11.13.18

Justine Skye Talks Her Latest Single, "Build"

Genuine confidence comes from turning flaws into strengths, owning yourself, and opening up without fear. In 2018, Justine Skye chose not to hold back anymore. The critically acclaimed R&B songstress made a quiet resolution to pull no punches when it came to her music, lyrics and vision. Channeling the no-holds-barred honesty of throwback R&B and spinning catchy and confessional stories, she allows listeners closer than ever before. Her single, "Build," as well as her forthcoming EP, "Fall For It," represent the artist at the apex of her self-confidence and charisma.

View Transcript

>>> HEY, EVERYONE. THANK YOU. WELCOME BACK TO BUILD. I'M BRITTANY JONES COOPER. AND TODAY I'M SITTING DOWN WITH JUSTINE SKYE. SHE RELEASED HER FIRST ALBUM IN JANUARY AND QUICKLY FOLLOWED THAT UP BY ONE OF MY FAVORITE SONGS. AND TODAY SHE IS HERE IT TALK ABOUT HER NEW MUSIC AND HER LATEST SINGLE "BUILD". LET'S TAKE A LOOK. \M\M \M IF I COULD BUILD, LIKE REALLY BUILD, BUILD A LITTLE BIT BETTER THAN YOU, IF I COULD BUILD A MAN, LIKE REALLY BUILD A MAN, HE'D BE SMART ENOUGH TO READ MY MIND \M \M AND I COULD WISH YOU WOULD CHANGE, BUT THAT WON'T SHAKE THE PAIN THAT IS THERE IN MY HEART \M \M \M \M SHOW ME WHO YOU ARE, IF I COULD BUILD, LIKE REALLY BUILD, HE'D PROBABLY MAKE A LITTLE MORE THAN ME, MAYBE BE HIMSELF BIGGER, BUT SINCE I CAN'T BUILD A MAN \M \M I MUST WORK ON WHO I AM, AND IT IS ALL MY TIME ON ME \M \M I WISH YOU WOULD CHANGE, BUT THAT WON'T CHANGE THE PAIN THAT IS THERE WITHIN MY HEART \M \M IT IS NOT THE SAGE, GLAD YOU'VE SHOWN ME WHO YOU ARE \M \M \M \M\M \M\M \M\M \M\M \M\M

>> PUT YOUR HANDS TOGETHER FOR JUSTINE SKYE.

>> HI, EVERYONE.

>> FIRST OF ALL, HOW ARE YOU TODAY?

>> I'M ACTUALLY REALLY GOOD TODAY. I'M HAVING A GREAT DAY.

>> GOOD. EVEN THOUGH IT IS SO DARK OUTSIDE, LIKE 5:00.

>> I KNOW, BUT IT IS RAINING, COLD, BUT HAPPY TO BE HERE WITH ALL OF YOU GUYS. THIS IS AWESOME.

>> AND I'M SURE YOU ARE HAPPY TO TALK ABOUT A PROJECT THAT IS SO NEAR AND DEAR TO YOU. WE JUST SAW THE VIDEO. TELL ME THE INSPIRATION BUILDING WRITE "BUILD".

>> THE SONG WAS ACTUALLY WRITTEN BEFORE I WAS IN A SESSION WITH THE RASCALS WHO PRODUCED THIS RECORD. AND THEY WERE LIKE GETTING TO KNOW ME AND WE WERE JUST TALKING. WE WERE WRITING. AND WE ALSO HAVE OTHER AMAZING SONGS THAT YOU WILL HEAR ON THE PROJECT. BUT AFTER LIKE GETTING TO KNOW ME FOR A WHILE, HE WAS LIKE HEY, I HAVE THIS SONG I THINK YOU SHOULD HEAR IT. LIKE AFTER HEARING ME RANT. HE WAS LIKE I THINK YOU SHOULD HEAR THIS. AND I HEARD IT AND I INSTANTLY FELL IN LOVE WITH IT. SO I CAN CUT THE SONG RIGHT NOW? AND HE WAS LIKE YEAH. SURE. BUT THEN IT TOOK LIKE A WHILE AND ACTUALLY -- HE WAS LIKE NO, I WANT YOU TO LIVE WITH IT, LIKE I REALLY WANT YOU TO UNDERSTAND AND MAKE SURE THAT LIKE YOU LOVE THIS SONG. BECAUSE THIS SONG IS SPECIAL TO ME SO I WANT TO MAKE SURE THAT IT WAS SPECIAL TO YOU AS WELL. SO I LIVED WITH IT. AND THE MORE I LISTENED TO IT, THE MORE I JUST FELT CONNECTED TO IT. AND THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT MUSIC DOES. AND YEAH, AARON RAY WAS HAVING A SESSION WITH THEM AND BASICALLY I JUST LIKE INVADED THE SESSION. I WAS LIKE BECAUSE I'M READY NOW. AND I WAS LIKE HOW ABOUT YOU JUST GET ON THIS, AARON. AND HE WAS LIKE SURE. HE IS SO CHILL. LIKE YEAH, SURE, WHY NOT. BECAUSE WE WERE TALKING ABOUT RELATIONSHIPS AND CHEATING AND ALL OF IT. AND I WAS LIKE WHY DON'T YOU PUT THAT IN THE SONG.

>> SO DID THAT KIND OF HAPPEN LIKE ON ACCIDENT?

>> YEAH. IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE ME BY MYSELF AND AARON IS A NEW ARTIST AS WELL TOO AND I FEEL LIKE PEOPLE SHOULD KNOW MORE ABOUT HIS MUSIC. HE IS AWESOME. AND SO I WAS LIKE WHY DON'T YOU GET ON THIS.

