Lead with Pride

12.03.18

Ben Whishaw Talks His Role In Disney's "Mary Poppins Returns"

In Disney’s "Mary Poppins Returns," an all-new original musical and sequel, Mary Poppins is back to help the next generation of the Banks family find the joy and wonder missing in their lives following a personal loss. Emily Blunt (“A Quiet Place,” “The Girl on the Train”) stars as the practically-perfect nanny with unique magical skills who can turn any ordinary task into an unforgettable, fantastic adventure and Lin-Manuel Miranda (“Hamilton,” “Moana”) plays her friend Jack, an optimistic street lamplighter who helps bring light—and life—to the streets of London. Actor Ben Whishaw joined BUILD to chat about the highly-anticipated movie.

View Transcript

>>> HELLO, WORLD. WHAT IS UP? WELCOME TO BUILD. I'M YOUR HOST MATT FORTE, WE ARE LIVE AT THE BUILD STUDIO IN NEW YORK CITY. FOLKS, WE ARE ALMOST THERE. IN TWO SHORT WEEKS ON DECEMBER 19th, THE GREAT "MARY POPPINS RETURNS." IT'S THE NAME OF THE MOVIE. SEE WHAT I DID THERE? I GOT A CHANCE TO SEE THIS LAST WEEK. I CAN'T SAY ENOUGH GOOD THINGS ABOUT IT. THE EMBARGO HASN'T BEEN LIFTED YET. EMILY BLUNT IS ABOUT AS CLOSE TO PERFECT AS YOU GET. IT'S NOT JUST HER. EVERYBODY IN THIS FILM THE DELIVERING 110%. YOU HAVE SEEN HIM IN CLOUD ATLAS, BOND AS "Q." YOU WILL RECOGNIZE HIS VOICE IN PADDINGTON HE VOICED PADDINGTON. STARTING DECEMBER 19th YOU'LL GET TO SEE HIM AS MICHAEL BANKS ALL GROWN UP. BUT IN THE MEANTIME RIGHT NOW, THE GREAT BEN WHISHAW IS IN THE BUILDING. HOW DO WE FEEL ABOUT BEN? THANK YOU. THAT'S HOW I FEEL. THAT'S HOW I FEEL. PERFECT. WE ARE GOING BRING HIM OUT IN A SECOND, BUT BEFORE WE DO, WE ARE GOING TAKE A QUICK LOOK AT THE FILM. LET'S GO AHEAD AND RUN THAT CLIP. \M\M

>> I HONESTLY CAN'T REMEMBER WHY WE LEFT MOST OF THIS STUFF TO BEGIN WITH.

>> DON'T YOU REMEMBER THAT KITE? WE USED TO LOVE FLYING THAT WITH MOTHER AND FATHER.

>> THOSE DAYS ARE LONG BEHIND ME. \M\M

>> AS I LIVE AND BREATHE.

>> I WAS FLYING A KITE AND IT GOT CAUGHT IN AN ALLEY.

>> MARY POPPINS? YOU CAME BACK.

>> YOU SEEM HARDLY TO HAVE AGED AT ALL! REALLY? ONE NEVER DISCUSSES A WOMAN'S AGE, MICHAEL. WOULD HAVE HOPED I TAUGHT YOU BETTER. \M\M

>> WHAT BRINGS YOU HEAR AFTER ALL THIS TIME?

>> THE SAME THING THAT BROUGHT ME HEAR THE FIRST TIME. I'VE COME TO LOOK AFTER THE BANKS CHILDREN.

>> US?

>> YES, YOU TOO.

>> WERE ABOUT TO LOSE OUR HOME. EVERYTHING'S FALLEN TO PIECES AFTER LOSING YOUR MOTHER.

>> I MISS MOTHER. \M NOTHING'S GONE FOREVER ONLY OUT OF PLACE \M \M\M

>> IT'S A GOOD THING YOU COME ALONG WHEN YOU DID, MARY POPPINS.

>> HOW DID YOU DO THAT?

