Nothing Like Reality TV

10.02.18

Christian Siriano Chats About His Dermira Partnership & The "Check Your Sweat" Campaign

Christian Siriano has teamed up with Dermira as part of the "Check Your Sweat" campaign to continue to empower people, specifically people with excessive underarm sweating – which is a real medical condition called primary axillary hyperhidrosis – to feel confident in their skin. As part of the campaign, Siriano is sharing a call-to-action for people with the condition to share their sweaty stories, photos and hacks on CheckYourSweat.com to help tackle the stigma around excessive sweating.

View Transcript

>>> HI, EVERYONE, WELCOME BACK TO BUILD. I'M YOUR HOST, BRITTANY JONES-COOPER. TODAY, I'M GOING TO CHAT WITH FASHION DESIGNER CHRISTIAN SIRIANO ABOUT SWEATING. THE “PROJECT RUNWAY” ALUM HAS TEAMED UP WITH DERMIRA’S CHECK YOUR SWEAT CAMPAIGN TO ENCOURAGE PEOPLE WITH EXCESSIVE UNDERARM SWEATING TO FEEL CONFIDENT IN THEIR SKIN. PUT YOUR HANDS TOGETHER FOR CHRISTIAN SIRIANO.

>> THANK YOU.

>> HOW ARE YOU?

>> I AM NOT SWEATING RIGHT NOW.

>> YOU LOOK GREAT.

>> THANK YOU. HOW ARE YOU?

>> I FEEL GOOD.

>> GOOD. IT'S NICE THAT WE'RE NOT IN THE NEW YORK CITY SUMMER, IT'S ONE OF THE MOST DISGUSTING PLACES.

>> IT'S REALLY NICE.

>> IT’S A BEAUTIFUL FALL DAY. SO NOBODY IS SWEATING TODAY. SO I'M KIND OF LAUGHING, BUT SWEATING IS SOMETHING THAT OBVIOUSLY AFFECTS EVERYBODY, AND HAS A WEIRD STIGMA AROUND IT. WHY DID YOU WANT TO BE PART THIS CAMPAIGN?

>> YOU KNOW, REAL EXCESSIVE SWEATING IS A REAL THING. 10 MILLION PEOPLE HAVE IT. I HAVE CUSTOMERS ALL THE TIME THAT SAY I CAN'T WEAR THIS BECAUSE I HAVE THIS ISSUE. SO I WANTED TO HELP PEOPLE, YOU KNOW, SHARE THEIR STORIES, AND FEEL LIKE YOU'RE NOT ALONE. AND TRY TO HELP ALONG THAT YOU CAN STILL, I DON'T KNOW, BE FASHIONABLE AND STYLISH AND COOL AND NOT HAVE TO WEAR YOUR SAME BLACK DRESS EVERY SINGLE DAY, AND STILL HAVE FUN WITH FASHION.

>> IS THIS SOMETHING THAT'S EVER AFFECTED YOU PERSONALLY?

>> NO, IT HASN'T. GROWING UP, I HAD A REALLY GOOD FRIEND THAT I REMEMBER, NEVER WANTED TO DO ANYTHING OR GO ANYWHERE, BECAUSE SHE WAS SO EMBARRASSED OR FELT UNCOMFORTABLE. AND WE HAVE CLIENTS THE SAME WAY. OH, I CAN'T GO TO THIS EVENT OR WEAR THIS, BECAUSE I HAVE THIS CONDITION, SO THAT'S WHY I WAS LIKE -- I THINK THERE'S WAYS TO MASK IT. THERE'S WAYS -- PICKING THE RIGHT CLOTHES, THE RIGHT FABRICATION, THE RIGHT PRINTS. I THINK THAT'S WHY I THOUGHT THIS WAS A GREAT PARTNERSHIP AND HAPPY TO BE PART OF IT.