>> A I -- AND I LOVE HAVING THE MALE VOICE IN THERE BECAUSE HE IS LIKE SAYING IF YOU COULD BUILD ME, BECAUSE I'M LIKE HUMAN. AND DO YOU THINK IT HELPED DRIVE HOME THAT POINT? ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU SEE THE VIDEO.

>> ACTUALLY THE VIDEO AND THE CONCEPT OF THE VIDEO WASN'T ALWAYS LIKE THERE. IT WASN'T ALWAYS THERE.

>> HOW DID THAT COME ABOUT?

>> WELL, I WENT THROUGH IT. AND I JUST FELT LIKE INSTEAD OF LIKE LETTING IT BUILD UP INSTEAD OF ME, IT WAS SOMETHING THAT I NEEDED TO SHARE AND SO IT WAS THERAPEUTIC FOR ME AND HELPED ME A LOT IN A WAY. JUST LIKE EXPRESSING THAT, GETTING THIS WEIGHT OFF MY CHEST. OR LIKE WALKING AROUND WITH THIS LIKE SECRET THAT WAS LIKE ONLY I KNEW. A COUPLE OTHER PEOPLE. AND I FELT LIKE IT WAS IMPORTANT TO EXPRESS THAT BECAUSE THERE ARE A LOT OF WOMEN OUT THERE THAT ARE GOING THROUGH THE SAME THING. A LOT OF WOMEN THAT WERE IN MY LIFE THAT I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW WERE GOING THROUGH IT, BUT BECAUSE I CAME OUT ABOUT IT, THEY SHARED THEIR STORIES WITH ME AND THANKED ME FOR BEING BRAVE ENOUGH.

>> AND WHAT WAS YOUR SORT OF FINAL POINT WHERE YOU COULD GO TO YOUR TEAM AND SAY I FEEL LIKE THIS COULD BE A GOOD CONCEPT, WANTING TO TELL YOUR STORY?

>> I GUESS IT WAS JUST LIKE I WASN'T WANTED TO TALK ABOUT IT, BUT I DIDN'T KNOW HOW. BECAUSE IT WAS LIKE EATING ME ALIVE. IT WAS REALLY LIKE A REALLY DARK POINT IN MY LIFE. AND I FELT LIKE I NEEDED TO PUT MY FOCUS ON SOMETHING. AND SO I DIDN'T REALLY CARE WHAT ANYONE LIKE THOUGHT BECAUSE A LOT OF PEOPLE ARE JUST LIKE WE DON'T WANT YOU TO BE LIKE THAT GIRL. AND I DON'T THINK THAT I WILL BE THAT GIRL. THIS ISN'T SOMETHING THAT WILL DEFINE ME FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE. IT IS JUST A PART OF MY STORY. AND I'M NOT ASHAMED TO SHARE OR LIKE HIDE ANY ASPECT OF ME. LIKE IF YOU REALLY KNOW ME, I'M LIKE AN OPEN BOOK. MAYBE A BIT TOO OPEN. AND SOME OF MY FRIENDS SAY IT IS A GREAT THING BUT SCARY AT THE SAME TIME. BECAUSE THEY SAY YOU TRUST PEOPLE WAY TOO MUCH. AND I'M LIKE I DIDN'T THINK THAT THEY WOULD GO AROUND TELLING MY BUSINESSLIKE THAT. BUT WHATEVER. I DON'T WANT TO LIVE MY LIFE LIKE WITH SOMETHING TO HIDE.

>> I THINK YOU HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD WHEN YOU SAID YOU WHEN YOU SHARED YOUR STORY, MORE AND MORE WOMEN IN YOUR LIFE STARTED SHARING THEIR LIFE. AND 24 PEOPLE A MINUTE I THINK ARE VICTIMS OF SOME SORT OF ABUSE. AND YOU SHOW THE DIFFERENT SCENARIOS THAT WOMEN ARE GOING THROUGH. HOW DID YOU DECIDE WHAT STORIES TO HIGHLIGHT?

>> WELL, I WANTED THE VIDEO TO BE REPRESENTATIVE OF WHAT I WENT THROUGH. AND I CHOSE TO HAVE THE SAME GUY AND DIFFERENT WOMEN BECAUSE A LOT OF THE TIMES YOU FEEL LIKE EVEN -- SOME WOMEN KNOW A GUY HAS PUT THEIR HANDS ON SOMEONE IN THE PAST BUT THEY WON'T BELIEVE THAT IT WILL HAPPEN TO THEM, WHICH I'M GUILTY OF THAT. AND I WAS JUST LIKE I DON'T THINK I WOULD EVER DO ANYTHING. WHAT WOULD I DO? I WOULDN'T DO ANYTHING. NO GUY WOULD EVER PUT THEIR HANDS ON ME. UNTIL IT HAPPENS TO YOU. AND THEN YOU JUST LIKE WHAT DID I DO WRONG. LIKE WHERE DID I GO WRONG AND HOW COULD I HAVE PREVENTED THIS. AND LIKE WHY WOULD HE DO SOMETHING LIKE THIS. IT IS NOT YOUR FAULT. A LOT OF WOMEN SIT THERE AND THEY ARE IN THESE RELATIONSHIPS AND THEY ARE TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHAT THEY DID WRONG. AND IT WAS NOTHING. LIKE IT REALLY IS JUST THIS PERSON WITH THEIR OWN DEMONS AND INSECURITIES AND TAKING IT OUT ON YOU BECAUSE FOR SOME REASON THEY WILL THINK THAT IT WILL MAKE THEM FEEL BETTER AND THAT IS NOT THE CASE. AND IN DOING THAT, YOU ARE SITTING THERE TRYING TO HELP THEM AND THERE IS REALLY LIKE NOTHING THAT YOU CAN DO, YOU JUST HAVE TO THINK ABOUT YOURSELF.