>> DO WHAT? \M\M

>> SO YOU HAVE BEEN OFF FILLING THE CHILDRENS' HEADS WITH STUFF OF NONSENSE?

>> YOU HAVE FORGOTTEN WHAT IT'S LIKE TO BE A CHILD. \M\M

>> EVERYTHING IS POSSIBLE.

>> EVEN THE IMPOSSIBLE.

>> OFF WE GO.

>> IT'S SO MAGICAL. LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, THE GREAT BEN WHISHAW RIGHT HERE. DO IT UP!

>> I WAS SAYING A LOT OF THIS BACKSTAGE AND I'LL SAY IT AGAIN. CONGRATULATIONS. THIS FILM IS A DELIGHT. IT'S ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL. I’M EXCITED TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT IT. HOW ARE YOU HOLDING UP? IT'S A BIG DEAL, A BIG MOVIE, A BIG PROCESS. HAVE YOU HAD A LONG DAY?

>> YES.

>> YOU'RE WEARING IT GREAT.

>> THANKS.

>> YOU DO LOOK AMAZING BUT I WON'T LIE, I'M A LITTLE DISAPPOINTED YOU DIDN'T KEEP THE MUSTACHE.

>> NO.

>> COME ON.

>> I'M NOT A FAN OF A MUSTACHE.

>> YOU DIDN'T LIKE IT? WAS THAT A REAL MUSTACHE?

>> IT WAS, YES. IS IT MUSTACHE OR MUSTACHE?

>> I'VE HEARD BOTH. HOW DID YOU SAY IT?

>> I THINK I SAY MUSTACHE.

>> LIKE EVERYTHING ELSE YOURSELF GOING SAY FOR THE NEXT 30 MINUTES, INFINITELY SOUNDS BETTER. DID YOU SHAVE IT RIGHT AWAY?

>> YEAH, I LIKE A BEARD, BUT NOT A MUSTACHE.

>> YOU'RE VERY SET IN YOUR WAYS. CONGRATULATIONS AGAIN. I'M SO HAPPY YOU'RE HERE. FRIDAY YOU HAD THE PREMIERS. WAS IT FRIDAY? THE BIG WORLD PREMIER?

>> I LOST TRACK OF ALL THE DAYS. HAPPENED AT SOME POINT IN THE PAST.

>> IT'S BEEN A WHIRLWIND FOR SURE. AROUND THIS WEEKEND, THE WORD HAS GOTTEN OUT. IT'S NOT JUST PEOPLE THAT HAVE SEEN IT IN LITTLE ROOMS IN PRIVATE. YOU HAVE HAD THE BIG PREMIER. FLOOD GATES ARE OPEN. PEOPLE LOVE IT. WAS THAT YOUR FIRST TIME SEEING THE FILM IN FULL? DO YOU REMEMBER?

>> I SAW A ROUGH CUT IN JANUARY, BUT IT WAS THE FIRST TIME THAT I HAD SEEN EVERYTHING COMPLETED. SO THE ANIMATION IS THIS INCREDIBLE 2-D HAND PAINTED ANIMATION THAT IN JANUARY HADN'T BEEN COMPLETED.

>> YOU GOT SEE THAT FOR THE FIRST TIME. THE STORY OF JOHN KRASINSKI'S REACTION WAS EMOTIONAL. AS WE ALL WILL. IS IT HARD FOR YOU TO WATCH YOURSELF?

>> I COULDN'T CRY BECAUSE IT'S TOO PECULIAR TO SEE YOUR OWN FACE UP THERE, BUT I DID ENJOY IT.

>> I DO LOVE THE IDEA OF YOU SOBBING AT A GIANT IMAGE OF YOUR OWN HEAD, THOUGH. THAT IS WEIRD.

>> I WOULD REALLY BE WORRIED FOR MY OWN MENTAL HEALTH IF I REACTED LIKE THAT, BUT I COULD SEE IT'S A BEAUTIFUL FILM.

>> HAVE YOU ALWAYS BEEN LIKE THAT? NOT JUST IN THIS FILM, BUT IN GENERAL?