>> WE'LL GET INTO ALL OF THAT IN A MINUTE. WE'LL TALK ABOUT HOW TO SHIELD YOUR SWEAT IN YOUR FASHION. BUT THERE'S THIS FUN ASSESSMENT ON THE WEBSITE, AND I WAS DETERMINED THAT I'M NOT SUPER SWEATING, WHICH WAS COMFORTING. ESPECIALLY WITH THESE LIGHTS. THAT'S SOMETHING THAT CATCHES YOU OFF GUARD. THEN YOU FEEL SUBCONSCIOUS.

>> I HEAR SO MANY PEOPLE WHO I DRESS ON THE RED CARPET SAY OH, I CAN'T WEAR THIS COLOR BECAUSE I SWEAT A LOT OR I HAVE THIS ISSUE. SO I THINK THAT HAPPENS. BUT WE'RE TRYING TO BREAK THROUGH IT. IT'S OKAY.

>> LET'S TALK ABOUT HOW TO MANAGE THIS, RIGHT? BECAUSE YOU CAN'T STOP YOUR BODY FROM SWEATING. IT'S ACTUALLY NECESSARY FOR YOU TO SURVIVE AS A HUMAN.

>> IT'S MORE ABOUT THAT IT'S SO UNCOMFORTABLE THAT YOU HAVE TO CHANGE YOUR CLOTHES A FEW TIMES A DAY OR YOU FEEL LIKE YOU CAN'T WEAR A CERTAIN THING. SO MY TIPS ARE PRETTY GENERAL.

>> I WANT TO GO THROUGH IT BIT BY BIT.

>> OH, WOW. LET'S DO IT.

>> LET'S BRING UP THE FIRST SLIDE. IT'S ABOUT THE FABRIC YOU CHOOSE.

>> FABRICATIONS. THE FABRICATIONS ARE SUPER IMPORTANT. NATURAL MATERIALS ARE REALLY IMPORTANT. COTTONS THAT ARE BREATHABLE, LIGHT LINENS. YOU KNOW, THE POLYBLEND WORLD THAT WE LIVE IN ISN'T ALWAYS YOUR FRIEND. SO THAT'S WHAT I'M TRYING TO GET OUT THERE.

>> WHAT IS THE WORST BLEND?

>> SOME OF THE MICROFIBER BLENDS, AND YOU'RE NOT SURE WHAT IT IS YOU'RE BUYING, BUT THEY HAVE NO BREATHING ROOM, NOTHING. YOU'RE KIND OF TRAPPED IN WHAT YOU'RE WEARING. I THINK PEOPLE CAN FEEL IT WHEN YOU HAVE SOMETHING ON, YOU FEEL STUFFY AND IT'S LIKE WHY DO YOU FEEL THAT WAY?

>> ANY TIPS FOR WEARING LEATHER WITHOUT SWEATING? BECAUSE AS WE LEARNED FROM “FRIENDS,” IT CAN GET REAL MESSY.

>> LISTEN, IT'S ALL ABOUT TIMING. SO NO, IT IS A HARD THING. SIT ONE OF THOSE THINGS. THAT'S WHY YOU HAVE TO PICK THE RIGHT THING, YEAH.

>> AND LET'S BRING UP THE NEXT SLIDE BECAUSE IT'S ABOUT LAYERING.

>> SO MY WHOLE IDEA THERE IS I THINK -- IF YOU DO FEEL LIKE YOU HAVE TO CHANGE A FEW TIMES A DAY, IF YOU ARE GOING TO LAYER AND MIX AND MATCH WHAT YOU'RE DOING, I THINK IT'S IMPORTANT TO MAKE SURE THAT IT'S COOL AND NOT JUST THROWING ON A WEIRD CARDIGAN. YOU CAN STILL HAVE COOL AND INTERESTING JACKETS AND DIFFERENT TOPS. I THINK THAT'S KIND OF THE BUY, WE DON'T WANT TO SACRIFICE STYLE FOR THAT.

>> ANY WAY TO LAYER IN THE SUMMER THAT'S NOT TOO HOT?

