Black-Led Films

09.26.18

Kevin Hart, Matthew Kellard & Joey Wells Discuss The Comedy Film, "Night School"

A man's life takes an unexpected turn when he accidentally blows up his place of employment. Forced to attend night school to get his GED, he must now deal with a group of misfit students and a feisty teacher who doesn't think he's too bright. Join Kevin Hart and writers Matthew Kellard and Joey Wells as they tell us all about the new comedy, "Night School."

View Transcript

>> HEY, EVERYONE, WELCOME TO "BUILD". I'M YOUR HOST BRITTANY JONES-COOPER, AND TODAY WE ARE GOING BACK TO SCHOOL. THE MOVIE “NIGHT SCHOOL” STARS COMEDY JUGGERNAUTS KEVIN HART AND TIFFANY HADDISH IN A STORY ABOUT A MAN WHO’S FORCED TO ATTEND NIGHT SCHOOL IN ORDER TO GET HIS GED AND LIFE HE'S ALWAYS WANTED. BUT ALONG THE WAY HE MEETS MISFIT STUDENTS.

>> STAR AND PRODUCER KEVIN HART, AND ALONG WITH MATTHEW KELLARD AND JOEY WELLS, BOTH WRITERS ON THE FILM. BUT FIRST HERE'S A TRAILER FROM THE FILM.

>> YOU HAVE DYSLEXIA.

>> YOU ALSO HAVE DISCALCULA

>> WE ALSO HAVE PROCESSING ORDER.

>> PROSTATE SCANNER SHE DIDN'T TOUCH MY ASS ONE TIME.

>> WELCOME TO NIGHT SCHOOL. WE NEED TO CRAM FOUR YEARS INTO ONE SEMESTER.

>> STUDY GROUP.

>> YES.

>> I THINK HIS MOMMA BREAST FED HIM BEER.

>> TEACHING THE CONVENTIONAL WAY WON'T GET IT DONE.

>> WHAT'S THE SQUARE ROOT OF 81?

>> WHAT?

>> WHAT'S THE SQUARE ROOT OF 81?

>> I DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT.

>> SQUARE ROOT, WHAT IS IT?

>> THIS WOMAN IS A BRICK WALL.

>> YOU EITHER PASS THE MIDTERM OR YOU ARE OUT OF THE CLASS.

>> I'LL HAVE TO DO THE TEST.

>> DO YOU WANT TO EXPLAIN TO ME HOW YOU GOT A PERFECT SCORE?

>> I KNOW I DIDN'T GET A PERFECT SCORE BECAUSE I MISSED A FEW ON PURPOSE.

>> SNITCHES ARE BITCHES.

>> FAST FOOD APPOINTMENT NEXT TO A STRIP CLUB.

>> I CAN SMELL COCOA BUTTER AND FRIED CHICKEN AT THE SAME TIME.

>> TAKE THE TEST.

>> YOU ARE TRYING TO GET YOUR GED?

>> YES.

>> YOU CAN GET OUT OF MY WAY.

>> READY TO GET STARTED?

>> I'M NOT PLAYING WITH YOU.

>> WHAT'S THE CAPITAL OF BELGIUM?

>> WAFFLES.

>> THAT IS NOT THE ANSWER.

>> GET BACK HERE.

>> YOU ARE STARTING TO FORCE MY HAND.

>> WATER IS COMPRISED OF?

>> RAIN.

>> TWO PART HYDROGEN, ONE PART OXYGEN.

>> YOU GOT IT RIGHT.

>> WHAT'S THE SMELL?

>> NOW THAT'S GAS.

>> YOU GOT MY LIPS ALL CHAPPED.

>> EVERYONE, PUT YOUR HANDS TOGETHER FOR KEVIN HART, MATTHEW KELLY AND JOEY WELLS. I MEAN, YOU CAN KEEP UP THE FACE MASK IF IT MAKES YOU MORE COMFORTABLE. WELCOME TO "BUILD." WE ARE EXCITED TO HAVE YOU HERE.

>> HELLO.

>> AND I'M EXCITED BECAUSE I SAW THE MOVIE LAST NIGHT BECAUSE IT WAS FUNNY AND I LOVED IT HAD A MESSAGE AND HEART. SO THIS IS FIRST FILM FROM YOUR PRODUCTION COMPANY.

>> YES, THIS IS NUMBER ONE, BIG DEAL. FIRST ONE I CAN SAY WAS BUILT FROM THE GROUND UP FROM THE PEOPLE THAT I HAVE INVESTED IN, WHICH IS MY TEAM, MAN, MY WRITER GUYS, THE INDIVIDUALS THAT HELPED SHAPE AND MOLD HARTBEAT PRODUCTIONS. SO IT WAS AN IDEA WE TURNED INTO A SCRIPT AND NOW IT'S A MOVIE THAT WAS MADE. SO EXCITING TIMES, MAN.

>> WHY WAS THIS THE FILM YOU ARE LIKE THIS IS THE FIRST ONE WE'LL DO?

>> THE IDEA IT STARTED OFF AS SOMETHING THAT WAS VERY JUST FUNNY IN MY HEAD. I WAS LIKE ADULTS GOING BACK TO HIGH SCHOOL. AND THEN AS I THOUGHT ABOUT IT, I WAS LIKE, YOU KNOW, YOU CAN'T REALLY PUT ADULTS IN HIGH SCHOOL AND MAKE IT MAKE SENSE. BUT ADULT NIGHT SCHOOL. THEN I STARTED THINKING ABOUT BREAKFAST CLUB AND WHAT MADE BREAKFAST CLUB GREAT AND FOCUS ON THOSE INDIVIDUALS, BUT CHILDISH ADULTS STILL WITH THE CHILD LIKE MENTALITY THAT MISSED MOMENTS OF HIGH SCHOOL THAT HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO REVERT BACK TO THOSE MOMENTS AND NIGHT SCHOOL COULD BE FUNNY. AND WE GOT TO VETTING IT AROUND, JOEY, MATT, MYSELF, HARRY, GLENDA WAS AROUND FOR A PART OF IT.

>> WE WERE JUST LITERALLY BOUNCING THE IDEAS OFF THE WALL. AND WE WERE LIKE HOW CAN WE JUST CREATE THE FUNNY BUT ALSO PUT A PIECE OF HEART BEHIND IT. THAT'S WHERE THE CHARACTER OF TEDDY CAME FROM AND HIS RELATIONSHIP AND HIS JOURNEY AND NOT BEING COMFORTABLE WITH WHO HE WAS AND WANTING TO TELL THE TRUTH ABOUT WHERE HE WAS REALLY IN LIFE. HE WANTED TO PUT ON A FACADE FOR A WOMAN HE LOVED. AND ULTIMATELY HE WAS PUT IN THE POSITION WHERE HE CAN NO LONGER LIVE THAT FACADE. HE HAD TO FACE REALITY AND GET HIS GED SO HE COULD MOVE ON AND DO BIGGER AND BETTER THINGS IN LIFE. AND TO GET IT WAS A TASK.

>> HAVE YOU GUYS EVER FELT LIKE TEDDY IN YOUR OWN LIVES? BECAUSE REALLY I THINK IT'S A RELATABLE THING. YOU REALLY WANT TO BE BETTER FOR THE PEOPLE AROUND YOU BUT MAYBE NOT QUITE THERE YET. WAS THAT SOMETHING RELATABLE FOR YOU GUYS?