>> A LOT OF WOMEN AND MEN WHO ABUSED MAKE EXCUSES FOR THEIR ABUSER.

>> JUST IN RELATIONSHIPS IN GENERAL, I'M GUILTY OF JUST MAKING EXCUSES LIKE OH, HE DIDN'T CALL ME BECAUSE MAYBE HE IS JUST TIRED. OR, YOU KNOW, LIKE YOU LIKE TO MAKE EXCUSES BECAUSE WE DON'T WANT TO MAKE BELIEVE WHAT IS RIGHT IN FRONT OF OUR FACE SOMETIMES. AND I FEEL LIKE I'M AT THE POINT WHERE I'M THINKING ABOUT MYSELF, I'M BEING A BIT MORE SELFISH AND NOT PASSIVE. I FEEL LIKE I WAS SO WORRIED ABOUT MAKING SURE AND NOT TRYING TO HURT PEOPLE'S FEELINGS. ALL RIGHT, I'LL DO THIS BECAUSE I DON'T WANT TO FEEL LIKE THE ARGUMENT OR WHATEVER. BUT, IN, I HAVE TO THINK ABOUT MYSELF FIRST. IT IS TIME FOR ME TO BE MORE SELFISH IN MY DECISIONS.

>> AND WHAT WAS IT LIKE FOR YOU, I'M SURE GETTING OUT OF THAT SITUATION, YOU PROBABLY HAD TO SIT WITH IT AND FOCUS ON YOURSELF. SO WHAT ARE SOME OF THE THINGS THAT YOU DO FOR SELF CARE AND TO MAKE SURE THAT YOU ARE TAKING CARE OF YOU?

>> IN THE BEGINNING IT WAS REALLY DIFFICULT. I DIDN'T KNOW WHAT I WAS GOING TO DO. LIKE I DIDN'T KNOW -- I WAS SO ANGRY, I WAS SO HURT BY THIS PERSON WHO WAS SUPPOSED TO LIKE LOVE ME. I WAS SO HURT BY MY FRIENDS WHO WERE SUPPOSED TO BE BY MY SIDE AND WERE SUPPOSED TO LOVE ME AND ENDED UP SHOWING THEIR TRUE COLORS THAT THEY CARED MORE ABOUT THE CLOUT THAN THEY DID ABOUT OUR FRIENDSHIP. AND IT WAS KIND OF ROUGH BECAUSE I FELT LIKE I WAS ALONE IN THAT THERE WAS IN WAY FOR ME TO -- FOR MY VOICE TO BE HEARD. LIKE IT DIDN'T MATTER. WHICH IS ALSO WHAT INSPIRED ME TO SHARE THIS THROUGH MY ART. I GUESS I JUST LAD TO -- HAD TO THINK ABOUT MYSELF. AND I WAS SCARED TO SEE A THERAPIST. A LOT OF PEOPLE, LIKE THERE IS SUCH A STIGMA ESPECIALLY AGAINST LIKE IN THE BLACK COMMUNITY AGAINST GOING TO THERAPY. AND SO I WAS REALLY LIKE NERVOUS. LIKE HOW IS THIS RANDOM PERSON SUPPOSED TO TELL ME ABOUT MY LIFE. HOW DO THEY KNOW EVEN IN THEIR OWN LIFE. I WAS LIKE WHAT AM I DOING, WHAT IS THIS, WHAT ARE THESE EMOTIONS THAT I'M FEELING. I'M SO SCARED AND HURT AND ANGRY AND I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO. AND THEN I WAS LIKE YOU KNOW WHAT, I'M REALLY INTO LIKECHRIS -- CRYSTALS AND SPIRITUAL THINGS. AND SO MY FRIEND WAS LIKE YOU SHOULD GO TO THIS READER, IT HELPED ME A LOT. AND SO I WENT AND WE DID THIS WHOLE ENERGY CLEANSING CEREMONY AND I CRIED AND PULLED CARDS. AND IT REALLY HELPED ME A LOT. SOME PEOPLE THINK THAT IS WEIRD, WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT, BUT IT HELPED ME A LOT. EVEN IF IT IS NOT REAL OR IF IT IS REAL, IT WAS JUST SOMETHING THAT -- IT WAS SOMETHING TO HELP ME GET THROUGH IT. AND I STILL LIKE DO THE THINGS LIKE WAKE UP EVERY MORNING AND THINK OF FIVE THINGS THAT I'M APPRECIATIVE FOR. AND FIVE THINGS THAT I'M THANKFUL FOR AND I LOVE ABOUT THE WORLD AND STUFF LIKE THAT. AND IT HELPS. IT HELPS. THE LITTLE THINGS HELP. EVEN JUST SMILING AT SOMEONE WALKING ON THE STREET OR HELPING SOMEONE OUT AND JUST TALKING TO SOMEONE FOR A LITTLE BIT, IT CAN HELP YOU A LOT AND IT HELPS THAT PERSON A LOT TOO. YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT SOMEONE IS GOING THROUGH IN THEIR LIFE. AND WE SAY IT ALL THE TIME. LIKE TO BE NICE AND POSITIVE AND SENDING PEOPLE LOVE AND PRAYING. LIKE YOU ACTUALLY HAVE TO DO THAT, NOT JUST SAY IT.

>> THERAPY COMES IN SO MANY DIFFERENT FORMS. EVERYTHING YOU'VE TALKED ABOUT, I'VE DONE AND THE WOMEN IN MY LIFE HAVE DONE. AND IT IS SO IMPORTANT FOR YOUR FANS TO HEAR YOU TALK ABOUT THAT BECAUSE PEOPLE SUFFER FROM DEPRESSION AND ANXIETY AND TRY TO DEAL WITH IT ON YOUR OWN. AND YOU ARE SOMEBODY THAT YOUR FANS RESPECT AND LOVE AND IT MEANS SO MUCH FOR YOU TO SPEAK OUT ABOUT GOING TO THERAPY AND DOING SOMETHING FOR YOURSELF.