>> I DON'T LIKE WATCHING MYSELF. I FIND IT EXCRUCIATING.

>> WHY IS THAT? BECAUSE YOU'RE SECOND GUESSING YOURSELF?

>> YOU SEE ALL THE STUFF YOU SHOULD HAVE DONE AND DIDN'T DO. IT'S TOO LATE TO DO AGAIN. I FIND IT QUITE -- NOT MY FAVORITE THING.

>> YOU DON'T EVEN SEE A VALUE IN -- LIKE ALMOST THE SAME WAY A TEAM WILL WATCH GAME DAY FOOTAGE? I MESSED UP THERE, NEXT TIME I COULD COME AROUND.

>> I SEE THAT'S SORT OF USEFUL, YEAH.

>> STILL NOT YOUR THING.

>> NO, BUT YOU HAVE TO -- YOU DO HAVE TO WATCH AND FACE REALITY.

>> YEAH, THAT'S A PART OF THE GAME. LET ME ASK YOU THIS -- THE REACTIONS ARE OVERWHELMINGLY POSITIVE. THE ABOUT TO COME OUT. VERY CLOSE. ARE YOU AT A POINT IN THE PROCESS NOW, PEOPLE AREAL FAING IN LOVE WITH IT, EXPECTATIONS ARE HIGH. CAN YOU EXHALE NOW?

>> I THINK SOMETHING ON THE 14th OF DECEMBER I CAN EXHALE. AND YEAH, SORT OF STOP TALKING ABOUT MARY POPPINS FOREVER.

>> UNTIL SHE RETURNS AGAIN.

>> UNTIL SHE COMES BACK AGAIN, YEAH.

>> VERY STRONG POSSIBILITY HAVING SEEN THIS.

>> YEAH.

>> LET ME ASK YOU ABOUT WHEN YOU WERE MAKING THIS. YOU'RE NO STRANGER TO THE FRANCHISE, BUT THESE ICONIC -- WE HAVE SEEN YOU IN THE JAMES BOND ADVENTURES. GOT TO VOICE PADDINGTON. WAS THERE A WAY IN WHICH YOU NAVIGATE THE EXTERNAL PRESSURES OF AN OVERZEALOUS FAN BASE OR JUST THE CHARACTER, THE WEIGHT IN THE WORLD, DOES ANY OF THAT PLAY INTO WHEN YOU'RE DECIDING TO COME ON BOARD? IS THAT SOMETHING YOU HAVE TO WORK AROUND WHILE YOU'RE MAKING IT?

>> UM -- I -- IN A WAY, YOU HAVE TO FIND A KIND OF -- YOU HAVE TO FIND A SORT OF INDIFFERENCE IN YOURSELF, YOU KNOW? YOU HAVE SO SORT OF NOT CARE, AND YOU HAVE TO TRUST YOUR OWN INSTINCT, BECAUSE, YEAH, I'VE DONE LOTS OF THINGS THAT PEOPLE HAVE ALREADY STRONG OPINIONS AND IDEAS ABOUT. NOT JUST ON FILM, BUT IN LIKE THEATER AND STUFF. YOU PLAY CHARACTERS THAT MANY OTHER PEOPLE HAVE PLAYED BEFORE YOU. YOU BUILD UP A MUSCLE, I GUESS, YOU TURN THE SOUND DOWN AND CAN'T LET IT COME TOO MUCH INTO YOUR HEAD. THEN YOU HAVE TO TRUST YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING.

>> YOU GUYS LOOKED LIKE YOU WERE HAVING A BLAST WHILE YOU WERE MAKING THIS FILM. EVERYBODY IS HAVING A GREAT TIME ON SCREEN. DID THIS FEEL ANY DIFFERENT -- YOU SHUT THINGS OUT IN THE PAST. WAS IT EASIER THIS GO AROUND BECAUSE OF THE PEOPLE YOU HAD AROUND YOU OR THE PROPERTY ITSELF? ANYTHING LIKE THAT? LIKE A TANGIBLE THING LIKE, THIS IS DIFFERENT THAN WHAT WE HAVE DONE BEFORE.