>> I THINK SO BUT I DON'T REALLY CARE. BUT LIKE I'VE BEEN THE GUY I'VE BEEN BROKE, [ BLEEP ] IT, IT IS WHAT IT IS. BUT YOU CAN GO ET THAT IN L.A., OH, AFTER THE CLUB WE ARE ABOUT TO GO TO THIS PARTY, WELL, I'M ABOUT TO GO EAT CEREAL, I DON'T HAVE NO PARKING MONEY. BUT YOU FIND PEOPLE LIVING ABOVE THEIR MEANS. BUT WHAT'S CRAZY IN THE MOVIE YOU FIGURE THAT OUT. THAT'S HOW SOCIETY IS NOW. MOST OF US ARE ONE TO TWO PAYCHECKS FROM BEING HOMELESS, THAT'S WHAT YOU SEE THIS CHARACTER S HE'S TRYING TO LIVE THIS WHOLE LIFE, AND IT'S A LIE, AND HE'S JUST ONE SLIP AWAY FROM GOING OH [ BLEEP ] IT'S [ BLEEP ] UP.

>> YEAH, MOST JOBS ARE HUSTLES NOW MORE THAN JOBS, AND I THINK THAT'S KIND OF THE MOVIE WE WANTED TO TELL WAS ABOUT THESE KIND OF PEOPLE THAT ARE TRYING TO PUT THEIR LIVES BACK TOGETHER OR THE PEOPLE THAT ARE FORGOTTEN ABOUT, AND THE PEOPLE THAT GET IN TROUBLE AND HAVE TO CONSTRUCT THESE COMPLICATED LIES OR HUSTLES TO MAKE THEIR SITUATION WORK.

>> YEAH, YOU WANT SOMETHING THAT PEOPLE CAN RELATE TO. I THINK THE IMPORTANT THING ABOUT MAKING A MOVIE, ESPECIALLY NOW, IS PEOPLE IDENTIFYING WITH THE CONTENT. YOU KNOW, AND THIS IS A PUN THAT IS INTENDED WITH THE NAME OF MY COMPANY BEING HARTBEAT PRODUCTION WE WANT TO MAKE SURE THERE IS HEART IN THE FILM. SO IF WE CAN FIND A WAY TO HAVE MESSAGE, I CAN RELATE TO THAT, THAT MEANS WE ARE DOING OUR JOB AS WRITERS AND PRODUCERS, AND IN THIS CASE WE WANT TO EMBRACE SECOND CHANCES. PEOPLE LOOK DOWN ON QUOTE UNQUOTE SECOND CHANCE. A LOT OF PEOPLE SAY I'M NOT GOING BACK BECAUSE I DON'T WANT TO DO JUDGED. I DON'T WANT TO BE THE GUY WHO DID BAD THE FIRST TIME AND HAVE TO BE BACK HERE THE SECOND TIME. BUT SECOND TIME IS AMAZING, YOU LEARN SO MUCH FROM THE FIRST MISTAKE, YOU ARE ABLE TO APPLY YOURSELF TEN TIMES BETTER.

>> SO THE MISTAKE OF NOT GETTING HIS GED, FOR THE PROBLEMS HE NEVER WANTED TO SHARE ENDED UP A BIG WIN IN HIS LIFE WHEN HE OPENED UP AND LET THE PEOPLE KNOW WHO THE TRUE VERSION WAS, AND APPLIED HIMSELF, GOT HIS EDUCATION, AND ULTIMATELY THAT PIECE OF PAPER MADE HIM FEEL LIKE THE SKY IS NOW THE LIMIT BECAUSE I'M FINALLY BEING WHO I AM. AND THAT'S THE MESSAGE WE ARE PUTTING OUT THERE. IT'S OKAY TO BE YOURSELF. IT'S OKAY TO COMMUNICATE. IT'S OKAY TO OPEN UP. IT'S OKAY TO BE DIFFERENT. IT'S OKAY TO HAVE STRUGGLES. THEY ARE THERE FOR A REASON. PEOPLE ARE AS WELL. AND THEY ARE THERE TO HELP. THAT'S WHAT I LOVE ABOUT TIFFANY’S CHARACTER, SHE SHOWS THE TRUE MEANING OF HELP. SHE SHOWED THE TRUE MEANING OF WHAT LISTENING AND COMMUNICATION CAN ACTUALLY DO.

>> AND DESPITE NOT BEING PAID WHAT TEACHERS BEING PAID STILL GIVING EVERYTHING TO HER STUDENTS, WHETHER NIGHT SCHOOL OR SEE WITH HER INTERACTING WITH HER STUDENTS DURING THE DAY. I KNOW A LOT OF TEACHERS IN THEIR LIFE.

>> HEROES. TEACHERS ARE THE BIGGEST HEROES.

>> RIGHT NOW ESPECIALLY WHERE TEACHERS ARE PUTTING THEIR LIVELIHOODS ON THE LINE FOR PUBLIC EDUCATION THEY ARE SAVING IT FOR ALL OF US.

>> MAKING THE BIGGEST INVESTMENT. THAT'S WHAT I TELL MY KIDS YOU HAVE TO UNDERSTAND THESE TEACHERS THAT YOU SEE ON DAY-TO-DAY BASIS, THEY ARE INVESTING TIME AND ENERGY BECAUSE THEY FEEL LIKE YOU ARE THE NEXT VERSIONS OR NEXT GENERATIONS LEADERS. GROUND BREAKERS. YOU KNOW, YOU ARE THE GENERATION THAT'S GOING TO SHAKE IT UP AND CHANGE AND MAKE THIS A BETTER PLACE. THAT'S WHY THEIR TIME AND ENERGY THEY ARE SPENDING IS SO IMPORTANT BECAUSE THEY ARE SAYING IT'S GOING TO BE YOU. THEY ARE PICKING YOU. SO WHEN YOU WASTE THAT TIME, YOU REALIZE AT A CERTAIN MOMENT IN YOUR LIFE, IT'S OKAY TO GO BACK AND GET IT. IT'S OKAY TO GO BACK. BECAUSE WE ALL DON'T GET IT RIGHT. I DIDN'T GET IT RIGHT. I'M AN EXAMPLE OF THAT. I AM, WELL, IT'S WEIRD BECAUSE I AM TEDDY IN THE MOVIE BECAUSE I'M KEVIN HART BUT I'M SAYING I'M HIM, I KNOW I'M ME, I'M ME, BUT I'M HIM.

>> NO, NO-NO YOU HIM.

>> YOU GET WHAT I'M SAYING? THAT'S HIM. THIS IS ME.

>> BUT THAT IS YOU.

>> BUT I'M SAYING THAT --

>> WE KNOW THAT'S YOU. WE KNOW YOU ARE IN THE MOVIE.

>> YOU NO HE WHAT I'M SAYING?

>> BUT YOU ARE NOT THAT GUY BECAUSE YOU ARE HIM.

>> I'M ALMOST THE OTHER GUY THAT HE IS.

>> YES. WHO WAS OVER THERE.

>> WHO IS THE GUY OVER THERE. BUT YOU DIDN'T. YOU CAME BACK.

>> AM I CONFUSING IT? OR DID YOU NAIL IT IS THIS.

>> WHO AM I?

>> YOU ARE NOT HER. YOU ARE YOU.

>> YEAH.

>> TALKING AS YOU. I'M HIM.

>> CAN I HELP YOU OUT OF THIS SITUATION?

>> YEAH, JUST HELP ME.

>> LET'S GO TO THE NEXT ONE.

>> LET'S TALK ABOUT THE WRITING. I WANT TO KNOW HOW MANY DIFFERENT ITERATIONS OF THE SCRIPT? FROM THE BEGINNING WHAT WE GET TO SEE?

>> ESPECIALLY ME.