>> I MEAN I THINK MENTAL HEALTH IS REALLY -- I FEEL LIKE IT IS A REALLY IMPORTANT TOPIC THAT LOT OF PEOPLE DON'T -- I MEAN IT IS GETTING TALKED ABOUT A LOT NOW THESE DAY, BUT LIKE IT IS JUST REALLY HARD WITH SOCIAL MEDIA AND EVERYTHING. PEOPLE THINK EVERYTHING IS A JOKE. LIKE EVERY SINGLE THING IS A JOKE. LIKE SOMEONE CAN GOD FORBID GET HIT BY A CAR RIGHT HERE AND IT WILL BE BLASTED ALL OVER SOCIAL MEDIA AND OH, MY GOD, WELL, MAYBE YOU SHOULD HAVE WAITED FOR THE -- LIKE SOMETHING STUPID. EVERYBODY ALWAYS HAS TO MAKE A LITTLE COMMENT. WE ARE SO DESENSITIZED TO WHAT IS GOING ON IN THE WORLD BECAUSE THERE IS SOMETHING HAPPENING EVERY MILLISECOND. AND EVERYONE IS ON TO THE NEXT THING. BUT IT IS LIKE DUDE, THIS IS REAL LIFE.

>> HOW DO YOU BALANCE THAT? YOU HAVE A HUGE INSTRAGRAM FOLLOWING AND I'VE CHECKED IT OUT, YOU DON'T OVERFILTER THINGS. IT SEEMS LIKE YOU ARE REALLY TRYING TO PUT FORWARD THE MOST AND YOU THEN JUSTINE.

>> THANK YOU. I APPRECIATE YOU SAYING THAT.

>> YEAH, I WAS LIKE THAT IS HER AND IT FELT GOOD FOR ME TO SEE.

>> I'M JUST CHILLING, MAN. THIS IS ME. IF YOU LIKE IT, YOU LIKE IT. IF YOU DON'T, OKAY.

>> HOW IS YOUR RELATIONSHIP WITH SOCIAL MEDIA? YOU GOT YOUR START KIND OF ON TUMBLR AND THAT HAS HELPED YOU BUILD YOUR CAREER. SO HOW HAS THAT CHANGED AND EVOLVED.

>> IT IS DEFINITELY A LOVE/HATE RELATIONSHIP. NOW I'M A LITTLE BIT MORE LIKE HAPPY, BUT I WAS VERY SELF-CONSCIOUS ABOUT LIKE THINGS. AND I HAD TO HAVE LIKE A LITTLE SIT-DOWN WITH MYSELF. AND TELL MYSELF LIKE YOU DIDN'T CARE. I WAS TALKING ABOUT THIS IN THE GREENROOM. THE THINGS THAT I WOULD POST AND THINGS THAT I WOULD WEAR, I WAS TALKING ABOUT LIKE MY FIRST FASHION WEEK WHAT I THOUGHT I WAS DOING. OH, HORRENDOUS. I LITERALLY WAS WEARING A TIARA, FOREST GREEN LIPSTICK AND CAMO PANTS AND AMERICAN APPAREL LIKE TANK TOP. AND I WAS LIKE WALKING AROUND LIKE YEAH, FASHION WEEK, WE OUT HERE JUST LIKE -- I WASN'T EVEN GOING TO ANY FASHION SHOWS. JUST LITERALLY WALK LIKING AROUND THE STREETS WITH MY FRIENDS. AND NOW I'M JUST LIKE COMPARED TO TODAY, GOING TO FASHION SHOWS, I'VE COME SUCH A LONG WAY. WHAT I THOUGHT I WAS DOING TO WHAT I'M ACTUALLY DOING NOW, I'M LIKE --

>> GIVE IT FIVE MORE YEARS, AND YOU'LL BE LIKE -- THAT IS YOUR 20s. YOU ARE CONSTANTLY EVOLVING AND CHANGING. THAT IS WHY THEY ARE FUN.

>> I DON'T KNOW IF THEY ARE FUN. 22 WAS A ROUGH YEAR FOR ME.

>> 24 WAS MY WORST.

>> IF I COULD DELETE 22, I WOULD.

>> BUT YOU WILL LEARN SOMETHING FROM 22. YOU WILL BE 32 AND YOU YOU WILL BE LIKE THAT YEAR SET UP ALL THIS STUFF I'M DOING NOW. WATCH. WATCH.LIKE THAT YEAR SET UP ALL THIS STUFF I'M DOING NOW. WATCH. WATCH.

>> I'LL HOLD YOU TO THAT.

>> CALL ME UP IN TEN YEARS AND SAY THAT WAS A TEACHABLE TIME FOR ME. THAT'S WHAT OPRAH SAYS ANYWAY. ULTRAVIOLET, I LOVED SO MUCH. AND YOUR MUSIC IS TRUE R&B. I FEEL LIKE I'M IN THE '90s. AND IT WAS JUST REALLY ENCOURAGING YOUNG WOMEN TO BE CONFIDENT IN WHO THEY ARE. SO GOING FORWARD, I KNOW YOU ARE WORKING ON ANOTHER PROJECT, ARE THOSE SIMILAR THEMES OR ARE YOU MAYBE MORE FOCUSED ON DIFFERENT THINGS NOW?