>> WE HAD THIS AMAZING DIRECTOR, ROB MARSHALL WHO WAS SO KIND AND SO INSPIRING AND SO METICULOUS IN THE WAY HE WORKED YOU COULDN'T REALLY -- YOU JUST TRUSTED HIM IMPLICITLY THAT HE WAS GOING TO MAKE A GREAT FILM. HE WAS DETERMINED. HE WAS DRIVEN. THAT HELPED A LOT. SOMEONE LIKE EMILY AND LIN, ACTUALLY, THEY'RE TO CONFIDENT -- OR APPEAR TO BE -- I THINK THEY ARE THOUGH, GENUINELY, AND THAT LIFTS EVERYONE UP, YOU KNOW? THEY JUST SEIZE THE MOMENT, WHICH IS WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO, YEAH.

>> IF THEY'RE NOT LEGITIMATELY CONFIDENT, WHAT HOPE DO WE HAVE AS MERE HUMANS? AS I WAS SAYING EVERYONE IN THIS FILM IS FANTASTIC AND YOU GUYS ALL DO SUCH A GREAT JOB. EMILY MORTIMER PLAYS YOUR SISTER IN THE FILM. BETWEEN TAKES THERE WAS GOSSIP AND CHATTER BETWEEN THE TWO OF YOU. WHAT WAS THAT ABOUT?

>> BECAUSE IT'S SUCH A BEAUTIFUL WORLD, THE WORLD OF MARY POPPINS WHERE EVERYTHING IS SO LOVELY, REALLY, WE FOUND WE WERE UTTERLY FILTHY THE MINUTE WE COMPLETELY -- COMPLETELY FILTHY AND DISGUSTING THE MINUTE WE STEPPED OFF. WE WOULD TALK ABOUT THINGS WE WON'T TALK ABOUT NOW.

>> IT'S THE INTERNET. YOU CAN SAY ANYTHING.

>> I WON'T. IT'S A CHILDREN'S FILM.

>> THAT'S HILARIOUS. THE PENDULUM WOULD SWING THE OTHER WAY.

>> WE MOANED. WE MOANED EVEN THOUGH WE WERE THE LUCKIEST PEOPLE ON THE PLANET.

>> DID YOU SIT IN THAT AND ACKNOWLEDGE THAT THOUGH, WHILE YOU WERE MOANING SAY, I'M COMPLAINING, BUT OF COURSE I'M IN MARY POPPINS' WORLD?

>> YEAH, IT'S DONE IN GOOD HUMOR, IF YOU SEE WHAT I MEAN.

>> NO, OF COURSE. I WAS MENTIONING THIS EARLIER -- I HADN'T SEEN -- THIS IS ONE OF THOSE MOVIES I WATCHED A TON WHEN I WAS A KID. I HAD THE TAPE. I WATCHED IT OVER AND OVER AGAIN. FOR NO PARTICULAR REASON I HADN'T SEEN THE ORIGINAL IN 20 YEARS. I THREW THE FILM ON. IT WAS CRAZY. I FOUND MYSELF LIKE, MR. BANKS IS JUST TRYING TO GET THE JOB DONE. I WAS CONNECTING WITH THE ADULTS, WHICH HAD NEVER HAPPENED TO ME BEFORE. IT WAS REALLY SCARY. WHAT WAS IT LIKE FOR YOU?

>> ONE OF THE BIG REASONS BEHIND ME WANTING TO DO IT IS I WAS OBSESSED WITH IT AS A CHILD. YEAH, NO, I ABSOLUTELY -- I DRESSED UP AT MARY POPPINS. I KNEW EVERY SINGLE SONG. I WOULD PERFORM IT FOR ANYBODY WHO WOULD STOP AND WATCH. YOU KNOW, I ALWAYS -- IT WAS THE FIRST THING THAT REALLY KIND OF ACTIVATED MY IMAGINATION, AND I THINK POSSIBLY EVEN INSPIRED ME TO WANT TO ACT, IF YOU SEE WHAT I MEAN. YEAH, SO IT'S REALLY DEEP IN MY HEART THIS THING, MARY POPPINS. SO I COULDN'T RESIST IT WHEN I GOT ASKED TO MEET ROB. UM, IT WAS TOO STRANGE THAT IT CAME BACK INTO MY LIFE, TOO MUCH OF A COINCIDENCE. I HAD TO SAY YES.