>> HERE'S THE THING, KEVIN KIND OF TOLD IT HE PITCHED IT AND IT WAS ALL ALIGNED PERFECTLY. KEVIN CAME INTO THE OFFICE, NOW WE ARE ALL WORKING ON DIFFERENT PROJECTS, KEVIN CAME IN, GUYS, HERE'S THE PROJECT, NIGHT SCHOOL GOING BACK TO SCHOOL, LET'S GET IT. THIS WAS OUR REACTION. WHAT THE [ BLEEP ]. AND THAT'S HOW IT BEGAN. HE WAS LIKE, NO, NO, IT'S GOING TO BE DOPE. LISTEN, PEOPLE ARE GOING TO SCHOOL AND STUDENTS WHO DIDN'T GO TO SCHOOL AND EXPERIENCE. SO THEY'LL DO EVERYTHING.

>> OKAY. SO LIKE NIGHT SCHOOL? OKAY.

>> THE BEST THING ABOUT WRITING IN A GROUP IS THERE ARE SO MANY DIFFERENT OPINIONS. EVERYBODY HAS A DIFFERENT OPINION. EVERYBODY HAS A DIFFERENT LEVEL OF FUNNY. SO MATT IS ALL STRUCTURE. MATT IS ACT ONE, ACT TWO, ACT THREE. HOW DOES ACT ONE END? HOW DO WE GET TO ACT TWO? HOW DOES THIS MAKE SENSE? JOEY, JOEY IS LIKE, MAN, I GET IT, BUT -- HE'S THE GUY THAT'S ALWAYS GOING TO QUESTION WHY CERTAIN RELATIONSHIPS ARE THERE AND WHY THE FUNNY CAN'T BE -- WHY WE CAN'T HAVE MORE FUNNY? LIKE JOEY AND ME ARE THE SAME, WE WANT THE FUNNY, GET TO FUNNY, THEN WE'LL GET THE STRUCTURE LATER. MATT IS GOING TO ARGUE WE NEED THE STRUCTURE THEN THE FUNNY. ME AND JOEY ARE LIKE [ BLEEP ] THAT, FUNNY FIRST.

>> TAKE YOUR CLOTHES OFF NOW.

>> WHEN DOES HE RUN INTO THE WALL AND FART?

>> AND HARRY, ALSO, TOO, SOMEWHAT DIFFERENT FROM MATT, TOO, IS ALMOST WE START AT ONE, IT SHOULD END AT 25. AFTER 25, IT SHOULD END AT 50.

>> HARRY ARGUES. HE'S GOING TO DEBATE AND QUESTION.

>> OH, MY GOD.

>> WHY SOMETHING MAKES SENSE.

>> I DON'T KNOW IF YOU HAVE A FRIEND YOU CAN GO HEY IT'S PERFECT, THEY GO, YEAH, BUT -- IT'S PERFECT, BUT WHAT'S PERFECT?

>> THE THING YOU ARE MOST EXCITED ABOUT, YOU'LL COME IN AND TELL HIM ABOUT, AND HE'LL BE LIKE, NAY.

>> WHAT IS THE VIBE LIKE IN THE WRITERS ROOM? DO YOU KEEP IT LOOSE? WHAT IS THAT VIBE LIKE?

>> WE NEED SOME FOCUS, I WON'T LIE TO YOU. BECAUSE ME AND HARRY WILL GO ON A TANGENT THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE SCRIPT. BECAUSE WHAT'S FUNNY ABOUT THIS ONE, WE HAVE ALL PEOPLE WE CAN RELATE TO. MY BROTHER IS 58 AND NOT GOING TO GET HIS GED, BUT THAT'S PART OF AS WE ARE TALKING ABOUT OUR RELATIVES WHO KEEP SAYING THEY ARE GOING TO GO BACK TO SCHOOL, AND LIKE HARRY'S BROTHER ALSO GOT HIS GED. I GOT A FAMILY MEMBER KICKED OUT AND WENT TO CONTINUATION SCHOOL. EVEN LIKE TIFFANY, HE REMINDS ME OF A COUNSELOR I HAD, AND SHE CAME TO ME AND SAID JOEY YOU WANT TO GO TO COLLEGE, I WAS LIKE YEAH. SHE SAID WHAT'S YOUR GPA? AND WE LOOKED AT IT AND IT WAS A 1.6. I SAID IS THAT COOL? YEAH, CLOSE THE DOOR AND WILL YOU ME TALK TO YOU. SHE CLOSED THE DOOR AND SAID WHAT THE [ BLEEP ] AND CUSSED ME OUT. BUT IT WAS A DIFFERENT WAY SHE HAD TO GET TO ME, WHICH IN THIS MOVIE YOU'LL WATCH TIFF GET TO ALL THESE PEOPLE IN HERE, IT'S NOT ALWAYS SCRIPTED LIKE HEY HOW DO I GET TO THESE STUDENTS THIS WAY? AND I HAVE TO REACH TEDDY THIS WAY. I THINK IT'S BRILLIANTLY DONE HOW SHE SAYS, ALL RIGHT, I KNOW HOW I GOT TO GET TO YOU.

>> LET'S TALK ABOUT TIFFANY. BECAUSE YOUR CHEMISTRY IS UNDENIABLE. YOU HAVE BEEN WORKING AND KNOWING EACH OTHER FOR YEARS.

>> YEARS.

>> WHAT WAS THE CASTING PROCESS LIKE THAT?

>> TIFFANY WAS MY GO TO. SHE WAS COMING OFF THE SUCCESS OF “GIRLS TRIP.” WILL PACKER PRODUCED GIRLS TRIP.

>> THE SAME DIRECTOR.

>> THE SAME DIRECTOR MALCOLM LEE. SO WHEN WE WERE DONE WITH THE WRITING PROCESS, AND I WAS TALKING TO PACKER, HE SAID, DUDE, I WANT YOU TO GO LOOK AT “GIRLS TRIP.’ BEFORE THE MOVIE CAME OUT. HE SAID I'LL SCREEN IT FOR YOU. YOU HAVE TO SEE IT BECAUSE I WANT YOU TO SEE MALCOLM. MALCOLM WILL BE GREAT. I WENT TO SEE IT. AND I WALKED OUT AND I SAID YO, TIFFANY IS OUT OF HERE. HE SAID WHAT? I SAID, DUDE, TIFFANY IS GONE. LIKE SHE'S SO GOOD IN THE MOVIE. HE SAID, I KNOW, MAN, SHE STILL HASN'T SEEN IT YET. SHE'S GOING TO BE BLOWN WHEN SHE SEES IT. I SAID DUDE I WANT TO TALK TO MALCOLM FIRST. SO MALCOLM AND I MET. AND I SAID, MALCOLM, I REALLY WOULD LOVE FOR YOU TO BE A PART THIS OF THIS. I SAW "GIRLS TRIP." YOU SHOT IT WELL. IT LOOKED GREAT I WANT YOU TO READ WHAT WE HAVE AND TELL ME IF I'M INTERESTED. ONCE I GOT MALCOLM, IT WOULD BE EASIER FOR ME TO GO AND TALK TO TIFFANY. BECAUSE THAT WAS HER FIRST BIG MOVIE. AND THAT'S THE FIRST DIRECTOR THAT SHE WORKED WITH AT THAT LEVEL. SO TO GET MALCOLM WOULD AUTOMATICALLY MAKE HER COMFORTABLE.

>> YEAH, I KNOW SHE'S GOING TO BE COMFORTABLE WITH ME, BUT I WANT HER TO ALSO RESPECT MY PROFESSIONALISM BECAUSE THIS IS THE FIRST MOVIE THAT I'M PRODUCING. SO I DON'T WANT YOU TO THINK THAT I'M INEXPERIENCED AND DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M DOING. SO I'M GOING TO GET ALL THE QUALITY PIECES TOGETHER AND THEN COME TO YOU, SO YOU GO, OH, WOW, KEVIN REALLY KNOWS WHAT HE HE'S DOING. AND WHEN I CAME TO HER I HAD IT ALL PACKAGED AND SAID I WOULD LOVE TO DO IT AND WORK WITH YOU. AN OF WE HAD TIFFANY THEN WE DID THE CAST, BECAUSE THEY WOULD BE PLAY A SIGNIFICANT PART IN THE MOVIE BUT WE WANTED THE ABILITY TO IMPROV AND GO BACK AND FORTH BECAUSE THAT'S WHERE A LOT OF THAT STUFF WOULD LIVE. WE NEEDED PEOPLE TO GO OFF THE PAGE AND ON THE PAGE.

