11.14.18

Jussie Smollett Discusses His Role In FOX's "Empire"

Golden Globe-nominated "Empire" continues to be one of the most popular and acclaimed shows on television. A powerful drama about a family dynasty set within the glamorous and sometimes dangerous world of hip-hop music, the show revolves around the Lyons and their media company, Empire Entertainment. Jussie Smollett, who plays Jamal Lyon, took to the BUILD stage to chat about the fan favorite FOX series.

View Transcript

>>> HEY, EVERYONE. WELCOME BACK TO BUILD. I’M YOUR HOST BRITTANY JONES-COOPER. GOLDEN GLOBE NOMINATED "EMPIRE” IS A POWERFUL DRAMA ABOUT A FAMILY DYNASTY SET WITHIN THE GLAMOROUS AND SOMETIMES DANGEROUS WORLD OF HIP HOP MUSIC. TODAY I'LL BE JOINED BY ACTOR JUSSIE SMOLLETT WHO PLAYS JAMAL LYON, THEIR MIDDLE SON WHOSE A TALENTED MUSICIAN TAKING LIFE ON ITS OWN TERMS.

>> MA, COME ON, WHAT PART OF PLEASE LEAVE MY ARTIST ALONE DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND.

>> IF WE DON'T SIGN HER, SOMEBODY ELSE WILL.

>> I ALREADY DID. WINTER IS MINE.

>> SO WHAT IS YOUR IS YOUR.

>> GOT ME, BUT I FEEL LIKE YOU COULD HAVE COME TO ME OUT OF RESPECT INSTEAD OF BEHIND YOUR BACK.

>> I'M RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOUR FACE IN YOUR KITCHEN. WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM?

>> I'M TIRED OF BEING CALLED BOY. I'M A GROWN MAN WITH A HOME AND A LABEL AND A LIFE. AND A FIANCE.

>> SO YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT DOING THINGS BEHIND PEOPLE'S BACK, I DIDN'T KNOW THAT HAPPENED BEHIND MY BACK.

>> YOU COULD JUSSIE SAY CON -- SAY CONGRATULATIONS. MOM, REALLY?

>> YOU'RE A PAIN IN MY ASS, THAT'S WHAT YOU ARE.

>> PUT YOUR HANDS TOGETHER FOR JUSSIE. I MEAN TARAJI IS SO, I LOVE HER SO MUCH.

>> SHE'S EVERYTHING.

>> YOU GET TO DO A LOT OF SCENES WITH HER. AND NOW SEASON FIVE.

>> THAT IS MY SISTER. I HAVE TO SAY SISTER BECAUSE I CAN'T SAY MAMA BECAUSE SHE GETS MAD, I AIN'T OLD ENOUGH TO BE YOUR MAMA. BUT YEAH, I LOVE HER WITH ALL MY HEART. SHE IS A COMPLETELY WONDERFUL PERSON BUT ALSO A REALLY -- AMAZING SCENE PARTNER.

>> AND I WANT TO TALK ABOUT THE SHOW, SEASON FIVE. LIKE WHEN YOU FIRST STARTED, COULD YOU IMAGINE THAT YOU WOULD MAKE THIS FAR AND TALK ABOUT WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT?

>> THAT RIGHT THERE, TALKING ABOUT THE STUFF THAT I CARE TO TALK ABOUT, THAT IS THE BIGGEST BLESSING OF ALL OF THIS. I'M SMILING SO HARD THIS SEASON BECAUSE I HAVEN'T BEEN THIS PROUD OF THE WORK THAT WE'RE DOING SINCE SEASON ONE. ALWAYS PROUD OF THE WORK THAT WE'RE DOING, BUT IN THIS WAY, NO. NOT SINCE SEASON ONE. AND I FEEL LIKE I COULDN'T HAVE IMAGINED AND I TRY NOT TO IMAGINE WHAT THINGS -- HOW THINGS ARE GOING TO TURN OUT AND I'VE BEEN IN THIS BUSINESS SO LONG THAT I NEVER WANT TO ASSUME THAT SOMETHING WOULD RESONATE WITH PEOPLE, YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYING. BECAUSE YOU JUSSIE DON'T KNOW. YOU GO OUT THERE, YOU DO THE BEST WORK THAT YOU CAN AND YOU HOPE THAT IT RESONATES WITH EVERYBODY THE WAY THAT IT HAS WITH YOU. BUT YOU DON'T KNOW. I'VE DONE THINGS WHERE PEOPLE WERE LIKE NAH AND OTHER THINGS THAT PEOPLE WERE LIKE WHAT? SO YOU NEVER KNOW. BUT THIS IS BEYOND MY WILDEST DREAMS.

>> IT HAS BEEN SUCH -- EVERY SEASON THE CHARACTER HAS TRANSFORMED. WHAT HAS BEEN THE BIGGEST CHANGE DO YOU THINK?

