barnett, Laura Linney & Zosia Mamet

Look at those smiles! 😁 These beautiful people are responsible for what's sure to be Netflix watchers' newest obsession, "Tales of the City." Hear what the cast and creators had to say about modernizing the 90s miniseries.

(Photo Credit: Noam Galai /BUILD )

Tyga

There aren't too many people that shine as bright T-Raww! 🤩Hip-hop lovers are in for quite the treat with Tyga's new album, "Legendary." Tune into to see who's featured in it.

(Photo Credit: Jammi York /BUILD )

Alycia Debnam-Carey, Colman Domingo, Danay Garcia, Austin Amelio & Jenna Elfman

They may star on a show all about death but these fine folks give us life! 🥰 Find out what zombie-infested fates await your favorite characters in the new season of the hit AMC series, "Fear the Walking Dead." 👀

(Photo Credit: Noam Galai /BUILD )

Patrick Page & Amber Gray

Put these two master actors on a stage and it's no surprise that you have a Tony-nominated musical. If you're a fan of Broadway's "Hadestown" or just stellar musicals in general, be sure to watch our chat with Patrick Page and Amber Gray. (Photo Credit: Mike Pont /BUILD )

Monét X Change & Colman Domingo

This picture is an understatement of how much fun we had with Colman Domingo on The X Change Rate! 🤑We talked Iggy Azalea leaving social media, we found out who Colman would "beat" or "eat" and so much more. Don't miss Monét being Monét! (Photo Credit: Noam Galai /BUILD )

Gabrielle Green, Ryan Alessi, Kate Godfrey, Chinguun Sergelen, Reece Caddell, Lex Lumpkin & Nathan Janak

These kids are the future and they're funny! 🤣Now although they have some big shoes to fill, they're up for the challenge! Check out how the young budding stars felt about joining the reboot of the beloved Nickelodeon sketch comedy, "All That." (Photo Credit: Michael Koehler /BUILD )

Albert Hammond Jr

Musician Albert Hammond Jr stopped by the studio to give us some details about his new single, "More to Life." Make sure to tune in to see what "Queer Eye" member sent him a super supportive video message! 👀 (Photo Credit: Jammi York /BUILD )

Kel Mitchell

90s kids rejoice...Kel Mitchell and "All That" are back! 🙌 The former star, who now co-executive produces alongside Kenan Thompson, told us all about the nostalgic and new bits in the show that will have audiences cracking up.

(Notice the orange soda on the side 😏)

(Photo Credit: Jammi York /BUILD )

DeWanda Wise

DeWanda Wise is as lovely as she is gorgeous, we promise you! 😍🤩 Find out what attracted the "She's Gotta Have It" star to the vibrant role of Nola Darling and how she approaches playing her. (Photo Credit: Mike Pont /BUILD )

Monét X Change & Logan Browning

The X Change Rate is officially open! We couldn't have had a better guest to join Monét X Change on our new show's debut than Logan Browning. Don't miss all the tea cause trust and believe there was some spilled! ☕️✌️ (Photo Credit: Jammi York /BUILD )

Logan Browning & Allison Williams

They're just perfect! 🥰 Horror fans you're in for a treat with the new Netflix Original movie, "The Perfection," starring Allison Williams and Logan Browning! Find out what makes this particular horror/thriller different than the rest. (Photo Credit: Jammi York /BUILD )

Julianna Margulies

Some people are just class acts and Julianna Margulies absolutely falls in that category! You DEFINITELY want to check out what she had to say not only about her new miniseries, "The Hot Zone," but about Trump, abortion and more. (Photo Credit: Jammi York /BUILD )

of