>> I LOVE IT YOU WANTED TIFFANY TO BE COMFORTABLE WITH YOU ESPECIALLY BECAUSE SHE OWED YOU MONEY.

>> YEAH, THAT'S ANOTHER REASON.

>> I HEARD ABOUT THAT.

>> I THINK WE HAVE A VIDEO EXPLAINING WHAT WE ARE TALKING ABOUT.

>> DO YOU HAVE A VIDEO?

>> WE'LL GO TO THAT.

>> I REMEMBER YOU HAD $300 WHEN I HAD NO WHERE TO LIVE AND WANTED TO PAY YOU BACK.

>> EVERY TIME I SEE HIM I WANT TO GIVE HIM MONEY BUT HE DON'T TAKE IT.

>> SEVERAL TIMES I ASK REMEMBER THAT MONEY I GAVE YOU, IT'S CRAZY, RIGHT, I FEEL THAT'S A SEGUE I WANT IT BACK. SHE'S NEVER SAID IT.

>> ALL RIGHT, GUYS, YOU GOT MY BACK.

>> YEAH, I DON'T FEEL LIKE THIS IS THE PLACE FOR THIS. HEY, TIF, HEY, GIRL, LOOK AT YOU. WHAT'S GOING ON? WHAT'S THIS? WAIT, A MINUTE.

>> HOLD ON. HOLD ON YOU, NOW, YOU DON'T HAVE TO DO IT LIKE THIS. TIFFANY, I DIDN'T WANT THE MONEY BACK. I DON'T WANT YOU TO THINK I WOULD EVER TAKE YOUR MONEY.

>> KEEP IT.

>> I'M GOING TO KEEP IT. BUT IT'S GOING TO GIVE THOSE SPEECHES. WE CAN CUT THE PART OUT OF ME PUTTING IT IN MY POCKET. I WOULD NEVER TAKE THAT GIRL'S MONEY. HERE, TIFFANY, MAKE IT LOOK LIKE I GAVE IT BACK. [ LAUGHTER ]

>> I JUST LOVE ALL THE CREATIVE WAYS YOU GUYS HAVE PROMOTED THIS MOVIE. YOU COUNTERED BACK BY GETTING ON A DOUBLE DECKER BUS IN NEW YORK CITY AND YELLING AND TAPING THE MONEY TO THE BILLBOARD IN TIMES SQUARE.

>> I WANT TO MAKE EVERYONE PERFECTLY CLEAR. I EMBRACE MARKETING. I LOVE IT. I DON'T SEE WHY I WOULD SPEND SO MUCH TIME WITH THESE GUYS FIRST IN AN OFFICE CREATING AND WRITING, THEN GOING AND SPEND EVEN MORE TIME, MONTHS TO SHOOT A MOVIE, AND THEN WHEN IT'S TIME TO MARKET A MOVIE, SAY I DON'T HAVE TIME TO GIVE IT MY ALL. THE PURPOSE BEHIND MARKETING IS TO MAKE YOU UNDERSTAND HOW MUCH ENERGY WENT INTO THIS AND HOW GOOD I BELIEVE IT IS. BECAUSE I WANT YOU GUYS TO SEE WHAT I PUT ALL MY BLOOD SWEAT AND TEARS INTO. SO WHEN YOU SEE ALL THESE MARKETING CAMPAIGNS AND SEE ME ON THESE DOUBLE DECKER BUSES AND SEE ME ON THE BILLBOARDS, SEE ME IN THE POURING RAIN THUNDERSTORM, THAT WAS ONE. THIS WAS ALL MARKETING. BUT THIS IS WHAT YOU DO. YOU DO IT WHEN YOU BELIEVE IN WHAT YOU WORK HARD AT. I BELIEVE IN IT. SO I EMBRACE MARKETING 110%. THIS YEAR I DON'T HAVE TIME TO BE HERE. I MADE IT. I'M SLEEPING RIGHT NOW AS WE SPEAK. I'M SLEEPING.

>> DEVELOP THIS INCREDIBLE SUPER HUMAN ABILITY TO BE AWAKE WHILE HE'S SLEEPING.

>> WHILE I'M SLEEPING.

>> HE'S SNORING.

>> I HAVE A SUPER HERO THAT DOES THAT AND MAKE A MOVIE ABOUT IT. LET'S TALK ABOUT THE CAST REALLY QUICK. BECAUSE WHAT I SAID WAS TRUE ENSEMBLE IT'S HARD TO FIND THAT MANY FUNNY PEOPLE THAT CAN WORK TOGETHER. SO THAT ROMANY MALCO CHARACTER, THAT I AVOID AT EVERY HOLIDAY, RELATIVES? WHAT WAS IT LIKE?

>> EVERYTHING WAS WONDERFUL BUT ROMANY IS GOING TO BLOW YOU AWAY.

>> BEST ROLE I'VE SEEN HIM PLAY.

>> IT'S SOMETHING SPECIAL.

>> HOW WOULD YOU DEFINE IT? HERE'S THE CRAZY THING, WE WERE ONSET EVERY DAY, THE BRUSH THING.

>> YEAH.

>> IT WAS OUT OF NO WHERE.

>> HONESTLY, HIS CHARACTER WAS NOT -- IT WAS ONE OF THE I WOULD SAY IS THE LEAST DEFINED CHARACTERS ON THE PAGE.

>> YES.

>> AND HE TOOK IT AND TURNED IT INTO SO MUCH. AND WE GOT THE OPPORTUNITY TO ACTUALLY BE THERE ONSET WITH HIM TOO. SO HE WAS DEVELOPING THIS CHARACTER AS WE WOULD GO. THEN WE COULD KIND OF HUDDLE UP OFF STAGE AND JUST MAKE EACH OTHER LAUGH WITH EACH LINE TO TRY NEXT TIME. SO EACH ITERATION OF THE SCENE.

>> IT GREW.

>> HE WOULD TRY SOMETHING MORE. AND YOU'LL SEE IN HIS INTRODUCTORY SCENE, HE KIND OF GETS THE MOST SCREEN TIME BECAUSE HE JUST DID SO MUCH. SO MUCH IMPROV GOING ON IN THE PERFORMANCES.

>> BUT IT'S WEIRD. BECAUSE HE PUT IT TOGETHER. HE SHOWED UP. AND HE JUST HAD THIS WEIRD THING DOWN WITH THE WAY HE WAS TALKING. I KNOW ROMANY. SO WHEN HE SHOWED UP AND WE DID THE TABLE READING, HE WAS LIKE WHAT'S UP. HE WASN'T SAYING ALL OF THE WORD. LIKE HE WOULD LEAVE PIECES OF THE WORDSOUT. AND HE HAS A BOY JUST LIKE JOEY AND JUST BRUSHING HIS SCALP BUT NOTHING THERE.

>> AND HE HAS THE WORST MALE PATTERN BALDNESS.

>> LIKE I SHOWED UP TO THE SET THE LAST THREE WEEKS, I HAD SOMETHING ELSE I WAS WORKING ON, AND I WALKED IN, I WAS LIKE WHAT THE [ BLEEP ] IS HE BRUSHING? AND IT WAS LIKE HE IS SERIOUS. WHEN YOU WATCH IT, IT IS NOT LIKE THAT. OH, MAN, HE REALLY THINK THERE IS HAIR THERE. AND I WAS LIKE WHAT IS HE DOING? EVERYBODY IS LIKE JUST WATCH.