>> LET ME GO BACK TO AN EARLIER QUESTION, SORT OF THE ABOUT BLOCKING OUT THE FANS AND STUFF LIKE THAT. WHEN YOU FOUND OUT MARY POPPINS WAS RETURNING AND YOU COULD BE A PART OF IT, FOR SOMEONE WHO IT WAS IMPORTANT WERE YOU PROTECTIVE OR CONCERNED?

>> DEFINITELY. BECAUSE IT WOULD HAVE BEEN APPALLING TO ME IF WE MADE A FILM THAT WAS NOT -- YOU CANNOT TOUCH THE FIRST FILM, BUT YOU CAN HOPEFULLY MAKE SOMETHING THAT'S LIKE A COMPANION PIECE TO IT AND WORTHY -- THAT STANDS ON ITS OWN AND I FEEL WE HAVE DONE THAT. I FEEL PROUD. BUT I WAS, YEAH -- I WAS FEARFUL FOR SURE BECAUSE IT WOULD HAVE BEEN AWFUL TO DO THAT. AS I SAID EARLIER, I FEEL CONFIDENT WITHIN ROB AND EVERYBODY ELSE WHO WAS INVOLVED, YEAH.

>> THIS IS A SILLY QUESTION TO MAKE YOU THINK AND HAVE TO ANSWER, BUT WAS THERE A MOMENT THAT STANDS OUT WHERE THAT CONFIDENCE KICKED IN? WAS IT A SINGLE MEETING, A CONVERSATION, WAS IT EMILY BLUNT'S GOING TO DO IT TOO? LIKE, OH, EMILY'S ON BOARD. WAS THERE A THING THAT WAS LIKE, THIS WILL WORK?

>> I ALWAYS KNEW EMILY BLUNT WOULD BE AMAZING BECAUSE SHE'S AN AMAZING FOUR-STAR ACTOR. WE HAD AN EIGHT-WEEK REHEARSAL PERIOD, WHICH, FOR A FILM IS UNHEARD OF. I DON'T GET THAT FOR PLAYS OFTEN. TOWARDS THE END OF THE REHEARSAL PERIOD, WE HAD DO A PRESENTATION FOR DISNEY WHEN WE ALL SORT OF SAT AROUND THE PIANO AND, YOU KNOW, UNPLUGGED, DID THE SONGS. SOME OF THE SONGS. AND THEN I THOUGHT, OH, THIS COULD BE REALLY, REALLY GREAT. I GOT A LITTLE TINGLE OF SOMETHING.

>> YEAH, THE ENERGY IN THE ROOM WAS JUST THAT MOMENT IN TIME.

>> YEAH, OH, THIS FEELS GENUINELY LIKE IT'S GOT MAGIC IN IT.

>> WHERE WOULD YOU RANK YOUR -- YOU HAVE A BEAUTIFUL SONG EARLY IN THE FILM, THAT IN A MOVIE DESIGNED TO MAKE PEOPLE FEEL PURE JOY, IT KIND OF INCREASES THE PALETTE IF YOU WILL. IT'S A DIFFERENT SONG, SETTING UP THE STORY. IT'S WONDERFULLY PERFORMED AND BEAUTIFULLY WRITTEN. WHERE WOULD YOU PUT YOUR PERSONAL CONFIDENCE LEVEL GOING IN, I LOOKED HIGH AND LOW AND I COULDN'T VERIFY, WAS THIS YOUR FIRST OR SECOND TIME SINGING ON CAMERA?

>> I SANG IN A FILM OF "THE TEMPEST," A SHAKESPEARE FILM, BUT IT WASN'T A MUSICAL FILM. IT WAS SHAKESPEARE, SO THIS WAS THE FIRST MUSICAL I HAD EVER DONE, AND THIS FEELS DIFFERENT.