>> PROBABLY THIS SEASON. I THINK THAT AS WE GET OLDER, WE START TO SET CERTAIN BOUNDARIES, NOT JUST WITH OUR FAMILIES, BUT EVEN WITH OURSELVES. YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYING? I THINK IF YOU REALLY GO BACK TO SEASON ONE, JAMAL HAD LIKE NO BOUNDARIES FOR OTHER PEOPLE. BUT NOW HE'S BEEN AWAY FOR TWO YEARS IN LONDON. HE LOST ONE OF HIS CLOSEST FRIENDS. SO JAMAL CAME BACK A MAN. HE LEFT A MAN, BUT HE CAME BACK A GROWN ASS MAN. YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYING? SO EVEN DOWN WITH COOKIE IN -- IF YOU LOOK AT SEASON TWO WHEN WE STARTED TO KIND OF HATE JAMAL FOR A QUICK SECOND, YOU'RE LIKE UH-HUH, SURE DID. WHEN HIS IDEA OF SETTING BOUNDARIES WAS BEING DISRESPECTFUL TO HIS MAMA, YOU CAN'T DO THAT. YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYING? NOW IT IS A THING OF YOU CAN SET CERTAIN BOUNDARIES, BUT YOU MUST ALWAYS KNOW THAT IS YOUR MAMA, SHE WILL STILL SLAP YOU UP SIDE YOUR HEAD. SO IT IS -- I'M HAPPY WITH WHERE HE IS GOING WITH THE WHOLE STORY LINE OF GETTING ENGAGED AND LATER ON GETTING MARRIED. AND HIS FIANCE BEING HIV POSITIVE AND HIM BEING ON PrEP. SO MANY THINGS THAT WE ARE ABLE TO TALK ABOUT. I KNOW AS A FACT IF I WAS PLAYING ANOTHER CHARACTER I WOULDN'T HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO DO. SO I'M VERY, VERY BLESSED.

>> AND YOU SAID HE CAME BACK A MAN. HE CAME BACK IN LOVE AND I THINK THAT COMPLETELY CHANGED WHO HE WAS.

>> JAMAL THOUGHT HE WAS IN LOVE A COUPLE DIFFERENT TIMES. LIKE GABY'S CHARACTER BECKY, LAST WEEK'S EPISODE SHE IS LIKE JAMAL USED TO BE LOKY-HOKEY, BUT WE ALL DO THAT. GO THROUGH DIFFERENT EXPERIENCES, DIFFERENT SITUATIONS, DIFFERENT MEN, DIFFERENT WOMEN. THAT MAYBE ARE NOT THE RIGHT ONES. AND WHEN YOU FIND THAT RIGHT ONE, IT'S LIKE ALL RIGHT, NOW I CAN SINK MY TEETH INTO THIS.

>> AND I LOVE THEM TOGETHER. IT IS MATURE, COMMUNICATIVE, RESPONSIBLE, THEY TAKE CARE OF EACH OTHER. AND I THINK IN SO MANY DIFFERENT SHOWS YOU SEE GAY RELATIONSHIPS ARE LIKE OVERLY DRAMATIC FOR NO REASON. AND THIS IS JUST REAL LOVE BETWEEN TWO MEN.

>> I LOVE THAT YOU GOT THAT BECAUSE YOU'RE NOT A GAY MAN. THAT MEANS THAT WE'RE DOING IT RIGHT. BUT IT WAS TIME. AND IT WAS -- I FOUND MYSELF VERY FRUSTRATED TO BE HONEST WITH YOU OVER THE LAST SEASONS WITH JAMAL'S LOVE LIFE. BUT THERE WERE YEARS WHERE I FOUND MYSELF FRUSTRATED WITH MY OWN DAMN LOVE LIFE. SO WE GO THROUGH THAT AND WE COME OUT AND HOPEFULLY DO THE RIGHT THING. HOPEFULLY WE FIND THE RIGHT PERSON FOR US. AND I THINK THAT WE FOUND THE RIGHT CHARACTER FOR JAMAL TO TRULY BE IN LOVE WITH. AND WE ALSO FOUND THE RIGHT ACTOR THAT WAS FEARLESS WHO LITERALLY IS SO PHENOMENAL AS KYE AND IS BALLS TO THE WALL. AND IT IS NICE TO ACT WITH THAT.

>> AND IN ONE OF THE RECENT EPISODES WHERE HE GOES I'M A GAY BLACK MAN AND IT TOOK ME A LONG TIME TO SAY THAT. AND YOU COULD SEE IT IN HIS EYES, LIKE HE REALLY CARED ABOUT THIS CHARACTER.

>> YEAH. AND HE IS A GOOD DUDE IN REAL LIFE. HE HAS BECOME A REALLY GOOD FRIEND. AND THE WAY THAT THE STORY LINE IS GOING, I'M SO HAPPY.

>> AND I READ THAT YOU HAD TO KIND OF FIGHT TO HAVE THE STORY LINE TO HAVE HIS BOYFRIEND BE HIV POSITIVE. SO WHAT WAS THAT JOURNEY LIKE FOR YOU? BECAUSE IT DOESN'T SOUND LIKE IT WAS EASY.