>> WHAT WAS THE MOST IMPROV SCENE?

>> I THINK THE CLASSROOM. BECAUSE MALCOLM I THINK IN GENERAL WORKS VERY MUCH LIKE THE SCRIPT IS THERE, BUT YOU GUYS JUST WE ARE GOING TO ROLL AND GO FOR IT. AND THERE IS THESE FEW SCENES WHERE YOU HAVE ALL THESE INCREDIBLE IMPROVISATIONAL ACTORS IN THE SAME ROOM.

>> INCLUDING TARAN KILLAM THAT PLAYS THE VILLAIN.

>> AND I THINK THAT SCENE WE SHOT ALL NIGHT.

>> THAT ONE THOUGH WITH TARAN, WE KNEW WE WANTED HIM TO EMBRACE JOE CLARK.

>> RIGHT.

>> FROM THE GATE.

>> THAT GOES ALL THE WAY BACK.

>> THE SCRIPT HAS BEEN THROUGH SEVERAL DRAFTS BUT THE ONE THING THAT WE THOUGHT WAS HILARIOUS IF IT WE HAD A WHITE PRINCIPAL THAT LOVED JOE CLARK FROM “LEAN ON ME.”

>> I HAVE PITCHED THIS THAT HE HAS “LEAN ON ME” OR PHOTO OF JOE CLARK “LEAN ON ME.”

>> IN THE BACK.

>> GOT YOUR BACK.

>> BEHIND HIS DESK AND STUFF.

>> CLEANED THE SCHOOL UP WITH MY BARE HANDS.

>> YEAH.

>> THAT'S LIKE AN ORIGINAL. THAT'S AN ORIGINAL LINE.

>> WELL, IT LOOKED LIKE YOU GUYS HAD A LOT OF FUN ONSET. I KNOW YOU HAD A YAHOO FANTASY FOOTBALL LEAGUE GOING ON.

>> DON'T WANT TO TALK ABOUT IT.

>> I KNOW YOUR TEAM IS THE EAGLES.

>> MY TEAM IS THE EAGLES, BUT FANTASY IT'S NOT.

>> NOW YOU DON'T WANT TO TALK ABOUT IT.

>> I'M NOT SHAPED UP LIKE THE EAGLES ARE RIGHT NOW. I DON'T KNOW WHAT IT IS ABOUT ME AND FANTASY FOOTBALL. I DON'T KNOW WHAT IT IS.

>> HERE'S THE THING WITH US AND FANTASY FOOTBALL, IT PLAYS A LARGE PART OF THIS COMPANY. KEVIN HAS BEEN THE WORST PLAYER FOR EVER IN OUR LEAGUE. AND ONE YEAR HE WINS IT, HE NEVER CHANGED HIS LINEUP. HE'S LIKE I'M AWFUL. ALL OF A SUDDEN KEVIN WON A GAME LIKE EIGHT GAMES STRAIGHT AND NEVER CHANGED HIS LINEUP. THIS IS [ BLEEP ] UP NOW.

>> TRUE STORY.

>> AND HE WON A CHAMPIONSHIP.

>> BUT NOW ON YAHOO I'M TRYING, LIKE I WAS TRYING BACK THEN, I'M TRYING ON THIS FANTASY FOOTBALL TEAM. WHATEVER, MAN.

>> WHO IS THE BREAK OUT PLAYER IN FANTASY FOOTBALL THIS YEAR? I OBVIOUSLY DON'T PARTICIPATE.

>> DREW BREES PUT UP AMAZING NUMBERS. DREW BREES AND MATT RYAN.

>> I HAD MATT RYAN.

>> HE'S PUT UP AMAZING NUMBERS. I GO QUARTERBACKS. THOSE ARE THE PEOPLE THAT PUT UP GREAT NUMBERS. GRANTED, I DON'T HAVE THOSE GUYS BUT THEY'VE BEEN PERFORMING VERY WELL. AND YOU GET YOUR NICE SLOT BACK. PEOPLE YOU DON'T EXPECT OVER PERFORM IN FANTASY. I'LL TELL YOU IF YOU AREN'T A FAN, YOU SHOULD BECOME ONE BECAUSE YOU WATCH THE GAMES DIFFERENTLY. WHEN YOU TRACK THEM BECAUSE YOU WANT PLAYERS TO DO CERTAIN THINGS, YOU ROOT FOR FOOTBALL DIFFERENTLY. COME ON, FIRST DOWN, FIRST DOWN. THAT'S IT. NOTHING ELSE. DON'T GO NO MORE. ALL RIGHT. DEFENSE, ALL I NEED IS ONE. STOP. YES, HOLD ON. YOU START ROOTING FOR THE GAME.

>> BUT ABOUT WHEN YOU GET IN THE SITUATION WHERE IT'S YOUR TEAM, LIKE A PLAYER FROM YOUR ACTUAL TEAM, LIKE THE EAGLES.

>> STILL GOING TO ROOT FOR FANTASY.

>> CONSTRUCT A SCENARIO. SO I PLAY FANTASY BASEBALL, AND MY TEAM IS DODGERS BUT IF I'M PLAYING SOMEONE THAT HAS A DODGERS ON HIS TEAM, WELL IF HE DOES BAD AND THE REST OF THE TEAM GOES GREAT, THAT'S FINE. SO YOU START PRAYING FOR A PLAY.

>> SAME THING WITH FANTASY, I COME UP WITH EAGLES PLAYERS THIS I'VE COME UP AGAINST AND I'M STILL ROOTING FOR MY TEAM, I JUST DON'T WANT THEM TO DO AS GOOD. LIKE DO GOOD, BUT DON'T GET ALL 10 YARDS. GET 9. AND THEN LET THE RUNNING BACK GET THE FIRST DOWN. AND THEN IT MAKES SENSE.

>> THIS IS WHAT WE ARE HERE TO TALK ABOUT, FANTASY SPORTS.

>> SOUNDS LIKE FUN.

>> I COULD TALK MORE FANTASY SPORTS BUT WE HAVE A BUNCH OF QUESTIONS FROM THE AUDIENCE.

>> THANK YOU VERY MUCH. I'LL WAIT TO WATCH THE MOVIE. SO THE QUESTION BEING, AND YOU MENTIONED THIS IS THE FIRST FILM THAT YOUR PRODUCTION COMPANY HAS PRODUCED.

>> YES.

>> AND I KNOW THROUGH YOUR PRODUCTION COMPANY YOU ARE GIVING UP AND COMING ARTISTS A PLATFORM. SO QUESTION I HAVE IS, HOW DIFFICULT WAS IT TO SET UP HARTBEAT INITIALLY? AND WAS IT ALWAYS YOUR GOAL TO PRODUCE MOVIES OR TO CREATE A GLOBAL BRAND?

>> YES. ONCE YOU UNDERSTAND IT. ONCE YOU ARE AROUND AND YOU REALLY SEE HOW COMPANIES ARE BUILT, ESPECIALLY ONES THAT ARE BUILT FROM THE GROUND UP, IT'S ALL ABOUT INVESTING IN YOURSELF. SO WHEN MY COMEDY CAREER STARTED TO TAKE OFF AND PUT ME IN A POSITION TO WHERE I HAVE FINANCIAL SUCCESS, I TOOK THAT MONEY, AND I DECIDED TO INVEST THAT MONEY IN BUILDING A COMPANY MYSELF. AND IN HIRING PEOPLE, IN GETTING AN OFFICE, AND PUTTING THE SHAPE AND MOLD OF WHAT A COMPANY LOOKS LIKE. WITHOUT THE KNOWLEDGE, I'M JUST GOING TO PUT IT TOGETHER. AND AS I PUT IT TOGETHER, I SAID, NOW I KNOW WHAT I WANT. I WANT TO EVENTUALLY BE ABLE TO GO TO STUDIOS AND SAY MY COMPANY IS GOING TO BRING YOU THIS. I DON'T KNOW HOW TO GET IT. BUT I GOT THE SPACE. AND I GOT A COUPLE PEOPLE. SO THAT'S JUST CREATING STUFF. AND THEN I HAVE TO WORK ON SELLING IT. AS YOU ARE SELLING STUFF, IT'S LIKE OH WAIT I'M SELLING THE STUFF, BUT INSTEAD OF KEVIN HART SELLING IT, I SHOULD SELL IT UNDER THE UMBRELLA OF MY COMPANY, THEN THE GUY COMES IN GOES TO MY COMPANY, AND PAYS THE PEOPLE.