>> WERE YOU NERVOUS AT ALL GOING IN? NO, BECAUSE THIS WAS YOUR FIRST MUSICAL, BUT YOU TAPPED INTO THOSE SKILLS BEFORE, SO YOU KNEW WHAT TO ACTIVATE.

>> STILL IT FELT LIKE SOMETHING I HADN'T DONE BEFORE. ROB WAS BRILLIANT AT THAT, HELPING ME WITH THAT, BECAUSE I WAS WORRIED ABOUT THINGS LIKE HITTING THE NOTE AND STUFF. JUST SINGING.

>> IT'S A BIG PART.

>> YEAH. BUT HE WAS LIKE, DON'T WORRY ABOUT THE NOTES. JUST DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT EVEN SOUNDING NICE. HE SAID, JUST BE THE CHARACTER. JUST THINK ABOUT THIS GUY AND WHAT'S HE THINKING IN THIS ROOM? AND SO YOU JUST -- AND THEN YOU JUST -- IT'S LIKE A CONTINUATION OF HIS LIFE. HE SAID, THAT'S HOW YOU SING A SONG. I THOUGHT THAT WAS BRILLIANT ADVICE.

>> RIGHT. WOULD YOU GUYS DO THAT LIVE IN THE MOMENT AND THEN GO BACK AND DO MULTIPLE TAKES SO YOU COULD HIT THE NOTE? YOU WANT TO GET -- WHAT WAS THAT PROCESS LIKE FOR YOU? WAS THAT ALIEN TO YOU AS WELL?

>> YEAH, WELL, WE HAD -- WE PRERECORDED ALL THE SONGS SO PART OF THE TIME WE WOULD JUST SING ALONG TO THE TRACK THEY WOULD PLAY. BUT THEN SOMETIMES HE'D PUT ONE OF THOSE THINGS IN MY YEAR, SO I HAD THE TIMING BUT I WOULD SING IT LIVE.

>> NINE TIMES OUT OF TEN IT LOOKS LIVE. IT'S SUPPOSED TO LOOK LIVE. BUT THERE'S SOMETHING ABOUT YOUR PERFORMANCE AND A LOT OF PERFORMANCES WHERE I WOULD GO, IS THIS LIVE? THAT'S A SIN KRO NICETY THERE. OUT OF ALL THE FILMS, PADDINGTON, JAMES BOND, MARY POPPINS -- THESE ARE ALL ICONIC BRITISH FRANCHISES ARE YOU DOING DR. WHO?

>> YEAH, I'M DOING -- NO, IT'S COMPLETELY RANDOM. I'M AS SURPRISED AS ANYBODY. I DIDN'T EXPECT IT TO HAPPEN, BUT OBVIOUSLY IT'S AN AMAZING PRIVILEGE TO BE APART OF THAT KIND OF THING THAT PEOPLE ACTUALLY WATCH, YOU KNOW? YEAH.

>> YEAH, IT'S ALWAYS NICE WHEN YOU DO A THING AND PEOPLE WATCH IT.

>> IT'S NICE, YEAH.

>> WE ARE GOING TO GO TO THE AUDIENCE IN JUST A SECOND. WE HAVE A COUPLE OF QUESTIONS. WHAT'S HARDER WATCHING YOURSELF PERFORM OR HEARING YOURSELF SING?

>> NEITHER.

>> HERE'S A CLIP. WE GOT -- NO, I'M KIDDING. THAT WOULD BE SO MEAN. A COUPLE OF QUESTIONS OUT THERE. OUR FIRST ONE IS GOING TO COME FROM RIGHT OVER THERE.

>> HI, BEN, THANKS FOR COMING ESPECIALLY AFTER THE WHIRLWIND PAST FEW DAYS. YOU TALKED ABOUT HOW MUCH THIS FILM MEANS TO YOU IN THE PAST AS A CHILD. WAS THERE ANY MOMENT IN THE FILM WHERE YOU WERE WATCHING IT FOR THE FIRST TIME WHERE YOU FELT TRANSPORTED BACK TO THE CHILD YOU AND IT HIT YOU THAT THIS IS WHAT YOU'RE OFFERING TODAY'S YOUNG AUDIENCES?