>> NO, BUT IT WASN'T -- I DIDN'T HAVE TO FIGHT THIS TIME AROUND. YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYING? I'VE HAD TO FIGHT IN THE PAST. BUT THEN LOOKING BACK, I'M SO GLAD THAT IT DIDN'T HAPPEN BECAUSE IT WASN'T THE RIGHT TIME. JAMAL'S LIFE WAS ALL UP EVERYWHERE. SO WHAT CHARACTER WOULD WE POSSIBLY HAVE BROUGHT IN THAT WAS LOVEABLE, THAT WAS CERTAIN AND WAS DEFINITELY WITH JAMAL FOR NO -- WITH NO ULTERIOR MOTIVES. WE COULDN'T HAVE PRESENT THAT HAD STORY LINE WITH SOMEONE LIKE WARREN. HE WAS TRASH. AMAZING ACTOR, BUT NOT THE CHARACTERS. AND BEFORE THAT, THE CHARACTERS, LIKE THEY WEREN'T THE ONE. SO YOU JUST HAVE TO KEEP PUSHING IT, PROBABLY TO THE ANNOYANCE OF THE PRODUCERS AND WRITERS. BUT MY MISSION, ONE OF MY MISSIONS IN LIFE, IS TO NORMALIZE WHAT IT IS TO BE US. YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYING? WE'RE NOT SOME MONKEY IN A ZOO THAT YOU JUST AND BE LIKE LOOK HOW THE GAY BLACKS MOVE. NO, WE'RE HUMAN BEINGS, WE LOVE, WE HATE, WE CRY, WE LAUGH JUST LIKE ANYBODY ELSE. SO TO BRING IN SOME STORY LINE AND BRING A HUMAN FACE TO IT IS ACTUALLY REALLY DOPE. AND THEN GOING FURTHER TO MY ONE OF THE MOST BEAUTIFUL THINGS ABOUT TELLING THIS STORY IS SEEING COOKIE'S JOURNEY. BECAUSE ALL THE TIME WE SEE -- WE HAVE SEEN THE INFECTED. WE'VE SEEN THE AFFECTED IN THE RELATIONSHIP. BUT WE HAVEN'T SEEN IN A BROADER WAY HOW IT AFFECTS THE FAMILY AROUND YOU. HOW A MOTHER WILL REACT TO IT. IN THE SENSE THAT SHE SAID SO MANY IGNORANT THINGS, BUT IT WASN'T BECAUSE SHE WAS EVIL. IT IS ABOUT RECOGNIZING THE ROOT OF PEOPLE'S INTENTIONS. SHE WAS MISINFORMED.

>> AND YOU COULD SEE IN HER EYES, SHE IS LIKE GET OVER HERE, AND THAT WAS I CAN IMAGINE SO MANY MOTHERS THAT I KNOW OR AUNTS OR GRANDMOTHERS THAT I KNOW WHO AT FIRST WANT TO PROTECT THEIR LOVED ONES AND DON'T FULLY EDUCATE THEMSELVES. SO HOW IMPORTANT WAS TO PUT THE EDUCATE IN THE EPISODE, HAVING COOKIE ON THIS JOURNEY WHERE SHE IS RESEARCHING?

>> IT WAS SO IMPORTANT. AND I EVEN BROUGHT ONE OF MY MENTORS, I THINK PHIL MIGHT BE IN THE BACK, BUT HE IS THE EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR OF THE BLACK AIDS INSTITUTE. AND I'M ON THE BOARD THERE. I'VE BEEN WORKING WITH THE INSTITUTE SINCE I WAS 15. AND HE SPOKE TO THE WRITER, HE MADE SURE THAT CERTAIN THINGS WERE REAL, CERTAIN STATISTICS WERE REAL. WE HAVE BEEN PLACED IN A VERY SPECIAL POSITION TO BE ABLE TO EDUCATE AND ENTERTAIN AT THE SAME TIME. AND JAMAL, I GOT LIKE A GROUP OF COMMUNITIES ON MY SHOULDERS PLAYING THIS CHARACTER. SO YOU CAN'T IGNORE THE THINGS THAT ARE AFFECTING US. YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYING?

>> I THINK BEYOND COOKIE'S JOURNEY I THINK LUCIUS --

>> RIGHT!?!

>> YEAH, LUCIUS WITH THE GROWTH. BECAUSE YOU REMEMBER IN SEASON TWO, AND I KNOW SOME PEOPLE DIDN'T WATCH SEASON TWO --

>> IT IS STILL AVAILABLE ON HULU.

>> BUT IF YOU WATCHED SEASON TWO, SEASON TWO RIGHT BEFORE JAMAL GETS SHOT, LUCIUS SAYS YOU ARE A DISAPPOINTMENT AND THE DAY THAT YOU DIE OF AIDS IS THE DAY THAT I'M GOING TO CELEBRATE. AND I REMEMBER BEING IN OUR EXECUTIVE PRODUCER'S OFFICE, BECAUSE THIS SCENE AND IT WAS A SEASON TWO LEVEL SCENE. BUT WE WERE LIKE THIS IS NOT REAL. AND I REMEMBER -- NO DISRESPECT TO OUR WRITERS, BUT WE SAT THERE AND WE LITERALLY REWROTE THAT SCENE. AND WE WERE SAYING TO EACH OTHER WHAT IS THE WORST THING THAT FATHER OR ANY PARENT COULD TELL THEIR CHILD PARTICULARLY THEIR GAY CHILD THAT THEY HAVE HAD A PROBLEM WITH. AND TERRENCE SAID THIS AND I WAS LIKE -- THAT HURT ME TO MY CORE. AND THAT IS IT. SO FOR HIM TO SAY THAT AND THEN YEARS LATER SEASONS LATER WE SEE THAT HE IS ACTUALLY THE ONE THAT HAS JAMAL'S BACK IS PRETTY INCREDIBLE. YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYING? IT IS DOPE.

>> AND NOT ONLY HIS HAS BACK, BUT ALSO IS SORT OF LIKE HE'S GOT IT. HE TRUSTS HIS SON. AND WE KNOW THAT THEY DIDN'T REALLY GET ALONG BEFORE.

>> AND YOU ALSO KNOW IT TOOK TIME TO GET HERE. IT IS NOT SOMETHING THAT HAPPENS OVERNIGHT. YOU DON'T SNAP YOUR FINGER AND ALL OF SOMEONE'S IGNORANCE IS POOF GONE. BUT I THINK THAT AGAIN AS I GET OLDER, I TRY MY BEST TO RECOGNIZE THE ROOT OF PEOPLE'S INTENTIONS. AND IT HELPED ME WHEN MY FATHER PASSED TO HELP UNDERSTAND HIM MORE, TO UNDERSTAND WHAT HIS FEAR AND IGNORANCE WAS. AND SO PEOPLE THAT WANT TO LEARN, PEOPLE THAT WANT TO INFORM THEMSELVES AND NOT STAY IGNORANT, THAT IS WHERE WE GOT TO GO.