>> OH, THAT'S HOW IT HAPPENS. WAIT, WHY DON'T I FIND SOME PEOPLE THAT WERE RESPECTED IN THE WORLD OF ENTERTAINMENT AND SEE IF I CAN HIRE SOME OF THOSE PEOPLE TO COME AND HELP ME RUN MY COMPANY BECAUSE THEN I'LL LEARN, BUT NOW I GOT THE REAL PEOPLE IN PLACE, BECAUSE I KNOW WHAT I WANT, I CAN COMMUNICATE IT, I JUST DON'T KNOW HOW TO STRUCTURE IT. BECAUSE WHEN YOU ARE NOT AFRAID TO TALK LIKE THIS OUT LOUD, YOU LOOK UP AND ALL THE STEPS ARE IN PLACE, YOU GO OH MY GOD, I'VE HAD HAD A FUNCTIONING COMPANY FOR XYZ AMOUNT OF TIME, AND ALL THIS TIME I'VE BEEN GROOMING MYSELF AND MY COMPANY FOR THE MOMENT THAT'S NOW HERE. THE SUPERSTAR OF KEVIN HART IS HUGE, BUT THE SUPERSTAR OF KEVIN HART NOW BRINGS SUPERSTAR OPPORTUNITIES TO HIS COMPANY. I DIDN'T WANT TO BRING THOSE TO MY COMPANY UNTIL MY COMPANY WAS READY. MY COMPANY IS NOW READY TO TAKE ON THOSE OPPORTUNITIES BECAUSE A CONVERSATION WITH ME GETS MERGED INTO HARTBEAT. SO I NEVER WANT PEOPLE TO LOOK AT MY COMPANY, OH, THEY ARE NOT DOING GOOD OVER THERE. THEY DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING. INSTEAD, YOU SAY THE SAME REPRESENTATION THAT HE GIVES IS THE SAME THAT'S WITHIN HIS COMPANY. SO I WAS VERY PATIENT ABOUT THE BUILD BECAUSE I KNEW WHAT I WANTED BUT WAS STRATEGIC WHEN I WANTED TO PUSH THE BUTTON AND ACTIVATING THE TRUE LAUNCH OF GETTING IT. THIS IS THE FIRST ACTIVATION. BUT THIS HAS BEEN IN THE BUILD FOR, HOW MANY YEARS NOW, HOW MANY YEARS?

>> EASY TWO YEARS.

>> TWO. I WOULD SAY THE COMPANY.

>> THREE TO FOUR.

>> I WOULD SAY FOUR. THE COMPANY HARTBEAT AT LEAST FOUR.

>> I THINK THAT'S SUCH GREAT ADVICE, YOU CAN'T BE FEARFUL, YOU HAVE TO ASK QUESTIONS.

>> YEAH, BECAUSE YOU DON'T KNOW. NOTHING WRONG WITH NOT KNOWING. DON'T BE AFRAID TO BE DUMB FOR A SECOND. THAT'S ALL RIGHT. THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT. I CONSIDER MYSELF SMARTEST DUMMY IN THE WORLD.

>> VERY DUMB.

>> NOT A PROBLEM.

>> I AM A GENUS DUMMY. I DON'T KNOW. EXPLAIN IT TO ME. THAT'S PART OF LIFE.

>> ALSO WHAT KEVIN IS GREAT AT HE PLAYS POKER AND HE'S A GAMBLER A LOT. BUT WHAT HE WILL GAMBLE ON IS HIMSELF. AND ANY OF YOU SITTING HERE AND TRYING TO BE THE WRITER OR DIRECTOR OR PRODUCER, ACTRESS, WHATEVER, ENTREPRENEUR, WHATEVER IT IS, YOU HAVE TO HAVE THE ABILITY TO GAMBLE ON YOURSELF. AND THAT'S HUGE. BECAUSE IN HOLLYWOOD, HOLLYWOOD WILL SAY, HEY, WE ARE GOING TO GIVE YOU TWO MILLION AND THAT'S IT, BUT KEVIN WILL SAY I DON'T WANT ALL THAT. WHAT I WANT IS THE BACK END. SO NOW HE'S GAMBLING BECAUSE HE MAY NOT GET THE TWO, BUT HE MIGHT GET EIGHT. AND THAT'S WHAT MAKES HIM A LOT DIFFERENT THAN EVERYBODY ELSE. AND WE KNOW THAT AND WE WATCH IT ON A DAILY BASIS. HE'LL COME IN, GUYS, LISTEN, I GOT THIS. WE ARE LIKE COOL WE'LL MAKE THIS MUCH. NO, WE ARE NOT, AT FIRST. SO WE MIGHT MAKE IT.

>> YOU LIKE HIS IMPRESSION OF YOU?

>> SPOT ON.

>> FEELS AUTHENTIC.

>> MESSAGE TO THE AUDIENCE IS GAMBLING IS A GOOD THING.

>> NEXT QUESTION.

>> YES, HI KEVIN.

>> HOW ARE YOU DOING.

>> I WANTED TO TELL YOU THAT, FIRST OF ALL, THANK YOU FOR ALWAYS SENDING THE ELEVATOR BACK DOWN, ALWAYS LOOKING OUT FOR PEOPLE.

>> THANK YOU.

>> AND ALSO TO ALL OF YOU, I SEE THAT THE RESEARCH THAT I'VE DONE SO FAR SEEMS THAT THE MOVIE IS ALL ABOUT SECOND CHANCES. AND IN LIFE WE MESS UP SOMETIMES AND WE WANT TO A DO OVER. I WANT TO ASK EACH OF YOU HAS THERE EVER BEEN A TIME YOU NEEDED A SECOND CHANCE AND GOT ONE? WHAT WAS IT?

>> WHAT? OH MY GOSH.

>> LIKE THIS WEEK?

>> YEAH, JESUS, JOEY, YOU WANT TO START. I KNOW YOU NEED A LOT, I KNOW YOU.

>> QUITE A FEW.

>> 30 CHANCES WITH JOEY.

>> NO, I'VE HAD QUITE A FEW. AND YOU KNOW IT'S HOW YOU LOOK AT IT TOO. IS IT A PROBLEM OR MISTAKE? OR IS IT A PROJECT? SO WHEN THERE IS A HICCUP, IT BECOMES A PROJECT TO WORK ON. IN HIGH SCHOOL I HAD 1.6 AND IN MY MIND I WAS GOING TO COLLEGE UNTIL THE COUNSELOR CUSSED ME OUT AND I HAD TO GO IN THERE AND CHANGE EVERYTHING. AND IF SHE DIDN'T GIVE ME THAT CHANCE I DON'T KNOW WHERE I WOULD BE RIGHT NOW. THAT'S ONE OF MINE. AND I'VE HAD A FEW. AND YOU ALL HAVE A COUPLE, SO.

>> I MEAN, I HAD A VERY GOOD LIFE, SO, YOU KNOW MY SECOND CHANCES WERE.

>> YEAH, THIS RIGHT HERE.