>> DEFINITELY SIMILAR THEMES. IT IS A LOT ABOUT WHAT IS GOING ON IN MY LIFE. AND I'M A LOVER. LIKE I'M ALWAYS GIVING THAT. AND THAT IS LIKE ALWAYS TAKEN ADVANTAGE OF. BUT IT MAKES FOR GREAT MUSIC I GUESS UNFORTUNATELY. LIKE EVEN THAT, EVEN THAT LIKE I SEE THAT ONLINE LIKE I HOPE HE BREAKS HER HEART SO SHE CAN WRITE A GREAT ALBUM. WHAT?

>> YEAH, THIS IS MY LIFE.

>> WHY DO YOU WANT THIS PERSON TO BE SAD JUST SO THEY CAN WRITE AN ALBUM FOR YOU.

>> I DO REALLY LOVE YOUR MUSIC, BUT I DON'T NTS W WANT YOU TO BE SAD.

>> NO, THIS ONE IS A LOT MORE CONFIDENT. STILL A LOT ABOUT LOVE. LOVE IS VERY UNIVERSAL. BUT THERE IS ONE SONG THAT I CANNOT WAIT TO PUT UP THAT I DID. IT WAS IN A STUDIO DOWN THE BLOCK. BUT IT IS REALLY DOPE. I'M LIKE EXTREMELY EXCITED FOR YOU TO HEAR THE MUSIC.

>> AND WHAT IS YOUR PROCESS LIKE? HOW MUCH DO YOU WRITE, DO YOU WRITE WITH PEOPLE?

>> I LIKE TO CO-WRITE. I'M VERY INDECISIVE. AND I WILL RECORD LIKE THAT ONE LINE 5 MILLION TIMES. AND BE LIKE WAS IT OKAY ON, ARE YOU SURE? ARE YOU SURE? NO, IT WAS BAD. NO, NO, NO, I'LL DO IT AGAIN . I'M THAT PERSON. AND THAT IS WHY WHEN I WORK WITH SOMEONE LIKE A VOCAL ALLOWER THAT I REALLY, REALLY LIKE THINK IS AWESOME, I ALWAYS HAVE TO HAVE THEM THERE. BECAUSE THEY WILL BE LIKE YOU'RE BUGGING. THAT WAS FINE. I'M LEARNING TO TRUST MY OWN I THINK -- INSTINCTS. BUT I DID LIKE TO CO-WRITE BECAUSE THE LIKE THE IDEAS FLOWING IN THE ROOM AND THAT PERSON CAN HELP ME GET MY WORDS OUT. AND WHEN I THERE ARE OTHER ENERGIES IN THE ROOM, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU CAN COME UP WITH.

>> IS THERE ANYTHING IN YOUR LIFE THAT YOU WOULD NEVER SING ABOUT?

>> NO, I DON'T THINK SO.

>> AND YOU'VE HAD SOME REALLY COOL COLLABORATORS AND ALL THE AMAZING PRODUCERS. WHAT IS MAYBE SOME OF THE BEST ADVICE FROM SOMEBODY IN THE INDUSTRY THAT YOU USED TO JUST KEEP YOU GOING AND MOTIVATED WHEN IT GETS TOUGH?

>> THE BEST ADVICE, SOMEONE WHO IS LIKE REALLY CLOSE IT ME THAT ALWAYS TELLS ME, HE IS ONE OF MY BEST FRIENDS WHO IS AN AMAZING SONGWRITER. HE HAS PROBABLY WRITTEN ONE OF YOUR FAVORITE SONGS THAT YOU SING ALL THE TIME. BUT HE IS ALWAYS TELLING ME, WHICH IS FUNNY, HE'S LIKE I TOLD YOU, YOU GOT TO LIKE CHASE THE PAPER, NOT THE BOYS. THEY WILL BE THERE. I'M LIKE YOU'RE RIGHT. EVERY TIME HE IS LIKE I DON'T KNOW HOW MANY TIMES I GOT TO TELL YOU THIS. JUST FOCUS ON LIKE GETTING THE BAG AND BEING HAPPY AND THEN ALL THAT OTHER STUFF COMES LATER.

>> YOU EVEN WROTE THAT IN "BUILD", RIGHT? YOU SAY I'M GOING TO FOCUS ON ME.

>> YEAH, I CAN'T BUILD A MAN SO I'LL WORK ON HOW I AM.

>> HOW DO YOU STAY FOCUSED ON YOU AND NOT CHASZING ALL THIS OTHER STUFF?

>> I GUESS I'M KIND OF JUST LIKE -- I DON'T KNOW. A LOT OF -- EVEN LIKE I RAN IN TO OLD FRIENDS RECENTLY AND THEY WERE SAY THIS IS SOMETHING DIFFERENT ABOUT YOU. SO I DON'T KNOW. I FEEL LIKE I WAS IN A BUBBLE AND I WAS SO LIKE WORRIED ABOUT WHAT PEOPLE THINK ABOUT ME. AND I'M JUST -- I DON'T CARE ANYMORE. I REALLY, REALLY DON'T.

>> THAT IS SO GOOD. LIKE YOU SAID, YOU SPENT ALL THOSE YEARS CARING.

>> AND THAT IS REALLY GRAINING.DRAINING. SO JUST LIVE YOUR LIFE THE WAY YOU WANT TO LIVE IT. AND MY FRIENDS ARE DEFINITELY MY REAL, REAL FRIENDS ARE DEFINITELY SUPPORTIVE OF ME BEING HAPPY. AND WE DO WEIRD THINGS LIKE JUST TAKE A WALK. AND WE HAVE A FORM OF MEDITATION BUT INSTEAD OF SITTING THERE IN QUIET, YOU ARE LIKE FOCUSING ON MAKING THE TEA AND POURING THE TEA AND AMBIENT MUSIC PLAYING. LIKE WOW, I SHOULD DO THIS MORE OFTEN. I LIKE SURROUNDING MYSELF WITH PEOPLE THAT CAN TEACH ME NEW THINGS.