>> WELL, I WAS AWARE OF THAT THE WHOLE TIME. IN A WAY, THAT'S WHAT I FELT MOST PASSIONATELY ABOUT, IF I COULD BE IN SOMETHING THAT WOULD MAKE YOUNG PEOPLE NOW FEEL WHAT I FELT, THAT WAS ALWAYS THE THING THAT WAS KEEPING MY MIND ON, YOU KNOW? I CAN'T REMEMBER A PARTICULAR MOMENT I FELT IT, BECAUSE UNLIKE THE CHARACTER IN THE FILM, I CAN'T REMEMBER WHAT IT'S LIKE TO BE 3 OR 4 YEARS OLD. ADMIRE THOSE PEOPLE THAT HAVE THAT CHILD LIKE THING, BUT I DON'T HAVE THAT.

>> WERE YOU DIVERTING YOUR EYES?

>> I'VE GOTTEN BETTER. YOU JUST FACE IT. BUT I SQUIRM A BIT, YEAH. BECAUSE YOU NEVER LOOK OR SOUND LIKE HOW YOU THINK YOU LOOK OR SOUND, SADLY.

>> WHICH IS A REAL BUMMER.

>> IT'S A REAL SHAME.

>> WE ARE GOING TO GO TO OUR NEXT QUESTION IN A SECOND. THANK YOU FOR THAT. BUTS PROING THE GRAVITY TO WHAT YOU WERE DOING, IN BETWEEN THE TAKES, IN BETWEEN YOU AND EMILY MORTIMER CRACKING JOKES WERE YOU POKING AROUND THE SET AND EXPLORING THAT THE WORLD IS NOW REAL? THE INCREDIBLE 2-D, BUT THE RECREATION OF THE HOW HAS IT'S BEAUTIFUL.

>> I DID POKE AROUND, AND IT WAS WONDERFUL, BECAUSE THEY FOR INSTANCE HAD LITTLE TINY PHOTOGRAPH PORTRAITS OF OUR PARENTS ON THE MANTELPIECE. THERE'S NO CLOSE UP OF THEM. YOU DON'T EVEN SEE IT. BUT THEY WERE THERE AND IT'S BEAUTIFUL. FELT VERY RICH, VERY REAL, YEAH.

>> OKAY, WE HAVE TWO MORE. NEXT QUESTION IS COMING FROM RIGHT OVER HERE. GO FOR IT.

>> WHAT WAS IT LIKE REINVENTING AND CARRYING ON SUCH A CLASSIC CHARACTER LIKE MICHAEL BANKS ESPECIALLY BECAUSE YOU WERE SUCH A BIG FAN OF THE FILM?

>> UM, I SUPPOSE IN A WAY I JUST DECIDED I HAD TO MAKE IT MY OWN, YOU KNOW? I HAVE TO -- I HAD TO FIND IT IN MYSELF. UM, FOR BETTER OR WORSE. IT'S GOING TO BE MY CREATION. SO I WATCHED, AS WE SAID, I WATCHED THE FIRST ONE AGAIN. AND ACTUALLY STUDIES THE ACTORS WHO PLAYED THE PARENTS, WHO I THINK GIVE AMAZING PERFORMANCES. THEY'RE REALLY, REALLY SPECIAL AND VERY SKILLED. SO I WATCHED IT FOR THEM. AND ALSO TO THINK ABOUT WHAT WOULD THIS BOY HAVE GROWN INTO IF HE HAD PARENTS LIKE THAT? YEAH, SO -- AND THEN THERE WAS SO MUCH ON THE PAGE THAT WAS JUST -- THE WRITING WAS SO GOOD. I THINK PEOPLE SOMETIMES UNDERESTIMATE OR UNDERVALUE THAT, BUT IF IT'S WRITTEN THERE, YOU GOT A GIFT. YOU'RE ALREADY RUNNING KIND OF THING.