>> I JUST DON'T WANT TO SAY LIKE I HAD IT SO HARD. I DID COME LATE TO WRITING IN MY LIFE AS A CAREER AND HAD A LOT OF JOBS AND GOING AGAINST PEOPLE A LOT YOUNGER THAN ME. SO PEOPLE GAVE ME A CHANCE EVEN THOUGH I WAS A LITTLE THINNER ON TOP.

>> I LOVE MATT’S HONESTY. I HAD A PRETTY GOOD LIFE. NO PROBLEMS AT ALL. IT ALL WENT THE WAY IT SHOULD. EVERYTHING WAS GOD AT HOME.

>> NOTHING TO COMPLAIN ABOUT.

>> PARENTS WERE HOME.

>> THERE IS A LOT OF SMILES ALONG THE WAY.

>> HOW MANY HUGS?

>> I HAD HAD ALLOWANCE AND A CAR.

>> JOEY IS NOT BEING REAL WITH YOU GUYS. WHAT JOEY AND TIFFANY SHOWED, JOEY WAS HOMELESS. HE ALWAYS TRIES TO KEEP THIS STORY A SECRET. BUT I LOVE TO SAY IT. JOEY WAS HOMELESS AND DIDN'T WANT TO TELL ME. AS A MATTER OF FACT THE SAME WAY TIFFANY DIDN'T WANT TO TELL ME. I FOUND OUT FROM ANOTHER FRIEND THAT TOLD ME AND I WAS LIKE JOEY DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT, WE'LL BE GOOD. THAT'S HOW JOEY STARTED GOING ON THE ROAD DOING STANDS UP COMEDY. JOEY LITERALLY THE SECOND CHANCE CAME WHEN JOEY RAN INTO ANOTHER PIECE OF MONEY, AND JOEY NOW IS THE MOST FRUGAL INDIVIDUAL THAT I KNOW.

>> I DON'T SPEND A LOT.

>> JOEY DON'T SPEND NO MONEY. BECAUSE HE DOESN'T WANT TO BE HOMELESS AGAIN. HE KNOWS WHAT IT'S LIKE.

>> THAT'S A GOOD REASON.

>> THE HOMELESS THING, IT HADN'T HAPPENED YET BUT IT WAS ABOUT TO. I WAS AT A POINT WHERE I CLEANED OUT ALL MY SAVINGS AND MY SONS SAVINGS, WELL, WE TRIED. ALL RIGHT. WE ALREADY A MONTH BEHIND IN RENT, [ BLEEP ] WE HAVE TWO MORE MONTHS AND IT WAS OVER. AND MY PLOT WAS TO GO BACK HOME AND I WAS DONE. BUT I FELT LIKE I DID EVERYTHING. AND WHAT I DIDN'T KNOW THERE WERE SOME CONVERSATIONS TO GO, HEY, MAN, JOEY ON HIS WAY HOME. AND I WAS, AND KEVIN CALLED ME AND THIS IS WHAT HE ASKED ME, YOU GOOD? YEAH, I'M GOOD. WHAT'S GOING ON? HEY, MAN, YOU NEED ANYTHING? NO. THE AND WHEN I SAID THAT I HAD BOXES ALREADY PACKED UP. I WAS LIKE I'M OUT OF THIS [ BLEEP ]. I'M GOING HOME TO MY MOTHER AT 40 YEARS OLD.

>> AND YOU HAD A COUPLE NIGHTS IN YOUR CAR?

>> YEAH, I SPENT A COUPLE NIGHTS, YES.

>> THE SECOND THING WAS TAXES. NOBODY EXPLAINED TAXES TO ME IN THE BEGINNING.

>> TELL HIM WHAT YOU DID WITH ALL YOUR MONEY AT FIRST?

>> WELL, MY FIRST?

>> YEAH.

>> NAME A THROWBACK JERSEY. NAME IT, I HAD IT. NAME A THROWBACK JERSEY AND HAT AND SNEAKERS TO MATCH, I HAD IT ALL. SOMEBODY WHEN THEY FINALLY SAID WELL, KEVIN WHERE IS YOUR MONEY? I SAID I DON'T KNOW. I DON'T KNOW WHERE IT WENT. WHAT DID YOU BUY? I LOOKED IN THE CLOSET I JUST SAW JERSEYS. I REALLY BLEW SO MUCH MONEY ON STUPID STUFF AND HAD A TAX BILL THAT CAME OUT OF NOWHERE. DIDN'T COME OUT OF NOWHERE BECAUSE EVERYBODY KNOWS THEY ARE COMING EXCEPT THE PEOPLE THAT AREN'T EDUCATED ON MONEY. AND THAT'S A BIG PROBLEM WITH THE WORLD TODAY. WE ASSUME THAT EVERYBODY KNOWS ABOUT MONEY. BUT THERE IS A LARGE GROUP OF PEOPLE THAT HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT FINANCES, ABOUT TAXES, ABOUT WHAT YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO PAY, ABOUT HOW MUCH COMES OUT OF A CHECK, ABOUT THAT LEVEL OF RESPONSIBILITY. AND I WAS ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE. SO WHEN IT WAS TIME TO PAY IT, I WAS LIKE WHERE AM I SUPPOSED TO GET THAT FROM? HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO DO IT?

>> YOU WERE KIND OF LIKE PAUL MANAFORT BEFORE IT WAS COOL.

>> YES.

>> SPOT ON.

>> SO LITERALLY I SPENT A LARGE PORTION OF MY 20s TRYING TO GET OUT OF TAX DEBT. AND I REMEMBER PRAYING, LIKE, GOD, IF YOU GIVE ME ONE SHOT, ONE MORE SHOT, I'LL NOT GO BACK TO THIS PLACE AGAIN. BUT I HAD TO LEARN HOW BAD THAT PLACE WAS. SO INSTEAD OF BITCHING AND COMPLAINING, I HAD TO TRULY UNDERSTAND MONEY. I HAD TO TRULY UNDERSTAND HOW TO REALLY SAVE. HOW TO PUT AWAY. HOW TO PAY THE BILLS. AND PUT A PIECE FOR YOU. AND THE GOVERNMENT. I HAD TO LEARN BECAUSE NOBODY TAUGHT ME. SO WHEN I GOT THAT SECOND CHANCE, OH MY GOD, THERE WAS, FIRST OF ALL, I PEED ON MYSELF IMMEDIATELY.

>> THAT'S TRUE.

>>AND AFTER THE PEE CAME OUT, I SAID THANK YOU GOD. BUT THAT'S A SECOND CHANCE I DESPERATELY NEEDED. THAT'S ONE OF MANY SECOND CHANCES THAT I'VE HAD. I WASN'T ALWAYS THIS TALL. I REMEMBER ASKING, I ASKED, I ASKED, I SAID, GOD, ALL I NEED IS TO GET TO 5'4", 5'5" AND I GOT A GROWTH SPURT THAT SUMMER AND SHOT UP LIKE A CANNON, WHICH IS WHY I EMBRACE IT, I EMBRACE THIS HEIGHT.

>> YOU PRAYED FOR IT.

>> YEAH. GOD WHEN I ASKED HE GAVE IT TO ME. HE DIDN'T HAVE TO GIVE ME. I WAS A SMOOTH 4'11". I COULD BE 4'11" RIGHT NOW BUT I GOT A SECOND CHANCE.

>> YOU BELIEVED IN YOURSELF.

>> YES.

>> YOU HAVE TO ASK HIM AND HE'LL GIVE IT TO YOU.

>> NEXT QUESTION.

>> HOW ARE YOU DOING GUYS?

>> MY NAME IS IT MARKEL. NICE TO MEET YOU. KEVIN HONOR TO STAND HERE IN FRONT OF YOU. YOU ARE SUCH AN INSPIRATION.