>> IT'S HARD. YOU HAVE TO STILL DO THE SAME THING, IF YOU'RE GOING TO WEAR A TANK TOP AND YOU NEED TO CHANGE THREE TIMES A DAY, WHY RESPECT YOU THROWING ON A SLEEVELESS VEST OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT.

>> THE LAST SLIDE IS ALL ABOUT CONTRAST.

>> PRINTS, COLORS, TEXTURES. THAT'S THE GOAL THERE TO KIND OF MASK IT, HIDE IT, GO FOR SOMETHING BOLD THAT YOU WOULD NEVER TRY. I THINK THAT'S THE BEST THING.

>> I FEEL LIKE ALL YOUR TIPS ARE GREAT, BUT I'M AFRAID OF LIKE PRINTS.

>> WHY? YOU'RE WEARING A COOL ONE.

>> THIS WAS A STRESSFUL DECISION.

>> YOU LOOK GREAT.

>> I DID IT FOR YOU.

>> YOU LOOK GREAT.

>> WHAT ARE SOME PRINTS STYLE WISE THAT ARE MORE FLATTERING THAT YOU SHOULD GO FOR?

>> I'M UP FOR ANYTHING. I'M UP FOR A BIG OVERSIZED POLKADOT, STRIPES, SOMETHING THAT CAN BE OVERLY -- AN ABSTRACT FLORAL. ANYTHING, AS LONG AS IT'S SOMETHING THAT IS BOLD AND GRAPHIC.

>> AND YOU DRESS A LOT OF CELEBRITIES AND A LOT MODELS. DO YOU HAVE ANY TRICKS THAT YOU USE WHEN YOU'RE DRESSING THEM, LIKE IF THEY'RE HAVING A SWEATING ISSUE? LITTLE THINGS LIKE THAT?

>> THERE ARE THOSE THINGS. WHEN AN ACTRESS IS IN HER CAR AND SHE'S ON HER WAY TO HER EVENT AND WE HAVE TOWELS AND THINGS LIKE THAT. BUT THOSE ARE JUST LIKE RED CARPET THINGS. THE GOAL IS TO JUST -- I THINK STILL BE YOURSELF, STILL BE CONFIDENT, DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT SO MUCH THAT'S WHAT I TRY TO GET ACROSS.

>> YOU DO GET THAT ACROSS IN A LOT OF THE THINGS YOU DO IN THAT YOU AREN'T WHAT YOU WEAR, IT'S WHAT YOU EXUDE WHILE YOU'RE WEARING IT.

>> TOTALLY.

>> IS THAT SOMETHING YOU PUT INTO YOUR OWN MIND?

>> YEAH, EVERY DAY. I THINK IT'S IMPORTANT TO LIKE BE EXCITED ABOUT WHAT YOU'RE WEARING. GETTING DRESSED IS LIKE WE'RE NOT CURING AN ILLNESS HERE, WE'RE JUST HAVING FUN. WHO CARES? SO AT THE END OF THE DAY, YOU SHOULD HAVE FUN. EVERYBODY GETS UP THE SAME WAY EVERY MORNING AND PUTS ON WHAT THEY WANT TO WEAR IN THEIR LIFE, SO WHY NOT HAVE FUN WITH IT?

>> SPEAKING OF WEARING, WE HAD FASHION WEEK LAST MONTH IN SEPTEMBER, IS THAT SO FUN FOR YOU TO PARTICIPATE IN?

>> YEAH, IT'S EXCITING. IT'S LIKE GREAT ENERGY, I LOVE STILL PUTTING ON A SHOW. WE LOVE IT, YEAH. I THINK MY TEAM IS STILL ON BOARD, AND PARIS FASHION WEEK IS RIGHT NOW. IT'S STILL AN EXCITING MOMENT. FOR A DESIGNER, IT’S OUR WHOLE WORLD. THERE'S DEFINITELY PARTS THAT ARE ANNOYING, FOR SURE. IT'S A LOT, AND SOMETIMES PEOPLE CAN BE OVERLY INTENSE DURING FASHION WEEK, WHICH IS ALWAYS EXCITING TO MEET THOSE PEOPLE. SO YEAH, IT'S A FUNNY TIME. BUT STILL FUN. YEAH.