>> HAVE YOU BEEN TO JAPAN? THEY DO AMAZING TEA RITUALS THERE.

>> HOW DO I GET THERE?

>> I CAN BOOK YOU A FLIGHT. I KNOW A GUY.

>> ALL RIGHT.

>> THERE ARE A LOT OF PEOPLE IN THE AUDIENCE THAT LOVE YOU AND HAVE QUESTIONS. SO LET'S GO TO THE AUDIENCE.

>> HI. I'VE BEEN A FAN FOR A REALLY LONG TIME LIKE FROM SKYE HIGH AND THOSE DAYS.

>> THANK YOU. HOW YOU DESCRIBE YOUR GROWTH IN MUSIC --

>> HOW DO I DESCRIBE MY GROWTH IS JUST LIFE-I GUESS IT IS JUST LIKE ANY OF YOU GUYS SITTING IN THE AUDIENCE. LIKE WE'RE ALL GROWING AND LEARNING ABOUT OURSELVES. IT IS NO DIFFERENT REALLY. LIKE ALL THE EXPERIENCES THAT LIKE I'VE BEEN GOING THROUGH, LIKE THE HEARTBREAK, THE LOVE, THE CONFUSION. JUST EXPRESSING THAT THROUGH MY MUSIC. WE PROBABLY HAVE DIFFERENT JOBS, BUT I'M ABLE TO EXPRESS THAT TRUE -- THROUGH MY MUSIC AND CONNECTING WITH PEOPLE LIKE YOU IS JUST AMAZING.

>> ARE THERE ANY OTHER PERFORMERS WHOSE CAREERS THAT YOU REALLY SORT OF RESPECT AND WOULD LIKE TO MODEL OR ARE YOU FORMING YOUR OWN PATH?

>> DEFINITELY FORGING MY OWN PATH. I DON'T THINK THAT IT IS SMART TO COMPARE YOUR PATH TO LIKE OTHER PEOPLE'S. BECAUSE THAT IS NOT REALISTIC. EVERYONE IS SO DIFFERENT AND EVERYONE'S TIMING IS DIFFERENT. LIKE STRESSING YOURSELF OUT ABOUT, BUT BEYONCE DID IT LIKE THIS -- NO, YOU'RE NOT BEYONCE. AND THAT IS NOT TO SAY THAT YOU ARE NOT AMAZING. BUT DON'T STRIVE TO BE LIKE BEYONCE, STRIVE TO BE LIKE YOU.

>> AND THAT'S WHAT YOU'RE DOING.

>> HI, JUSTINE. YOU ARE SUCH A BEAUTIFUL AND BRILLIANT VOCALIST. HEAVEN IS MY GO-TO HAPPY JAZZ. AND I WANTED TO ASK, IS THERE ANYONE THAT YOU WANT TO COLLABORATE WITH WHO YOU HAVEN'T COLLABORATED WITH?

>> THERE ARE SO MANY PEOPLE I'D LOVE TO COLLABORATE WITH. I GUESS ONE -- THAT WIND IS CRAZY. I JUST HEARD IT, IT WAS LOUD. BUT I GUESS SOMEONE THAT I WOULD LOVE TO COLLABORATE WITH, PROBABLY LIKE MISSY ELLIOTT. I DEFINITELY WOULD LOVE TO WORK WITH HER AND FOR HER TO WRITE FOR ME. I THINK THAT WOULD BE LIKE AWESOME.

>> AND I CAN SEE THAT HAPPENING BECAUSE SHE IS LIKE COMING BACK OUT WITH MORE STUFF.

>> I'VE BEEN AN AROUND HER A COUPLE TIMES AND I GUESS NERVOUS AND I JUST WALK AWAY. PROBABLY NOT GOOD, BUT LIKE I DON'T KNOW, SHE IS JUST STANDING THERE AND I'M LIKE --

>> MISSY IS SUCH A SUPPORTER THOUGH. I FEEL LIKE IF YOU SAID SOMETHING NEXT TIME --

>> I KNOW. I GUESS IT IS THE ENVIRONMENT THAT WE'RE IN THAT MAKES ME LIKE REALLY NERVOUS. EVERY TIME I MEET BEYONCE, I GET SCARED AND WALK AWAY.

>> THAT IS UNDERSTANDABLE. IT IS OKAY.

>> I'M LIKE AM I SUPPOSED TO BE HERE? LIKE THIS IS HER ROOM.

>> LAST QUESTION.

>> HEY, GIRL.

>> LOVE YOUR HAIR.

>> THANK YOU. BIG FAN. SO FROM THEN TO NOW, HOW DO YOU BALANCE THIS CAREER AND BEING ABLE -- WITH THE SELF CARE AND WHAT HAVE YOU LEARNED ABOUT LIFE AND YOURSELF AND JUST BALANCING ALL OF THAT?

>> I THINK I'M STILL LEARNING. I'M ONLY 23. I HAVE A LOT LEFT TO LEARN. SOMETHING THAT I GUESS THAT I'VE LEARNED UP TO NOW IS JUST REALLY BE VOCAL ABOUT MY OPINION. THIS INDUSTRY CAN GET REALLY CONFUSING BECAUSE EVERYONE HAS THEIR IDEA OF LIKE WHO YOU SHOULD BE AND WHAT TYPE OF ARTIST YOU SHOULD BE AND WHAT TYPE OF MUSIC THAT YOU SHOULD BE MAKING. AND YOU WILL GET CAUGHT UP AND BE LIKE MAYBE I SHOULD LISTEN TO THIS OR THAT. AND YOU GET REALLY CONFUSED. AND I FEEL LIKE YOU JUST HAVE TO KNOW WHEN TO TAKE ADVICE BUT NOT LET IT FULLY CONTROL YOUR WHOLE ENTIRE LIKE CAREER. SO I FEEL LIKE I'VE REACHED THAT POINT RIGHT NOW. SO YEAH, JUST BEING TRUE TO WHO YOU ARE AND THAT SOUNDS LIKE -- I HATE SAYING THAT, BUT IT IS REAL. IT IS JUST REAL.