>> THANK YOU.

>> I WANTED TO ASK, SINCE I CHECK OUT ALL THE THINGS THAT YOU DO, I'M FEARLESS AND WORK ON IT. AND WHAT I WANTED TO ASK YOU, ALL OF YOU GUYS WAS, WHAT IS SOME OF THE BEST ADVICE THAT YOU'VE GOTTEN FROM SOMEBODY IN THIS INDUSTRY THAT YOU STILL USE TODAY?

>> MATT, DO YOU WANT TO GO FIRST?

>> SURE. I DON'T KNOW NECESSARILY WHERE I GOT THE ADVICE, BUT I FEEL LIKE --

>> I KNOW I'VE SAID SOME STUFF.

>> YEAH. I DON'T KNOW. I DON'T KNOW WHERE IT CAME FROM.

>> I FEEL LIKE I PROBABLY SAID SOMETHING ALONG THIS JOURNEY THAT WE'VE HAD THAT YOU CAN PULL OUT AND TELL THEM.

>> I CAN'T REALLY THINK OF ANYTHING. I THINK THAT THE MAIN THING IS TO FOCUS ON THE WORK. THERE ARE SO MANY THINGS TO BE DISTRACTED BY IN TERMS OF THINGS YOU FEEL YOU NEED TO BE DOING, LIKE NETWORKING OR RESEARCHING, OR WHATEVER IS GOING ON IN THE CELEBRITY WORLD OR TRYING TO CATCH UP WITH MOVIES AND TV OR WHATEVER IT IS YOU ARE TRYING TO DO.

>> BUT I THINK LIKE THE MAIN THING IS JUST TO LIKE FOCUS ON THE WORK. AND ALSO I'VE SEEN THIS ADVICE FROM A LOT OF PEOPLE, IS TO ALLOW YOURSELF TO BE BAD AT THE BEGINNING, AND NOT WORRY ABOUT, YOU KNOW, TURNING OUT STUFF THAT'S NOT GOOD QUALITY. THAT DOESN'T MATCH THE QUALITY THAT YOU LOOK AT AND APPRECIATE RIGHT NOW. HOLDING YOURSELF UP TO THE GREATS, IMMEDIATELY, JUST LIKE THAT JUST GET THROUGH THE FIRST FEW YEARS. JUST KNOW THE STUFF YOU MAKE WILL NOT BE TOP QUALITY. BECAUSE EACH ONE, JUST COMPLETING SOMETHING, I THINK, IS ENOUGH OF AN EXPERIENCE TO TAKE YOU UP LIKE TEN LEVELS.

>> WRITING, RIGHT?

>> SO GET IT DONE. DON'T GET IT RIGHT.

>> WHAT ABOUT YOU?

>> I THINK YOU HAVE TO FOCUS. I THINK ONE OF THE THINGS YOU SAID ABOUT BEING AROUND WITH YOUR FRIENDS AND THOSE WHO DON'T WANT TO, YOU JUST GET THEM OUT OF THE WAY. YOU HAVE TO -- LIKE IF YOU KNOW WHERE YOU ARE AND WHERE YOU ARE TRYING TO GET, FOCUS ABOUT THAT, FOCUS THAT, AND SURROUND YOURSELF WITH PEOPLE WHO HAVE THE SAME DRIVE THAT YOU HAVE. THAT'S ONE OF THE BIGGEST THINGS HAVE YOU TO DO. IF YOU HAVE A FEW PEOPLE, IT MIGHT BE A ROOMMATE, MIGHT EVEN BE YOUR MOTHER, WHOEVER THEY MAY BE, IF THEY ARE NOT THERE WITH YOU, YOU DO HAVE TO REMOVE THEM AND PUT YOURSELF IN A SITUATION WHERE EVERYBODY HAS THE SAME GOAL, OR AT LEAST THEY ARE TRYING TO DO SOMETHING. BECAUSE SOMETIMES YOUR FAMILY CAN BE YOUR WORST ONES, THEY WOULD BE LIKE WHAT'S THIS? WHAT'S THIS. YOU ARE DOING WHAT? THEY ARE PAGE WHAT? THAT'S THE THIRD TIME THEY DID THAT. YOU NEED TO QUIT. THEY HAVE POST OFFICE. THEY HAVE APPLICATIONS. THAT'S WHEN YOU MIGHT SAY MOM SHUT THE [ BLEEP ] UP. YOU MIGHT GET SHOT BUT YOU HAVE FOCUS. ONE OF THE THINGS THAT MATT SAID BE FEARLESS AND BE OKAY FOR IT NOT TO HAPPEN RIGHT AWAY.

>> AND AS STANDS UPS, WE ARE OKAY WITH BOMBING. THAT'S THE BIGGEST THING WITH THE STAND UP IS TO BE ABLE TO, WHEN YOU ARE WORKING IS WALK OFF THAT STAGE, AND SAY, ALL RIGHT, I DID 15 MINUTES IN EXACTLY A MINUTES AND A HALF WAS GOOD TONIGHT.

>> BUT KNOW THAT, MAN THAT MINUTE AND A HALF I'M BUILDING ON. THAT'S WHAT YOU GOT TO KNOW. AND YOU ARE IN NEW YORK. YOU CAN SEE SOME OF THE GREATS GO ON STAGE AND REALLY REALLY WORK. AND THE CROWD MIGHT NOT LAUGH BUT YOU WATCH THAT GUY SIX MONTHS, HIM OR HER SIX MONTHS LATER THEN YOU ARE LIKE BOY THAT SET IS INCREDIBLE. THAT'S BECAUSE THEY ARE WORKING AND THEY KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TRYING TO DO.

>> I THINK THE BEST PIECE OF ADVICE IS FROM CHRIS ROCK. CHRIS ROCK TOLD ME YEARS AGO, YOUNG KEVIN, HE SAID DON'T BE LOCAL. HE SAID THERE IS A WORLD THAT LIKES TO LAUGH OUT THERE. HE SAID PEOPLE JUST DON'T LAUGH HERE. THESE COMEDY CLUBS THAT YOU SEE. THERE IS A WORLD. DO NOT BE LOCAL. AND IT DIDN'T DAWN ON ME UNTIL YEARS LATER WHAT HE WAS TALKING ABOUT. AND COMEDIANS DO HAVE THE ABILITY TO TRAVEL THE WORLD AND DELIVER LAUGHTER IF THEY CHOOSE TO EMBRACE THAT. IF THEY CHOOSE TO WORK THAT AND GO TO ALL OF THESE DIFFERENT COUNTRIES THEY CAN. AND I STARTED TO JUST GO. I STARTED TO TRAVEL AND BOOK SMALL SHOWS ALL OVER THE WORLD. SOME OF THEM WEREN'T WORTH THE MONEY. SOME THE FLIGHT WAS WAY MORE THAN THE MONEY, YOU KNOW, BUT IT WAS ABOUT BUILDING THE AUDIENCES. AND NOW I'M AT A POINT WHERE I TOUR AT AN INTERNATIONAL LEVEL, AND IT'S AT ARENAS ALL OVER. SO MY BEST ADVICE IS GIVE PEOPLE A CHANCE TO LAUGH.

>> YOU ARE RIGHT, PEOPLE LOVE TO LAUGH. IF YOU WANT TO LAUGH AND SEE AMAZING COMEDIANS AT WORK OR SEE TIFFANY HADDISH OR KEVIN HART IN A CHICKEN SUIT.

>> SEPTEMBER 28th.

>> MAKE SURE YOU CHECK OUT NIGHT SCHOOL COMING OUT SEPTEMBER 28th. GIVE IT UP FOR KEVIN HART AND JOEY WELLS.

>> THANK YOU VERY MUCH. SURELY APPRECIATE IT.

Browse Collection