>> SO WE HAVE ALL OF THESE FASHION WEEKS HAPPENING. HOW DOES THAT AFFECT YOUR PROCESS, LIKE WHEN DO YOU GET BACK IN YOUR STUDIO AND START SKETCHING AND DOING THINGS FOR YOUR NEXT --

>> I'M ALWAYS WORKING ON SOMETHING ELSE, WHICH CAN BE GOOD AND BAD. I HAD MY SHOW AND I REMEMBER THE NIGHT BEFORE MY SHOW AT LIKE 11:00 P.M., I DID A FITTING FOR THE EMMYS, IT WAS SO CRAZY. I'M LIKE, WHY ARE WE DOING THIS. IT'S BECAUSE THE EMMYS WERE THE WEEKEND AFTER. YOU'RE ALWAYS JUST CREATING, BUT THAT ALSO HELPS, BECAUSE THEN I DON'T FEEL LIKE I GET STOPPED, AND I LIKE BEING CREATIVE ALL THE TIME. I DON'T KNOW, THAT'S JUST PART OF MY PROCESS.

>> WHAT IS INFLUENCING YOU NOW? YOU KNOW, WHAT ARE YOU SORT OF LOOKING AT, WHAT'S ON YOUR VISION BOARD?

>> DEFINITELY LIKE -- I DON'T KNOW. EVERYTHING INSPIRES ME. THE COLLECTION I JUST DID WAS LIKE A HAWAIIAN HOLIDAY. BUT I THINK THE PEOPLE, THE CUSTOMERS — WE'RE GETTING SO MUCH FEEDBACK, WHAT PEOPLE WANT TO WEAR, WHAT INSPIRES PEOPLE, ALL THOSE DIFFERENT THINGS. SO THAT'S NICE TO SEE.

>> DEFINITELY. AND YOU'RE DESIGNING FOR THE EVERY WOMAN, WHICH IS ALWAYS REALLY REFRESHING WHEN I LOOK AT THE PHOTOS FROM FASHION WEEK AND YOUR MODELS ARE DIFFERENT SIZES AND DIFFERENT RACES, AND WE'RE STILL NOT SEEING THAT EVERY RUNWAY. THAT MAKES ME LOVE YOUR DESIGNS AND BRAND EVEN MORE. DO YOU HEAR THAT A LOT FROM PEOPLE?

>> IT'S AWESOME TO GET THE LOVE AND SUPPORT. I JUST THINK IT'S STRANGE TO NOT HAVE A DIVERSE GROUP OF PEOPLE OUT THERE WEARING YOUR CLOTHES, BECAUSE THAT'S HOW WE ALL ARE AND EVERYBODY IS DIFFERENT. I LIKE THAT. I THINK IT'S MORE EXCITING. TRUST ME, I GET SICK OF THE SAME THING, SO IT'S ONE OF THOSE THINGS.

>> I THINK IT EXCITES MORE PEOPLE ABOUT FASHION.

>> THE NUMBER ONE THING IS THAT YOU CAN ENVISION MAYBE IF YOU ARE LIKE THAT PERSON, YOUR ENVISION YOURSELF IN THAT OUTFIT, OR ENVISION YOURSELF, OH, MAYBE I COULD BUY THIS PIECE OR WEAR THIS BAG, WHATEVER IT IS. I THINK THAT'S THE MOST IMPORTANT THING.

>> WHICH IS THE REASON THAT “PROJECT RUNWAY” WAS SO SUCCESSFUL. BECAUSE ALL OF A SUDDEN YOU'RE THROWN INTO THAT PROCESS AND SEE HOW THE CLOTHES ARE MADE AND THAT MAKES YOU MORE INTERESTED IN THE ENTIRE WORLD.