>> HAVE YOU HAD A MOMENT WHERE YOUR GUT YOU FOLLOWED IT AND IT WAS RIGHT MUSICALLY?

>> YEAH. I GUESS WITH THIS SINGLE RIGHT HERE, IT WAS LIKE I FOUGHT FOR IT. BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE ON MY TEAM WAS LIKE WE SHOULD LIKE GO WITH THIS. AND I KEPT PUSHING IT BACK OUT THERE LIKE NO, NO, NO, THIS IS THE ONE. I LOVE THIS SONG. AND I DON'T REALLY CARE WHAT YOU THINK ABOUT IT. BUT EVENTUALLY LIKE EVERYONE GOT ONBOARD AND I WAS LIKE YAY!

>> WELL, I KNOW YOU HAVE NEW MUSIC THAT YOU ARE WORKING ON FOR NEXT YEAR. BUT IN THE MEANTIME, "BUILD" IS STREAMING, GUYS. SO LISTEN TO IT ON REPEAT LIKE I HAVE. GIVE IT UP FOR JUSTINE SKYE.

>> THANK YOU.

Tika Sumpter & Mark-Paul Gosselaar

🗣Calling all "black-ish" fans! We sat down with Tika Sumpter and Mark-Paul Gosselaar, the two stars of the new spin-off centered around Rainbow's childhood. They shared why they're proud to be a part of the series and what fans will love about it. (Photo Credit: JP Yim /BUILD )

Donald Faison

We've loved him from his hilarious roles in the hit shows, "Clueless" and "Scrubs." But now we get to see a different and more dramatic side of Donald Faison in the new ABC mystery drama, "Emergence." What drew him to the show? Is acting in a drama harder or easier for him? He answered all. (Photo Credit: JP Yim /BUILD )

Cote de Pablo

Cote de Pablo easily has one of the best names! 😎 But besides having a cool name, she recently returned to reprise her role on the very popular "NCIS" which thrilled fans everywhere. Hear what made her come back to the show and how she feels about her character, Ziva David. (Photo Credit: JP Yim /BUILD )

Monét X Change with Icona Pop

Anytime Monet's money gun makes an appearance it's hard to keep a straight face! 😏With or without the gun, we were all smiles throughout our time with Aino Jawo and Caroline Hjelt, the two lovely ladies that make up Icona Pop. Watch as we put their knowledge of pop to the test and you be the judge if they passed or not.  (Photo Credit: Mike Pont /BUILD )

Dan Berk, Bill Skarsgård & Robert Olsen

You may know (and secretly love 👀) Bill Skarsgård as Pennywise the Clown from "IT," but don't try to typecast him. From horror to comedies, the actor is interested in all types of roles...which is why he was happy to star in the drama, "Villains." So be sure to check out our great talk with Skarsgård and the directors of the movie. (Photo Credit: Michael Koehler /BUILD )

Forest Whitaker

Any project that has this world-class actor attached to it is going to be really good! So we're pumped to see Forest Whitaker's portrayal of crime boss Bumpy Johnson in the new show, "Godfather of Harlem." Hear what he learned about the man behind the myth and why he took on the role. (Photo Credit: Mike Pont /BUILD )

Sara Gilbert

Even though we're going to miss her on "The Talk," we can continue to still love Sara Gilbert as Darlene on ABC's "The Conners." During our conversation with the star and executive producer of the series, she told us what we can expect from season 2 and what it's been like filming since the fiasco last year. (Photo Credit: JP YIM /BUILD )

Hannah Hart

Hannah Hart was an infectious ball of energy and we loved it! 🥰 The popular YouTuber has converted everything people love about her videos into words with her new book, "My Drunk Kitchen Holidays!". Find out how to add fun, new twists to your favorite days of the year. (Photo Credit: Noam Galai /BUILD )

Tove Lo

Why is she so cool?! 😫 Tove Lo stopped by the BUILD Studio to talk new music from her album titled "Sunshine Kitty." During our chat with the open book artist, she told us about the music she strives to make and so much more. Watch! (Photo Credit: Noam Galai /BUILD )

Michael Fox, Kevin Doyle, Jim Carter, Phyllis Logan, Sophie McShera & Lesley Nicol

"Downton Abbey" fans rejoice! The long-awaited movie of the internationally popular series is finally upon us. We were joined by stars Michael Fox, Jim Carter, Kevin Doyle, Lesley Nicol, Phyllis Logan and Sophie McShera and found out what it was like adapting the show from the little screen to the big screen. (Photo Credit: Noam Galai /BUILD )

Johnny Rzeznik & Robby Takac of the Goo Goo Dolls

Cheers to Goo Goo Dolls and their new album! 🤟Making a record requires a lot of work and dedication and that's exactly what went into Johnny Rzeznik and Robby Takac's "Miracle Pill." Watch as they explain what kept them going and where the name of the album came from.  (Photo Credit: Mike Pont /BUILD )

Monét X Change w/ Malik Yoba & Carmen Carrera on "The X Change Rate"

We're all about having a good time at "The X Change Rate" but Monét is also using her platform to raise awareness about important matters. This week, she sat down with Malik Yoba and Carmen Carrera to talk about the National Trans Visibility March and the injustices transgender people face. Malik also got the chance to clear the air about some recent press. Don't miss their deep conversation and a special performance from musician Mila Jam! (Photo Credit: Michael Koehler /BUILD )