>> GREAT QUESTION, THANK YOU. WE'VE GOT ONE MORE. ONE MORE QUESTION AND IT'S COMING FROM RIGHT HERE. GO FOR IT.

>> HI, I'M A BIG FAN OF YOUR WORK. I'VE SEEN YOU ON STAGE AND IN A LOT OF FILMS AND ON TV. I'M WONDERING WHAT PART HAS BEEN THE MOST CHALLENGING ROLE, DO YOU THINK? AND ALSO, HOW DO YOU DECIDE WHEN YOU GET A SCRIPT, I REALLY NEED TO DO THIS PART, I WANT THIS PART? WHAT MAKES YOU DECIDE THAT?

>> UM, WHAT'S BEEN THE MOST CHALLENGING? I DID A PLAY HERE TWO AND A HALF YEARS AGO, A PLAY CALLED "THE CRUCIBLE" BY ARTHUR MILLER IN WHICH I FELT COMPLETELY MISCAST. WELSH I WAS, BUT I WAS SO DETERMINED TO DO IT, AND I WAS -- I WAS HAVING ANXIETY ATTACKS ABOUT IT BEFORE. I CAN ADMIT THAT NOW. I REALLY WAS. RIGHT UP UNTIL WE OPENED I THOUGHT, I CAN'T DO IT. THERE'S NO WAY. AND I DID DO IT AND I DID IT FOR 20 WEEKS AND I FELT VERY PROUD OF MYSELF. YEAH, SO THAT WAS PROBABLY -- I FEEL VERY CHUFFED ABOUT THAT. WHAT DO I FEEL WHEN I -- FOR ME, IF I HAVE TO THINK TOO MUCH, I PROBABLY WON'T DO IT. IT'S INSTANT FOR ME, AND IT'S IN THE INSTINCT AND IT'S TO DO WITH KIND OF WHAT OFTEN I WOULD LIKE DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT TO THE LAST THING I DID. AND JUST OFTEN A FEELING LIKE, OH, YEAH, I CAN -- I CAN -- I FEEL LIKE I'VE GOT SOMETHING TO OFFER WITH THIS CHARACTER. DO YOU SEE WHAT I MEAN? YEAH, YEAH.

>> THANK YOU FOR THAT, MAN. THAT WAS A GREAT QUESTION. TO WHAT DEGREE, IF AT ALL, DOES STAGE VERSUS SCREEN FACTOR INTO THAT DECISION-MAKING PROCESS FOR YOU, OR IS IT PURELY ABOUT THE CHARACTER YOU GET TO BE?

>> I LIKE TO JUMP FROM ONE TO THE OTHER, YEAH, BECAUSE THEY'RE REALLY DIFFERENT IN TERMS OF HOW YOU HAVE TO USE YOUR ENERGY AND YOUR CREATIVITY AND EVERYTHING, SO I LIKE THE TO AND FRO, YEAH.

>> MAN, I CAN'T THANK YOU ENOUGH. WE ARE GOING WRAP THIS UP. THANKS FOR COMING BY.

>> IT'S BEEN A PLEASURE.

>> I'LL REMIND THE WORLD, OF COURSE, THAT "MARY POPPINS RETURNS" THE 19th, GUYS, LIKE TWO WEEKS. IT'S GOING TO BE A FANTASTIC RIDE. I'M TELLING YOU. THIS MOVIE IS PURE JOY. DON'T MISS IT. I THINK THE SOUND TRACK IS NEXT WEEK AS WELL, AND THAT'S TONS OF FUN. A LOT OF GREAT STUFF GOING ON. BEN, ANYTHING ELSE YOU WANT TO PLUG?

>> NO. NO, BUT PLEASE GO SEE THE FILM. I THINK IT'S A PLEASURE.

>> IT ABSOLUTELY IS. I COULD NOT AGREE MORE. EVERYBODY, PLEASE MAKE A RIDICULOUS AMOUNT OF NOISE, JOIN ME IN THANKING BEN WHISHAW.

Browse Collection