>> YEAH. I'M SURE PEOPLE GOT TO SEE THE, YOU KNOW, THE PROCESS OF MAKING CLOTHES IS REALLY BEAUTIFUL AND INTERESTING TO WATCH. AND YOU MAKE -- YOU ARE TAKING A FLAT PIECE OF NOTHING AND TURNING IT INTO THIS THREE DIMENSIONAL THING AND LIVE THEIR EVERYDAY LIFE IN.

>> IT'S LIKE A STRANGE THING TO THINK ABOUT. HAVE YOU EVER THOUGHT ABOUT HAVING YOUR OWN SHOW? I KNOW YOU'VE DONE SPECIALS AND THINGS --

>> A TEACH THING? NO, OH, NO.

>> WHY?

>> I'VE NEVER BEEN INTO IT. I LOVE -- I JUST LIKE -- I LIKE DRESSING OTHER PEOPLE. NO, THAT WAS ALWAYS MY THING, YEAH.

>> YOU DON'T WANT IT TO BE TOO MUCH ABOUT YOU.

>> NO.

>> SO “PROJECT RUNWAY” WAS PROBABLY HARD FOR YOU.

>> IT'S A TOTALLY DIFFERENT THING. YEAH, TOTALLY DIFFERENT WORLD, TOTALLY DIFFERENT THING, YEAH.

>> THAT'S FINE. YOU HAVE SO MUCH GOING ON. I KNOW YOU'RE DESIGNING BEDDING AND GLASSES AND CLOTHES. IS THERE ONE CATEGORY THAT REALLY FEEDS YOU THE MOST AND THAT YOU ARE MOST EXCITED FOR WHERE YOU CAN GO WITH IT?

>> YEAH. I MEAN, WE LOVE MAKING CLOTHES. I THINK THAT'S THE MOST EXCITING PART. WE HAVE A REALLY GREAT BUSINESS WITH SHOES AND BAGS THAT ARE GROWING AND I LOVE ACCESSORIES. SO THAT'S SOMETHING I LIKE.

>> ANYTHING THAT WE CAN LOOK OUT FOR COMING DOWN THE LINE?

>> NOTHING TOO CRAZY. WE JUST OPENED A BEAUTIFUL STORE IN NEW YORK. IT'S CALLED THE CURATED NYC ON 54th AND 5th. BEAUTIFUL.

>> THAT'S A PRIME AREA.

>> IT'S AMAZING. IT WAS LIKE MY LITTLE DREAM WORLD. SO IT'S REALLY NICE.

>> CONGRATULATIONS.

>> THANK YOU. COME VISIT.

>> LET'S GO TO THE AUDIENCE REALLY QUICK FOR SOME QUESTIONS.

>> HI.

>> HOW ARE YOU?

>> WHO WOULD YOU SAY IS YOUR CELEBRITY FASHION INSPIRATION?

>> OH, GOSH. I DON'T KNOW. EVERYONE. I GET REALLY JUST INSPIRED BY WHATEVER IS HAPPENING. YOU KNOW, I DON'T KNOW, WE DRESS CARDI A LOT, AND IT'S REALLY FUN BECAUSE SHE'S CRAZY AND WEARS ANYTHING. AND THAT'S EXCITING. YEAH, BUT IT REALLY IS A RANGE. I LOVE THAT, YOU KNOW, I CAN -- I LOVE DRESSING ALL DIFFERENT TYPES OF PEOPLE. I REALLY DO. I CAN HAVE WHOOPI GOLDBERG, AND CYNTHIA NIXON, WHO IS RUNNING FOR GOVERNOR AND CARDI. IT'S FUN.

>> THANK YOU.

>> THAT'S SOMETHING THAT MAKES YOU VERY DISTINCT AS A DESIGNER. YOUR CLIENTELE IS SO DIVERSE.

>> YEAH, IT IS.

>> NEXT QUESTION.

>> HI, CHRISTIAN, MICHAEL DAVID. I'VE BEEN FOLLOWING YOUR WORK SENSE “PROJECT RUNWAY,” SO CONGRATULATIONS.

>> THANK YOU.