>> AND YOU TALK ABOUT STAYING IGNORANT. I READ A RECENT ARTICLE IN NY TIMES WHERE YOU WANT THESE STORIES TO BE MAYBE STORIES BECAUSE YOU STILL KNOW PEOPLE LOSING THEIR LIVES TO AIDS BECAUSE OF MAYBE MISINFORMATION.

>> BECAUSE OF STIGMA, BECAUSE OF DENIAL, AND THEN SO STIGMA LEADS TO DENIAL. DENIAL LEADS TO NOT BEING HONEST. AND DISHONESTY LEADS TO SHAME AND HIDING, WHICH THEN IS THE REASON WHY PEOPLE ARE NOT GOING TO GET TESTED BECAUSE THEY DON'T WANT TO KNOW. THE REASON WHY PEOPLE ARE NOT GOING ON TREATMENT BECAUSE THEY DON'T WANT TO KNOW. THERE ARE PEOPLE THAT -- PHIL WILSON MADE A GREAT POINT, WE DID DR. OZ THIS MORNING AND HE SAID THAT PEOPLE ARE GETTING -- ARE FINDING OUT THAT THEY HAVE FULL BLOWN AIDS WITHOUT EVER FINDING OUT THAT THEY HAD THE VIRUS BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT GETTING TESTED AND NOT GETTING ON TREATMENT. SO YOU ARE GETTING SICK AND I PROMISE YOU IN 2018, 2019, WE DON'T HAVE TO STILL BE GETTING SICK. WE DON'T IF WE DO THE WORK, IF WE EDUCATE OURSELVES. THIS IS NOT A GAY ISSUE OR A BLACK ISSUE. THIS IS SOMETHING PEOPLE LIKE TO PUT IT INTO BOXES. BUT THEN PEOPLE WHO FEEL LIKE THEY AREN'T AFFECTED DON'T PAY ATTENTION AND THEY END UP DYING. AND IT IS LIKE WE'RE DOING -- I DON'T KNOW. I FEEL LIKE IT IS TOO FAR ALONG IN THE GAME TO STILL BE BURYING PEOPLE DUE TO THIS.

>> I AGREE COMPLETELY. SNAP, SNAP, SNAP. FOR YOU AS A GAY MAN, DO YOU UNDERSTAND THE IMPACT YOU'RE HAVING? DO YOU REMEMBER SEEING ANY GAY MEN ON TV GROWING UP OR DO YOU UNDERSTAND THE ROLE YOU'RE PLAYING AND THE IMPORTANCE IT HAS IN OUR CULTURE?

>> THANK YOU. BUT I REMEMBER THE FIRST CHARACTER THAT I EVER SAW THAT REMOTELY RESEMBLED ME WAS WILSON CRUZ IN MY SO CALLED LIFE. BUT BEFORE THAT, NO. I LOVE ELTON JOHN AS A MUSICIAN. BUT I DIDN'T LOOK AT ELTON JOHN AND BE LIKE YES, I CAN IDENTIFY WITH THAT. I'M SURE THAT HIS STORY IS BEAUTIFUL, BUT IT MIGHT BE A LITTLE DIFFERENT THAN MINE. GEORGE MICHAEL, LOVE GEORGE MICHAEL, BUT THERE WASN'T ANYBODY FOR ME TO -- I KNOW AS A FACT AND I SAY THIS WITH ALL THE HUMILITY IN MY HEART THAT WHEN I WAS GROWING UP IF I HAD A JAMAL LYON TO LOOK AT, I KNOW MY UNDERSTANDING WOULD HAVE BEEN MUCH DIFFERENT AND WOULD HAVE HAPPENED MUCH SOONER THAN IT DID. SO I TRY MY BEST TO DO WHAT I DO AND FILL A VOID -- FILL THE VOID BECAUSE THERE IS A VOID. I DON'T DO IT FOR THE CREDIT. IT IS FOR THE ART AND FOR LIKE THE LITTLE KIDS THAT ARE OUT THERE BEING MISREPRESENTED. THERE IS NOT A DAY THAT I DON'T GO ON TWITTER AND BE LIKE TOLD DIE BLACK FAG OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT. NOT A DAY THAT GOES BY. AND IT STILL HITS ME. BUT I'M STRONG AND I'M COMPLETELY GROUNDED IN WHO I AM. LIKE I'M LIKE OKAY, IT HITS ME AND THEN I'M LIKE OKAY, MUTING YOU, NOT EVEN GOING TO BLOCK YOU BECAUSE I DON'T WANT YOU TO KNOW THAT YOU WERE THAT IMPORTANCE. YOU'LL JUSSIE -- JUST BE MUTED. BUT IT STILL BOTHERS ME. SO IF IT BOTHERS ME A GROWN ASS MAN IN MY 30s WHO IS FIRMLY ROOTED WHO MAKES HIS OWN MONEY, DOES HIS OWN THING, FAMILY LOVES HIM, GOT A BOO, ALL GOOD, BUT WHAT DOES IT DO TO THE 8-YEAR-OLD LITTLE BOY THAT IS CALLED A BLACK FAG IN SCHOOL, FOR THE LITTLE GIRL THAT IS CALLED A DIKE OR WHATEVER MIGHT BE CALLED AT 12 OR 13. SO IF IT IS AFFECTING ME, IT IS DAMN SURE AFFECTING THEM AND THAT IS WHY WE DO WHAT WE DO. ANYTHING ELSE IS GRAVY.