Dennis Quaid, Billy Bob Thornton & Amy Brenneman

Billy Bob Thornton, Amy Brenneman and Dennis Quaid are all iconic in their own right, so to have all three on our stage at once was amazing! 😩 From the vibe on-set to their characters' arcs and everything in between, the three actors told us all about their work on season 3 of Amazon Prime's "Goliath."  (Photo Credit: Mike Pont /BUILD )

Day6

It's no surprise that this K-pop group made our day! 😌 The members of Day6 were sweet as can be and all about their fans, as they always are. Listen to the guys explain why their fans mean so much and share what's next for the beloved group. (Photo Credit: Mike Pont /BUILD )

Trisha Yearwood

Trisha Yearwood is back with new music and we are pumped! 🙌 In her latest album, "Every Girl," the award-winning artist is celebrating women of all ages and is hoping to inspire a whole new generation of young artists. Tune into our great chat. (Photo Credit: Mike Pont /BUILD )

Neil Patrick Harris

He always get us with the magic tricks! 🤩✨We all know Neil Patrick Harris from some of our favorite tv shows and movies, but let's not forget he's a New York Times best-selling author. Don't miss our talk with the lovely multi-talented actor about his love for magic and more. (Photo Credit: Michael Koehler /BUILD )

Toni Collette, Kaitlyn Dever, Merritt Wever, Sarah Timberman, Danielle Macdonald, Lisa Cholodenko & Susannah Grant

This group of stellar women came together to create Netflix's "Unbelievable." We talked with stars Toni Collette, Kaitlyn Dever, Merritt Wever, Danielle Macdonald and the executive producers to break down the limited series that is going to open up some much-needed dialogue.  (Photo Credit: Michael Koehler /BUILD )

Jerry Springer

🗣 JERRY! JERRY! For over 20+ years, Jerry Springer exposed us to some of the wildest stories America has ever heard. Now, he's taking all the knowledge he gained from "The Jerry Springer Show" and bringing it to the courtroom in his series, "Judge Jerry." Find out how his approach has changed going from host to judge. 👨‍⚖️ (Photo Credit: Mike Pont /BUILD )

Melanie Martinez

The lady's got style! 😍Melanie Martinez is truly dedicated to her craft. Not only did she create a new 13-track album, but she directed an entire film to go along with it. Watch as she took us through her creative process and vision for the projects. (Photo Credit: Mike Pont /BUILD )

Doutzen Kroes

When supermodel Doutzen Kroes is not gracing the runway, she's painstakingly working with Knot On My Planet to save endangered elephants. Hear how she got involved with the organization and what she finds so fulfilling about being their global ambassador. (Photo Credit: Mike Pont /BUILD )

Sleeping With Sirens

These four guys make up one of the best rock bands around: Sleeping with Sirens. Everyone can relate to a time in their life where they felt lost and that's exactly what the band's new album is about. What inspired the LP? Who did they collaborate with? Find out. (Photo Credit: Michael Koehler /BUILD )

Monét X Change w/ Trixie Mattel

These two just couldn't keep it together! 😂From their thoughts on scandalous tweets to other drag queens' looks, Monét and Trixie Mattel were definitely keeping it real. Don't miss yet another hilarious episode of "The X Change Rate."  (Photo Credit: Michael Koehler /BUILD )

Sheryl Crow

Talented, lovely and righteously outspoken; it's not hard to understand why Sheryl Crow is so beloved! The Grammy-winning artist talked to us about her last album, "Threads," #MeToo and so much more. Tune in! (Photo Credit: Mike Pont /BUILD )

Adam Lambert

After touring with Queen for so many years Adam Lambert is pretty much royalty, so we were more than happy to supply the throne! 😌The music powerhouse and fan-favorite artist is pumped for fans to hear his new EP, "VELVET: Side A." Find out why.

(Photo Credit: Noam Galai /BUILD )

Sam and Colby

Making content can be quite scary, but for these two it literally is! YouTube phenomenons Sam and Colby travel all over the world exploring haunted, spooky locations on their show, "The Origin." Watch as they share what it's been like filming the series and what's next for them. (Photo Credit: Noam Galai /BUILD )

Amanda Stanton

Amanda Stanton's book, "Now Accepting Roses," is on shelves now! In it, Stanton gives advice for those navigating the confusing dating world and recounts some of the most memorable moments of her life. So be sure to grab a copy, but before you do, check out our chat with her. 😊🌹 (Photo Credit: Michael Koehler /BUILD )

Shameik Moore

Wu-Tang forever! 👐Shameik Moore just continues to add to his amazing body of work ("The Get Down," "Spider-Man Into The Spider-Verse") with Hulu's "Wu-Tang: An American Saga." How daunting was telling the story of one of hip-hop's most iconic groups? Find out. (Photo Credit: Mike Pont /BUILD )

Tony Hale

Such a cute pair! 🥰 These two are responsible for the show kids aren't going to get enough of, "Archibald's Next Big Thing." Creator Tony Hale talked about the new Netflix animated series and recalls some of his favorite moments from "Veep" and "Arrested Development."  (Photo Credit: Mike Pont /BUILD )

Monét X Change w/ Dr. Ruth

Now we all know that Monét is not shy when it comes to talking about sex. So who else better for her to chat with than the adorable, groundbreaking sex therapist, Dr. Ruth? Check out what advice she gave Monét, the audience and see if you can spot an adult toy when you see one! 🤔 (Photo Credit: Noam Galai /BUILD )

John Elway

This Hall of Famer's hands are responsible for some of the best plays NFL fans have ever seen. The one and only John Elway joined us to talk about the league, its latest trends and his mission to raise awareness about the hand condition, Dupuytren's contracture. Be sure to watch. (Photo Credit: Mike Pont /BUILD )

of