>> YOU'VE DRESSED SO MANY CELEBRITIES OVER THE YEARS. HOW DO YOU GO ABOUT DRESSING A SPECIFIC PERSON AND WHAT INSPIRES YOU WHEN THEY CONTACT YOU TO ACTUALLY GET A DESIGN FOR THEM SPECIFICALLY?

>> YEAH, DEPENDING ON REALLY WHAT IT IS, I REALLY KIND OF -- I JUST ASK A LOT OF QUESTIONS. I'M KIND OF ANNOYING ABOUT IT. WHAT ARE YOU DOING, WHAT ARE YOU INTO? AND I ASK A LOT OF THINGS THAT PEOPLE DON'T LIKE. SAYING LIKE WOULD YOU EVER WEAR THIS COLOR? A LOT OF RESPONSES ARE PASSIONATE. AND THEN I TRY TO PUSH THOSE RESPONSES. LIKE I WOULD NEVER WEAR PURPLE. SOMETIMES I LIKE TO PUSH THE IDEA OF WHAT PEOPLE THINK THEY WANT TO DO OR WANT TO TRY. AT LEAST THAT'S WHAT IS EXCITING PART OF IT FOR ME. I JUST WANTED TO MAKE THE SAME THING OVER AND OVER AGAIN. HOPEFULLY -- TRUST ME, PEOPLE GIVE ME MORE THAN I NEED TO KNOW. THEY LOVE TO TELL A STORY. IT'S EXCITING. BUT SOMETIMES IT'S LIKE ALL RIGHT, WE'RE JUST MAKING A DRESS, KEEP IT MOVING.

>> HOW OFTEN DO YOU LOOK AT A PERSON AND IT'S LIKE, I GOT IT?

>> NO, NEVER. I LIKE TO REALLY KIND OF KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON A LITTLE BIT. I THINK ALSO YOU CAN TELL WHEN PEOPLE ARE UNCOMFORTABLE WITH WHAT THEY'VE DONE. ALSO TRYING. WE TRY. IN A FITTING, I HAVE PEOPLE TRY ON LIKE 50 THINGS. JUST TO NARROW IT DOWN AND HAVE FUN. OR SOMETIMES THEY'LL TRY THREE THINGS AND THEY'RE DONE. YOU JUST NEVER KNOW.

>> ONE LAST QUESTION BEFORE WE GO.

>> HI. I'M WONDERING WHAT HAS BEEN THE BIGGEST SURPRISE THAT YOU FOUND WHILE LEARNING ABOUT THE STRUGGLE OR MAKING THIS COLLECTION?

>> MAYBE JUST ABOUT IN GENERAL, LIKE THE BUSINESS OF IT ALL. THE BIGGEST CHALLENGE THAT YOU REALLY FIND IS THAT YOU CAN ALWAYS HAVE A GREAT COLLECTION, YOU CAN ALWAYS HAVE -- PUT YOUR WORK OUT THERE, BUT IT'S ABOUT GETTING CUSTOMERS TO COME BACK SEASON AFTER SEASON TO LIKE, REALLY HAVE A FOLLOWING IN SOME WAY. YOU CAN ALWAYS GET SOMEBODY TO BUY SOMETHING ONCE. BUT TO HAVE THEM COMING BACK AND BE RESPONSIVE TO YOUR WORK OVER TIME, THAT'S LIKE THE TRUE CHALLENGE OF IT, BUT A FUN ONE.

>> IT WAS REALLY GREAT CHATTING WITH YOU.

>> THANK YOU SO MUCH.

>> LIKE I SAID, YOU FOR ME REALLY MAKE WOMEN FEEL BEAUTIFUL IN THEIR CLOTHING. A LOT OF THAT IS THEIR CONFIDENCE. OF COURSE, THAT MEANS YOU HAVE TO FEEL CONFIDENT WITH THEIR CLOTHES. SO GO TO, CHECKYOURSWEAT.COM.

>> GIVE IT UP FOR CHRISTIAN SIRIANO! [APPLAUSE]

>> THANK YOU SO MUCH.

Browse Collection