>> AND THE SHOW HAS BEEN A SPRING BOARD FOR YOUR MUSIC TOO. SO WHERE ARE WE AT WITH THAT? YOU RELEASED YOUR ALBUM THIS YEAR AND THE PROCEEDS WENT TO THE BLACK AIDS INSTITUTE. SO YOU CAN MIX ART WITH YOUR ACTIVISM.

>> IT'S DOPE. I RELEASED MY DEBUT ALBUM A COUPLE MONTHS AGO. I WENT ON A TOUR. WE WENT TO FOUR CONTINENTS, SEVEN COUNTRIES AND 40 DIFFERENT CITIES. AND I DONATED EVERY SINGLE CENT OF THE PROCEEDS OF THE TICKET SALES TO CHARITY. SO WE WERE ABLE TO DONATE WELL OVER $125,000 TO CHARITY. AND THAT IS BECAUSE PEOPLE SHOWED UP AND SHOWED OUT. SO I'M DEFINITELY -- I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING EXCEPT THAT. AGAIN LIKE I DON'T TALK ABOUT IT, LIKE I DON'T POST ABOUT IT, I DON'T SAY AHEAD OF TIME LIKE OH, AND TICKET SALES WILL GO TO XYZ. IT WENT TO EIGHT DIFFERENT CHARITIES ACTUALLY. IT WAS SEVEN ACTUALLY. AND I'M BLESSED TO BE ABLE TO DO THAT. IT WASN'T FOR ANYTHING EXCEPT TO DO IT. LIKE THAT IS MY TITHE. SOME PEOPLE GO TO CHURCH AND IT IS BEAUTIFUL. I GO TO CHURCH TOO, BUT MY TITHE IS GIVING TO THE PEOPLE. THAT IS JUST WHAT WE DO.

>> AND ACTIVISM IS PART OF YOUR WHOLE FAMILY. THAT IS IN YOU AND THAT IS WHY IT FEELS SO GENUINE AND AUTHENTIC.

>> YEAH, MY MOM GREW UP AND HER MAIN MENTOR WHO IS LIKE ONE OF MY GODMOTHERS IS ANGELA DAVIS. SO WE GREW UP IN THESE -- IN THIS FAMILY WHERE IT WAS LIKE NAH, YOU AIN'T GOT NO CHOICE BUT TO DO SOMETHING FOR OTHER PEOPLE.

>> I LIKE TO THINK THAT THAT ACTIVISM IS MORE AND MORE INGRAINED IN PEOPLE. I SEE IT A LITTLE MORE AND MORE AND I'M HOPING IT IS NOT A RARITY.

>> NO, WE ARE IN THE MIDDLE OF A RENAISSANCE. AS PEOPLE OF COLOR, WE DON'T WANT TO BE THE ONLY ONES SITTING AT THE TABLE. WE WANT TO SHARE WITH OUR SISTERS AND OUR BROTHERS. YOU SEE ALL THESE SO-CALLED MINORITIES, WHATEVER THAT MEANS, YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYING, WHICH I ALWAYS SAY WE AS THE SO-CALLED DISENFRANCHISED OR THE MARGINALIZED, WHETHER DUE TO OUR RACE, CULTURE, GENDER, SEXUALITY, RELIGION, SO-CALLED DISABILITY, WHATEVER THAT MAY BE, IF WE ALL JOIN TOGETHER WHICH I'M STARTING TO SEE, IF WE ALL JOIN TOGETHER, WE WOULD BE A MAJORITY THAT IS UNSTOPPABLE. BECAUSE YOU AT THE END OF THE DAY, WHO IS THE MAJORITY? A BUNCH OF OLD WHITE DUDES WHO SAID YOU'RE FROM AUSTRIA, YOU'RE FROM ENGLAND, YOU'RE FROM IRELAND, LET'S CALL OURSELVES WHITES. BUT IF YOU BREAK THAT DOWN AND YOU SEPARATE THEM, AIN'T NOBODY THE MAJORITY. THAT IS WHAT WE NEED MORE OF, MORE LOVE.

>> I AGREE. LET'S GO TO THE AUDIENCE BECAUSE I KNOW WE HAVE A COUPLE QUESTIONS FOR YOU. WHO DO WE HAVE FIRST?

>> HEY, DO YOU FEEL LIKE IN SOME WAYS YOUR PERSONAL LIFE IS PARALLEL TO THE LIFE OF JAMAL?

>> NO. I THINK A LOT OF Y'ALL THINK THAT. BUT NO. OUR HEARTS ARE THE SAME, YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYING? I THINK THAT JAMAL WAS A CHARACTER WITH ONE SCRIPT BEFORE I BECAME HIM. SO I DO THINK THAT IS SOME OF WHO WE ALL ARE. OBVIOUSLY FOR INSTANCE TARAJI BROUGHT HER WHOLE SELF TO COOKIE, BUT SHE'S NOT COOKIE. IT IS A PIECE OF WHO SHE IS. JAMAL IS A PIECE OF WHO I AM, BUT HE IS NOT ME. I'VE HAD TO WORK FOR EVERY SINGLE THING THAT I HAVE AND JAMAL, SORRY, YOU WAS BORN INTO SOME MONEY SITUATION. YOU WASN'T RICH ALWAYS. BUT YOUR DADDY IS LUCIUS LYON. MY DADDY WORKED IN THE MANHOLES AND WORKED EVERY DAY, GOT UP AT 4:00 IN THE MORNING AND WORKED EVERY DAY, THE DRIVE AND THE WORK ETHIC THAT I HAVE, I LEARNED FROM MY PARENTS. BECAUSE WE DIDN'T HAVE ANYTHING. IT IS FUNNY NOW BECAUSE NOW I SEE LIKE DEFINITELY PEOPLE SEE MY LIFE AND THERE ARE CERTAIN THINGS THAT ARE TAKEN -- THE RELATIONSHIPS AND ALL OF THIS TYPE OF STUFF ARE TAKEN -- I'VE BEEN WITH MY DUDE FOR TWO YEARS, YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYING. BUT THERE ARE CERTAIN PARALLELS, BUT WE ARE CERTAINLY NOT THE SAME. CERTAINLY NOT THE SAME.

>> NEXT QUESTION.

>> HI, IS THERE ANOTHER MESSAGE OR STORY LINE THAT YOU ARE LOOKING TO BRING TO THE SHOW?

>> THAT IS A REALLY GOOD QUESTION. YES. YES. THAT IS ALL I WILL SAY BECAUSE I DON'T WANT TO SAY OUT LOUD AND THEY DID END UP YOU SAID IT, NOW WE CAN'T DO IT. FOR INSTANCE THE HIV STORY LINE, I NEVER REALLY TALKED ABOUT HOW BADLY I WANTED TO DO THAT ONE. I WOULD TALK ABOUT OTHER THINGS LIKE I WANT JANET JACKSON ON THE SHOW. BUT THAT IS DOABLE AND THAT IS NOT SOMETHING THAT I HAVE TO LIKE WATCH OUT FOR FOR THEM TO BE LIKE NOW WE CAN'T SAY IT. SO, YES, YEAH -- WELL, I CAN SAY THIS. I REALLY THINK THAT -- I'LL LEAVE IT AT THAT. YES.

>> I'M LIKE COME ON, COME ON. YOU MENTIONED JANET. YOU GUYS HAVE HAD EVERYBODY UNDER THE SUN, BUT ARE THERE ANY ARTISTS THAT YOU REALLY WANT TO SEE ON THE SHOW? MARIO IS KILLING IT RIGHT NOW.

>> MARIO IS KILLING IT RIGHT NOW. BUT MARIO, THE REASON WHY I LOVE HIM BEING ON IS THAT MARIO IS OBVIOUSLY AN INCREDIBLE VOCALIST, BUT HE IS ALSO AN ACTOR. HE HAS A REAL STORY LINE. HE IS NOT COMING ON JUST AS MARIO. HE IS KILLING IT WITH THE MUSIC, BUT HE IS ALSO A REAL ACTOR. SO THAT IS WHY HE WAS BROUGHT ON. I WOULD LOVE OBVIOUSLY FOR JANET JACKSON TO COME OR. AND I'D LOVE FOR USHER OR MAXWELL TO COME ON. IF MAXWELL CAME ON, LIKE YEAH. I WANT THAT DUET, MAN. THAT IS ALL. BUT WITH THAT SAID, I STAY AWAY FROM TALKING TOO MUCH NOW ABOUT THE GUEST STARS BECAUSE WHEN WE FIRST STARTED, WE WERE THE LITTLE TRAIN THAT COULD. AND NOBODY WAS CHECKING FOR US. AND THEN WHEN WE BECAME A HIT, EVERYBODY'S MANAGERS WERE CALLING. IT IS LIKE THROWING A PARTY WHERE YOU AIN'T GOT NO FRIENDS AND AIN'T NOBODY COMING AND THEN THEY START REALIZING THAT YOUR PARTY'S POPPING AND EVERYBODY COMES AND YOU'RE LIKE MY DAMN HOUSE CAN'T HOLD THEM ALL. AND THAT IS WHAT HAPPENED IN SEASON TWO. LUDACRIS SHOULD HAVE BEEN ON THE SHOW, BUT WE DIDN'T WANT TO GET WRAPPED UP AND THE SECOND THAT WE -- THE TIMES THAT WE HAVE FAILED THE FANS AND FAILED THE VIEWERS AND FAILED ME AS A FAN OF THE SHOW IS WHEN WE GET AWAY FROM THE FAMILY, IS WHEN WE GET AWAY FROM THE HEART OF THE SHOW. IT IS A MUSICAL SHOW. IT IS A SHOW ABOUT CELEBRITY, IT IS A SHOW ABOUT POP CULTURE. BUT THAT IS THE BACKDROP. THE SHOW IS ABOUT A FAMILY TRYING TO MAKE IT WORK AND -- AND THE SECOND THAT WE GOT BACK TO THAT, THAT IS WHEN WE WENT, PERIOD. BUT JANET JACKSON, MAXWELL AND USHER CAN STILL COME ON THE SHOW ANYTIME.

>> LAST QUESTION.

>> MY QUESTION IS HOW IMPORTANT WAS IT FOR YOU TO DIRECT LAST WEEK'S EPISODE AND HOW HAVE YOU IMPROVED FROM YOUR FIRST DIRECTING DEBUT TO NOW.

>> I LOVE ANDRE. IT WAS ALWAYS IMPORTANT, TO ME IT IS ALWAYS IMPORTANT TO PLANT SEEDS AND NOT DO ONE THING. I CAN EASILY GET CREATIVE BLUE BALLS WHERE I'M LIKE SORRY, THIS IS --

>> NO, THAT WAS ACTUALLY REALLY RELATABLE. I GET IT.

>> I FEEL LIKE YOU ALL UNDERSTAND WHAT I'M SAYING. WHERE I'M GRATEFUL, I'M HAPPY, I'M EXCITED, BUT I'M NO LONGER BEING FED BECAUSE I'M DO POSITION THE SAME THING OVER AND OVER. SO YOU GOT TO SHAKE IT UP SOMETIMES. AND ALSO PLANTING SEEDS, "EMPIRE'S" NOT GOING TO BE HERE FOREVER. SO I CAN'T BE LIKE I'M GOING TO SING \M\M LIKE NO, I GOT TO DO MORE. I HAVE TO FEED MY CREATIVE SOUL OR ELSE IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE. BUT THAT IS WHY I'VE DIRECTED ALL OF MY MUSIC VIDEOS FOR MY ALBUM. WE WENT EVERYWHERE FROM L.A. TO MIAMI TO SOUTH AFRICA TO DO THE VIDEO FOR "HER PEOPLE.” THIS WILL BE THE FIRST VIDEO THAT I'M NOT DOING -- WE'RE ABOUT TO DO THE VIDEO FOR HA-HA I LOVE YOU, AND MARIO VAN PEOPLE IS GOING TO DIRECT IT. BUT YEAH, DIRECTING IS IMPORTANT TO ME BECAUSE BEING ABLE TO CREATE IN EVERY SINGLE WAY POSSIBLE, THAT'S WHAT WE'RE SUPPOSED TO DO.

>> AND SO YOU ARE MULTITALENTED. IT WAS SO BEAUTIFUL. I LOVE TALKING TO YOU AND I LOVE YOUR ACTIVISM AND ACTING AND SINGING. MAKE SURE YOU WATCH HIM ON "EMPIRE.” 8/7c THURSDAYS ON FOX --

>> DID YOU SAY THURSDAY? IT IS WEDNESDAY.

>> WEDNESDAY! WEDNESDAY! WEDNESDAY! WEDNESDAY ON FOX.

>> DON'T BE SHOWING UP ON THURSDAY, THIS AIN'T LONDON. BUT IF YOU ARE IN THE UK, WE ARE ON THURSDAYS.

>> LET'S TRY THAT AGAIN, 8:00, 7:00 CENTRAL WEDNESDAYS ON FOX. GIVE IT UP FOR JUSSIE.

Emily Ratajkowski & Theo James

Quite the pair! 😍These two lovely actors teamed up to bring to life the new movie, "Lying & Stealing." Hear all about their experience working together and the awesome locations they filmed at.

(Photo Credit: Mike Pont /BUILD )

Chris Moukarbel & Lady Bunny

We're always overjoyed whenever a legend takes our stage! We sat down with the one and only Lady Bunny and director Chris Moukarbel to discuss the new HBO documentary, "Wig." P.S. Lady Bunny had some things to say about reality stars now! 👀

(Photo Credit: Mike Pont /BUILD )

Bella Thorne

Bella Thorne has no problem keeping it real and we applaud her for that! Don't miss this very candid and deep conversation we had with the actress, and now author, about her new book, "The Life of a Wannabe Mogul," career and life.

(Photo Credit: Noam Galai /BUILD )

Tessa Thompson & Chris Hemsworth

It's unfair how good-looking they are! 😩Find out what they had to say about teaming up again to shoot the new  "Men in Black: International." We couldn't forget our time with these two even if they used on a neuralyzer on us! 😎

(Photo Credit: Jammi York /BUILD )

Monét X Change with Gene Graham, Blaze & Fever

Oh, the tea that was spilled in this week's episode of "The X Change Rate"! Besides talking the latest in pop culture, Monét sat down with some folks behind the "This One's for The Ladies" documentary. And if you're a fan of "The Price is Right," you're in for quite the treat! 🤣🍆  (Photo Credit: Jammi York /BUILD )

Stana Katic

The Amazon Prime series, "Absentia," is back for another season! 🙌Stana Katic gave us some deets on what viewers can expect and her rewarding experience as lead and producer on the show thus far. Tune in! (Photo Credit: Jammi York /BUILD )

Julia Stiles

Sometimes wealth comes from the shadiest business as we see in Julia Stiles' great new show, "Riviera." Watch her explain how her character, Georgina, and the show has evolved from season 1 to season 2.  (Photo Credit: Jammi York /BUILD )

Sutton Foster, Miriam Shor, Molly Bernard & Peter Hermann of TV Land's "Younger" on BUILD Series

We always love having the "Younger" folks at BUILD and, honestly, we always will! 😍This time around we sat down to chat with Sutton Foster, Miriam Shor, Molly Bernard and Peter Hermann about what awaits viewers in season 6 of their hit series. (Photo Credit: Mike Pont /BUILD )

Jake Miller

Needless to say, we aren't the only ones who love Jake Miller! 💛Fans haven't been able to get enough of his latest EP, "Based On a True Story," and he's so appreciative of it. Check out our chat with the great and humble artist. (Photo Credit: Mike Pont /BUILD )

Elaine Welteroth

You are "More Than Enough" and if you don't believe it, let author and former Teen Vogue editor Elaine Welteroth convince you. Our discussion with Elaine about her book will leave you feeling empowered. Make sure to tune in! (Photo Credit: Jammi York /BUILD )

Alexandra Shipp, Jessie T. Usher, Regina Hall & Tim Story

These folks are some bad motherf...🤭We're only talking about the cast & director of "Shaft!" Hear all about the fun time Jessie T. Usher, Regina Hall, Alexandra Shipp and Tim Story had making the third installment of the popular blaxploitation film. (Photo Credit: Mike Pont /BUILD )

Carrie Preston & Niecy Nash

You know the ladies of "Claws" had to come with their nails on point! 💅Find out what awaits viewers in season 3 of the TNT drama from stars Niecy Nash and Carrie Preston. (Photo Credit: Jammi York /BUILD )

Monét X Change with RuPaul and Anthony Rapp

We kicked off the first "The X Change Rate" of Pride month with the one and only RuPaul and we put his pop trivia knowledge to the test! Monét also sat down with her "scissor sister" (insider 🤣) and "Star Trek: Discovery" star Anthony Rapp. Be sure to tune in! (Photo Credit: Jammi York /BUILD )

Jo Koy

🗣Netflix watchers be on alert cause Jo Koy is "Comin' In Hot!" ☄️We had a great time talking with the charmingly funny guy about his latest Netflix special that is sure to leave viewers cracking up. (Photo Credit: Mike Pont /BUILD )

Behati Prinsloo

She's a supermodel who not only makes time for the runway but to save rhinos; you gotta love her! Tune into our talk with Behati Prinsloo about her work with the organization, Save the Rhino Trust Namibia. 🦏 (Photo Credit: Mike Pont /BUILD )

Samira Wiley

Absolutely loved having Samira Wiley of "The Handmaid's Tale" stop by! ❤️ 🧡 💛 💚 💙 From what she's learned from her character to what she's taking away from her other hit series, "Orange Is the New Black," we had a great conversation with her.  (Photo Credit: Mike Pont /BUILD )

Sanaa Lathan

Always a pleasure having Sanaa Lathan! The lovely actress talked about her experience working on the rebooted classic sci-fi series headed by Jordan Peele, "The Twilight Zone." So do yourself a favor and replay our chat with her. 😬 (Photo Credit: Mike Pont /BUILD )

Wanda Sykes

Wanda Skyes is not normal...she's far above average with her outstanding activism, wit and comedy! She joined us to talk about her new Netflix special. Trust us, you're going to want to hear what she had to say! 😏 (Photo Credit: Noam Galai /BUILD )

Ellen Page, Alan Poul, Lauren Morelli, Charlie Barnett, Laura Linney & Zosia Mamet

Look at those smiles! 😁 These beautiful people are responsible for what's sure to be Netflix watchers' newest obsession, "Tales of the City." Hear what the cast and creators had to say about modernizing the 90s miniseries.

(Photo Credit: Noam Galai /BUILD )

Tyga

There aren't too many people that shine as bright T-Raww! 🤩Hip-hop lovers are in for quite the treat with Tyga's new album, "Legendary." Tune into to see who's featured in it.

(Photo Credit: Jammi York /BUILD )

Alycia Debnam-Carey, Colman Domingo, Danay Garcia, Austin Amelio & Jenna Elfman

They may star on a show all about death but these fine folks give us life! 🥰 Find out what zombie-infested fates await your favorite characters in the new season of the hit AMC series, "Fear the Walking Dead." 👀

(Photo Credit: Noam Galai /BUILD )

Patrick Page & Amber Gray

Put these two master actors on a stage and it's no surprise that you have a Tony-nominated musical. If you're a fan of Broadway's "Hadestown" or just stellar musicals in general, be sure to watch our chat with Patrick Page and Amber Gray. (Photo Credit: Mike Pont /BUILD )

Monét X Change & Colman Domingo

This picture is an understatement of how much fun we had with Colman Domingo on The X Change Rate! 🤑We talked Iggy Azalea leaving social media, we found out who Colman would "beat" or "eat" and so much more. Don't miss Monét being Monét! (Photo Credit: Noam Galai /BUILD )

Gabrielle Green, Ryan Alessi, Kate Godfrey, Chinguun Sergelen, Reece Caddell, Lex Lumpkin & Nathan Janak

These kids are the future and they're funny! 🤣Now although they have some big shoes to fill, they're up for the challenge! Check out how the young budding stars felt about joining the reboot of the beloved Nickelodeon sketch comedy, "All That." (Photo Credit: Michael Koehler /BUILD )

Albert Hammond Jr

Musician Albert Hammond Jr stopped by the studio to give us some details about his new single, "More to Life." Make sure to tune in to see what "Queer Eye" member sent him a super supportive video message! 👀 (Photo Credit: Jammi York /BUILD )

Kel Mitchell

90s kids rejoice...Kel Mitchell and "All That" are back! 🙌 The former star, who now co-executive produces alongside Kenan Thompson, told us all about the nostalgic and new bits in the show that will have audiences cracking up.

(Notice the orange soda on the side 😏)

(Photo Credit: Jammi York /BUILD )

DeWanda Wise

DeWanda Wise is as lovely as she is gorgeous, we promise you! 😍🤩 Find out what attracted the "She's Gotta Have It" star to the vibrant role of Nola Darling and how she approaches playing her. (Photo Credit: Mike Pont /BUILD )

Monét X Change & Logan Browning

The X Change Rate is officially open! We couldn't have had a better guest to join Monét X Change on our new show's debut than Logan Browning. Don't miss all the tea cause trust and believe there was some spilled! ☕️✌️ (Photo Credit: Jammi York /BUILD )

Logan Browning & Allison Williams

They're just perfect! 🥰 Horror fans you're in for a treat with the new Netflix Original movie, "The Perfection," starring Allison Williams and Logan Browning! Find out what makes this particular horror/thriller different than the rest. (Photo Credit: Jammi York /BUILD )

Julianna Margulies

Some people are just class acts and Julianna Margulies absolutely falls in that category! You DEFINITELY want to check out what she had to say not only about her new miniseries, "The Hot Zone," but about Trump, abortion and more. (Photo Credit: Jammi York /BUILD )

of